Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:03 pm

It all sounds great, I just find it odd that Qantas, the AUSTRALIAN airline will fly from just MEL & SYD. Whereas Emirates, a foreign airline will fly from ADL, BNE and PER too.

Obviously there is enough traffic from those three cities onto Dubai and further points in Europe - it's just odd that Qantas has no interest in flying those routes, and Emirates does.

Kind of like United flying BNE ADL and PER to LAX but not Qantas. Just strikes me as odd.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
The more I read the happier I am about this. Looks like many/most QF benefits (even the baggage allowance) will apply even if you are flying on an EK flight number not the QF one:-

http://www.qantasandemirates.com/dow...0QUESTIONS.pdf

Maybe not SCs when flying on an EK flight number, but why should this surprise or disappoint - they are not in OW, so you get miles but no SCs just like flying with all other of QFs non-OW airline partners.

I also see no mention anywhere of dropping codeshares etc with BA etc.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
QF9 to where? SIN or LHR?
MEL-SIN
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by edy4eva
MEL-SIN
13. If I am a Qantas customer flying internationally from April 2013 onwards,
what does this mean for my travel?

If you are flying to North or South America, South Africa, Japan, Bangkok, as well as New Zealand, The Philippines, Jakarta, Hawaii, China or other Qantas codeshare destinations you are not affected at all by these announcements.

If you are flying to Singapore or Hong Kong, your flights may have a different departure and arrival time however you will still travel on the same day. We will advise you directly of any time changes to your itinerary.

If you are travelling to the UK or Europe from April 2013, your flight will operate via Dubai and then onward to your destination, subject to regulatory approval.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by m0hamed
The FAQ says you can earn and redeem FF points, but there is no mention of Status Credits on EK.

There already is a 4th tier of Skywards called I/O (Invitation Only).
i/O is technically not a 4th tier as it is not published. As it says, its by invitation only. (A bit like Chairmans Lounge) We regard Skywards as a 2 tier program only - as I personally dont think entry level (ie Blue) is an actual level.

I'm pretty sure you're going to be able earn status credits and tier miles on each others flights, and will try and confirm with EK today.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:17 pm

Qantas Club members may not like this bit - looks like if you flying on an EK flight number (or on EK metal even on a QF flight number?!?) you will only get lounge access in Dubai but not at any of their other destinations:-

23. As a Qantas Club member will I have access to Emirates lounges worldwide?
If you are travelling on Qantas, your lounge access will remain unchanged. If you are
flying with Emirates you will have access to the Emirates lounge in Dubai.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Qantas Club members may not like this bit - looks like if you flying on an EK flight number (or on EK metal even on a QF flight number?!?) you will only get lounge access in Dubai but not at any of their other destinations
I read that too, but it mentions Qantas Club, not QF FFP, so I wonder if those card holders will have access to EK's lounge network outside of Dubai?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by TIMOS
It all sounds great, I just find it odd that Qantas, the AUSTRALIAN airline will fly from just MEL & SYD. Whereas Emirates, a foreign airline will fly from ADL, BNE and PER too.

Obviously there is enough traffic from those three cities onto Dubai and further points in Europe - it's just odd that Qantas has no interest in flying those routes, and Emirates does.

Kind of like United flying BNE ADL and PER to LAX but not Qantas. Just strikes me as odd.
Emirates can afford to do so as its cost base is so much lower. Qantas can't fly the routes and make a profit, Emirates can. Simple maths really.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF GO
what's going to happen to other OneWorld flyers on QF code EK metal?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If Qantas is flying to DXB , does this mean that an xONE3 will be able to used for an itinerary including Australia given that DXB counts as Europe region
Originally Posted by serfty
Unlikely as EK have stated today thay have no plans to join any Alliance.

http://www.qantasandemirates.com
Edited to add:
IMHO the big point is that we will be able to fly QF operated and marketed MEL/SYD-LHR/DXB without touching Asia.
This will make possible xONE3s that include SWP (and Europe and one of the Americas)
and to remove
IMHO the big point is that we will be able to fly QF metal MEL/SYD-LHR (or DXB of course) without touching Asia. This will make an ex-SWP xONE3 possible

Last edited by pandaperth; Sep 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm Reason: Sharpened my thinking
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
I read that too, but it mentions Qantas Club, not QF FFP, so I wonder if those card holders will have access to EK's lounge network outside of Dubai?
Yep, that is why I specified Qantas Club members - it is quite clear that SGs and WPs will get lounge access everywhere, its just that Club members won't. Sounds like the BA issue all over again for them.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ozzie
Emirates can afford to do so as its cost base is so much lower. Qantas can't fly the routes and make a profit, Emirates can. Simple maths really.
If it's that simple, then how can Qantas make a profit from MEL & SYD?

BNE is not that much smaller than MEl traffic wise.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
Qantas Club members may not like this bit - looks like if you flying on an EK flight number (or on EK metal even on a QF flight number?!?) you will only get lounge access in Dubai but not at any of their other destinations:-

23. As a Qantas Club member will I have access to Emirates lounges worldwide?
If you are travelling on Qantas, your lounge access will remain unchanged. If you are
flying with Emirates you will have access to the Emirates lounge in Dubai.
this is actually a pretty good compromise. I thought I read somewhere the layovers on Dubai average 4 hours so enough time to need access and have a shower and some food.

The only time a QClub member wouldn't have access is their one departure from Europe... and with on-line check-in you only need to be there 90 mins before. So all up not too bad.

It's not like BA - where you could stopover in London and then not have lounge access leaving London etc.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
BNE has always been smaller for QF (I suspect it wont support A380) although has never got the QF love (lounges and all), even after forcing pax from OOL to transit it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
It may sound nitpicky...But I hate Dubai airport. I would rather fly through Singapore. And if that means tossing Qantas/Emirates for another airline, then so be it.

I'm sure this will be beneficial for some, but I have no interest in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.