Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Rumour: QF+EK announcement next week.

Old Sep 4, 12, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
anat0l, take a look at some trip reports that feature DXB, even the lounges are a zoo, with people sleeping everywhere. It's honestly pretty awful and is nothing like the relative serenity and space of SIN or HKG, I'd even add BKK into the mix too to be honest.
Have you been through DXB? The 1st lounge is nothing like a zoo since, unlike QF, they do not allow anyone with a pretty coloured card in; the lounge is never ime busy at all

Dave
Old Sep 4, 12, 4:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I'd rather connect through HKG too. I prefer two flights where it's possible to get some sleep on both if I choose too. And besides, DXB is a total mess.

anat0l, take a look at some trip reports that feature DXB, even the lounges are a zoo, with people sleeping everywhere. It's honestly pretty awful and is nothing like the relative serenity and space of SIN or HKG, I'd even add BKK into the mix too to be honest.
The F lounge in DXB is far from a zoo. Even during peak times (midnight - 04:00 I have never had a problem getting plenty of space or even a whole TV section if travelling w others. I've heard the C lounge can get crowded but don't have first hand experience. All I can say is the EK F lounge rates right up there w the LH, TG, CX & SQ F lounges. The only improvement that desperately needs to be made is w the shower rooms but I think I'm the only one complaining about that

I wonder if there are people on this forum that remember DXB & the EK F lounge from before Skywards & even T-1 was built or DXB Even heard of a air bridge. It was a small room w no windows, seating for maybe 20-30 people & a few snacks here & there. Now that was a zoo but fond memories & not so long ago
Old Sep 4, 12, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
I wonder if there are people on this forum that remember DXB & the EK F lounge from before Skywards & even T-1 was built or DXB Even heard of a air bridge. It was a small room w no windows, seating for maybe 20-30 people & a few snacks here & there. Now that was a zoo but fond memories & not so long ago
I remember DXB with EK at the old terminal and the small 1st lounge
Old Sep 4, 12, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Have you been through DXB?
Yep, a couple of times. Not been in the F lounge though, I was referring to the J lounge. The F lounge may well be the only quiet place there though...
Old Sep 4, 12, 6:29 am

Yep, a couple of times. Not been in the F lounge though, I was referring to the J lounge. The F lounge may well be the only quiet place there though...
The F lounge is an oasis of calm and is the same size as the J lounge - and there are only a handful of people there at any one time. Great restaurant, great menu, personal service, the best shoe shine EVER, as much room as you could ever want...no queues for toilets, showers etc etc.
Old Sep 4, 12, 8:36 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
Originally Posted by cityflyer369 View Post
the lengths of flights along the Oz-HKG-Europe routes
8-9 hours + 10-12 hours
the lengths of flights along the Oz-Dubai-Europe routes
11-14 hours + 3-7 hours.

I'd rather connect through HKG.
Fair enough. My point was just that QF is in a better situation if they cut down their Oz-Europe service to 11 - 14 hour flights to Dubai than to 8 hour flights Oz-HKG. In the case of the Dubai alternative they transport passengers 3/4 of the distance to Europe, while in the case of the HKG alternative they transport passengers only 4/10 of the way to Europe. This is why I think that a partership with EK is a smarter move than a partnership with CX.

Regarding my personal preferences, I am happier with one long flight and one shorter flight than with two flights of medium length, but obviously this is a personal subjective matter and irrelevant from a strategic point of view.
Old Sep 4, 12, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
For those of us who are OW partner FF members (with an occasional nod to QF) the other additions to OW (MH and UL) offer some respite to the internalization of QF's offerings (ie almost everything on QF metal is inexpensive N Q or E class fares which credit ONLY to QF plus non OW airline code-shares)

MEL/SYD-LHR has a mid point almost exactly in CMB.

Happy wandering.

Fred
Old Sep 4, 12, 10:55 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B208 Safari/7534.48.3)

Regarding the flight sector times, I always thought long flight to DXB then shorter flight to EU would be better. Then I researched the options and found in several cases the layover can be really long, especially for the cheaper fares. I guess that's why there's always so many people sleeping on the floors.
Old Sep 4, 12, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justin_krusty View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B208 Safari/7534.48.3)

Regarding the flight sector times, I always thought long flight to DXB then shorter flight to EU would be better. Then I researched the options and found in several cases the layover can be really long, especially for the cheaper fares. I guess that's why there's always so many people sleeping on the floors.
From Sydney, there are flights in the morning and the evening so decent chance of avoiding long connections; going to major points in Europe is normally easy with only a cpl of hours connection ; from the other AU points, istr that they all arrive into DXB early in morning allowing connection to the morning set of flights to Europe

Taking FRA ( since that is a location in the rumour mill ) , there are 3 flights 03:40 , 08:25 and 14:30 . The 03:40 doesn't connect well from AU , but the 08:25 nicely connects with the overnights from Oz; the overnight nonstop flights from sydney arrive at 05:45 , from MEL at 05:25 and BNE at 05:30

If there is an enforced long connection ( 8 hrs in economy / 6 otherwise ) EK will provide hotel accommodation on most fares

I haven't seen many fares where there is a requirement for a long stop, just normal availability issues
Old Sep 5, 12, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justin_krusty View Post

On the way back from Europe when you arrive in Sydney early morning, via DXB has its advantages as you can get a decent rest before arrival. On the flights via SIN, once Dinner, Breakfast, take-off, landing etc. are taken into account you'd be lucky to get 4 hours sleep and without excessive dosages of caffeine, you're wrecked the next day.

For me, flights around the length of HKG-SYD is my ideal flight length (also NRT-SYD, BKK-SYD and PVG-SYD). Around 9 hours means I can get 6 hours sleep and CX can be quite quick (from my experience) with Dinner and Breakfast service. Add in factors such as a better crew ratio, a far superior bathroom ratio (1:13 passengers in J) and a guaranteed fully flat bed unlike QF or EK and this is why I am a CX fan (and why, admittedly, I have a bias towards wanting QF to partner more with CX).
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:22 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Originally Posted by Platinum A332 View Post
n J) and a guaranteed fully flat bed unlike QF or EK and this is why I am a CX fan (and why, admittedly, I have a bias towards wanting QF to partner more with CX).
I would say one of the major reasons QF won't partner with CX is that CX doesn't have the European network that EK has. EK can funnel way more passengers onto QF flights than CX can.

Plus the fact that CX has many more non stop flights to cities in Australia hence there is no benefit for passengers to change from CX to QF in HKG.
Old Sep 5, 12, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I would say one of the major reasons QF won't partner with CX is that CX doesn't have the European network that EK has. EK can funnel way more passengers onto QF flights than CX can.

Plus the fact that CX has many more non stop flights to cities in Australia hence there is no benefit for passengers to change from CX to QF in HKG.
True, but EK has 8.3% of the outbound Australian market vs. around 5% for CX (this is without the addition in the upcoming year of the A380 to MEL, daily service to ADL and 3rd daily flight to PER).

The argument goes both ways, what is the benefit for passengers to change from EK to QF in DXB?
Old Sep 5, 12, 2:30 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
Originally Posted by Platinum A332 View Post
The argument goes both ways, what is the benefit for passengers to change from EK to QF in DXB?
Agreed. I really only see upside to EK on this.

It is also interesting to compare QF's plight to other airlines at the other end of the line. Basically QF has the complaint that it is end of the line like LH, AY, and AZ. They all stopped flying all the way to Australia, passing on passengers to QF/SQ like QF is proposing to do with EK. They are all airlines which are now struggling (except maybe LH).
Old Sep 5, 12, 2:48 am

Programs: Starbucks Rewards GOLD
OK, so it's 18:49 in Sydney now. Shouldn't the announcement have happened already?
Old Sep 5, 12, 3:17 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by mario View Post
OK, so it's 18:49 in Sydney now. Shouldn't the announcement have happened already?
EK412 departing DXB 05SEP. It arrives in SYD tomorrow morning.

Search this Thread