Search

Classic Redemption - Japan Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Classic Redemption - Japan Airlines

Hi FT,
So I just called up QFF to try and make a redemption booking on Japan Airlines in January 2013, but the phone agent told me that JL flights can only be made 2 months in advance ... Is he pulling my leg?!

I made the exact same phone call two days ago; and the agent was able to get taxes and an itinerary for me - all I had to do was get back to them with a confirmation of dates with my colleagues ... please tell me that this 2 month rule is not true!?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have no personal experience of this, but if you're trying to book a JL domestic then you might want to read these threads from the BA board as you may be encountering the same issue:-
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by im.daniel
Hi FT,
So I just called up QFF to try and make a redemption booking on Japan Airlines in January 2013, but the phone agent told me that JL flights can only be made 2 months in advance ... Is he pulling my leg?!

I made the exact same phone call two days ago; and the agent was able to get taxes and an itinerary for me - all I had to do was get back to them with a confirmation of dates with my colleagues ... please tell me that this 2 month rule is not true!?
JL domestic fares don't even go on sale until 2 months before the flight, not just the redemption seats.

He is definitely not pulling your leg. They can give you the number of points required etc, but they can't actually book it.

I assume you are aware of how cheap JAL domestic flights can be when you use Yokoso fares?

In case you aren't, here is the link to JAL's website describing the Yokoso fare: http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

Also advance bookings can give you a very similar fare to Yokoso without having had to fly in on OW.

There is a Star Alliance equivalent on NH if you are not flying OW to Japan.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
JL domestic fares don't even go on sale until 2 months before the flight, not just the redemption seats.
+1

Also consider paying for Domestic J class if you want more seat / leg room than "ordinary" seats. No special cabin service, but only a few $ more than Y, its good value if points / SCs are important.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Thanks for your input guys! I checked the threads Globaliser linked me - and luckily for me, if one is booking a domestic flight connecting to an international flight on JL; the two month rule doesn't apply. It only applies on domestic itineraries only.

I was able to book a oneway redemption from NGO-NRT-GUM; very happy with the outcome.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Actually now revenue bookings can be made on JL website up to December.
I think they have recently extended the advance booking period for revenue bookings, although it may have been going on for a while.

Originally Posted by im.daniel
if one is booking a domestic flight connecting to an international flight on JL; the two month rule doesn't apply. It only applies on domestic itineraries only.
That is indeed correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.