Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lounge availability LAX prior to night Qantas flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge availability LAX prior to night Qantas flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by number_6
That was built circa 2003 -- yes there is a tunnel joining T4 and TBIT. But LAX in its wisdom decided to keep it closed for pax. For a while it was used for overflow immigration/customs processing for flights arriving at TBIT or T4 to be processed in the other terminal -- so arrivals only. LAX has a long and proud tradition of closing down airside tunnels linking terminals, prefering to have pax inconvenienced instead
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/bo...e%20031912.pdf
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I've done the T4-TBIT walk a number of times in the past year and it's really not as bad as it used to be. The security check across from QF F check-in is not horrendous - at least at the times I've used it.. Yeah, who wants to do the shoe and all that shuffle again but really it's not so bad and they're relatively polite. IIRC the last time I went through about 2 months ago the TSA ID checker was making "friendly" comments to everyone he checked, like "Oh you're going to Germany - that's cool!" or with me I think he said something like "We love you aussies! Come back again soon!" - it was nice but not too annoyingly so.

I also agree that TBIT OW F lounge is not so comfy, but I think this is more a crowding issue than much else. I mean I arrived one time when it was relatively quiet and seating was plentiful and the food/bev area was not full of warm bodies gobbling all in sight, and it was almost a pleasure... until it filled as the late flights approached and then it became uncomfortable.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:35 pm

What if I'm checking in 2 hours prior to departure? TBIT I expect?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I would say 2 hours prior you'd be pushing it to go to T4 and spend any meaningful time there (assuming TSA lets you through) before you needed to transfer to TBIT.

I'd also comment that on my last trip our 380 was at, I believe, one of the new gates (it was 135 or 137 IIRC) and that was quite a walk from the current lounge locations - on the order of 10-15 mins depending on how fast you walk, pit stops etc. The new section of the terminal is actually quite nice IMHO.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Lounge access in LAX (arriving on QF connecting to American Eagle)

Hello,

I am a13-yr 1K evacuee from United's rapidly failing program. Looking forward to a long relationship with One World.

for the last 10-12 years, I have flown TPAC 6-8 times per year on UA and have fallen into a happy routine until Mr Smisek made it intolerable for me at every level.

Therefore, next week sees my first QF flight (QF93 MEL-LAX) connecting in LAX with an American Eagle flight out of T4.

Please can you all help me regarding recommendations for where to shower, what lounge to use, etc. I have about 4 hours at LAX.

Thanks and looking forward to learning more about your ranks.

(SORRY: Should have added that I have been granted AA EXP status and am flying in PE)
Lurker
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Lurker
Hello,

I am a13-yr 1K evacuee from United's rapidly failing program. Looking forward to a long relationship with One World.

for the last 10-12 years, I have flown TPAC 6-8 times per year on UA and have fallen into a happy routine until Mr Smisek made it intolerable for me at every level.

Therefore, next week sees my first QF flight (QF93 MEL-LAX) connecting in LAX with an American Eagle flight out of T4.

Please can you all help me regarding recommendations for where to shower, what lounge to use, etc. I have about 4 hours at LAX.

Thanks and looking forward to learning more about your ranks.

(SORRY: Should have added that I have been granted AA EXP status and am flying in PE)
Lurker
Your only lounge will be the AAdmirals Club in T4.

Normally, an EXP would not have access prior to a domestic flight unless also an AAdmirals Club member, but since you are on an international itinerary (connecting off a QF flight) I am not sure what the situation is here. Might be better to pop into the very friendly American AAdvantage forum and ask the more knowledgeable folks over there.

Dave
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lurker
< snip >

Lurker
As an AA Exp Plat = OW Emerald lounge on an international itinerary access will be as here: http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access#tier

Enjoy QF93 in PE. Interested in your comparison to UA
As a OW Emerald you will access to the MEL first lounge ^
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As an AA Exp Plat = OW Emerald lounge on an international itinerary access will be as here: http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access#tier

Enjoy QF93 in PE. Interested in your comparison to UA
As a OW Emerald you will access to the MEL first lounge ^
Thank you Mwenenzi, I will report back.

Lurker
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes, and at LAX AA does have a first class "Flagship" lounge within the Admirals Club, across from Gate 40 in the main building of T4. It's quite nice by AA lounge standards (although you'll find it a big, big step down from the Flounge in Melbourne). Remember to hold on to your QF boarding pass so you can present it as you enter the club (thus demonstrating that you're connecting from an international segment). You'll get a keycard that lets you in to the Flagship part of the lounge. And you will of course find showers.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
When you enter the LAX T4 F/L you have to hand over your BP and key card. At that point, ask about a shower, they will either give you a key immediately or put you on a waiting list.

See this post from a few years ago - it is mainly still relevant: (Arrive at TBIT, departing MEL, flying on the SMF)
Originally Posted by serfty
You will arrive at LAX and almost certainly clear immigration at T4.

If you have luggage you will need to collect it and then drop it off as the designated point past immigration/customs. It should already have been tagged through to DFW when checking in at SYD T1.

You will find your self 'landside' and will need to go through LAX T4 security to access the F/L and your Flight. Your BP for AA2446 should have been issued before departing SYD so probably no need to use the main check-in counters.

The F/L entrance is part of the A/C and you will need to proceed there (IIRC it's about 60 yards along the concourse and on the right after you exit security). They should gave you a F/L Ving card before you proceed upstairs where you can access the F/L (top of the stairs and to the right along the counters then left at the end).

AA Flights are not generally called in the F/L so you will need to get to the designated gate at least ½ before departure time. Check at the A/C or F/L counters to see if your flight is on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.