Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Is it just me? or are Qantas FF miles worthless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me? or are Qantas FF miles worthless?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are a few oddities where QF comes out decently for awards against AA but these are few
care to name any?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Rcarentals
care to name any?
a couple are

LHR-TIP ( short flight , but is Europe - Africa using AA miles )
v short flights in economy class within USA

Dave
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

i found another one..
JFK-YUL its 8000 each way. just dont know how much fee's they'd add, as well cant seem to find any availability this year.. ROFL!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You would find the +++ comes to around USD5 ...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Well I am with Aadvantage and LTP.Wife is with QFF and WP-that means as we basically do the same travel-in J-it is easier to reach OWE with QFF.
Upgrades on QFF can be reasonable so a good use of her QFF points.
Third the ability to get miles and SCs on QFF any seat awards is certainly better than Aadvantage.
And 4th-getting to QF gold or plat means entry into QPs/J lounges as well as ACs/flagship lounge.
5th-ability to transfer miles for free with QFF
So definitely some positives for QFF v Aadvantage
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drron
Well I am with Aadvantage and LTP.Wife is with QFF and WP-that means as we basically do the same travel-in J-it is easier to reach OWE with QFF.
Upgrades on QFF can be reasonable so a good use of her QFF points.
Third the ability to get miles and SCs on QFF any seat awards is certainly better than Aadvantage.
And 4th-getting to QF gold or plat means entry into QPs/J lounges as well as ACs/flagship lounge.
5th-ability to transfer miles for free with QFF
So definitely some positives for QFF v Aadvantage
Unless doing full economy to business or business to 1st , I would not say that QFF upgrade awards are reasonable cost. Upgrades from discount economy are, imo, v expensive . e.g. 92k to upgrade LHR-SYD vs 128k for a business award ( 72% of the cost of an outfight award ). If doing a business to 1st upgrade, then I agree that they are pretty reasonably priced at 60k and comparable to AA for a similar distance

AA anyseat awards are not ridiculously priced unlike QF ones; 2x miles for an anyseat award as long as appropriate of Y,J or F is available... no 1,000,000 costs ever quoted by AA; it can be possible to receive credit for anyseat AA awards if credited to a different scheme

Lounge access is indeed a benefit of QFF

Transferring miles for free may indeed be a benefit though personally haven't had much use for it

AA also permits awards to be booked for anyone rather than just family

AA also provides 8 Systemwide upgrades at top tier status which is quite a bonus

This week however, US Airways is my favourite; just purchased 150k miles for about $3700 and got a 1st class return from LHR-SYD for trip back to Oz
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Our upgrades are from J-F on QF.
Any seat awards are not all ridiculously priced.Have recently scored 2 JASAs SYD-JNB at about 10% above the classic award points.Then 2 FASAs at the J classic points price JNB-SYD.Those I regard as good value.
And we also bought our US miles last week.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Not really. It depends on how you look at it. I managed to book two RTW first tickets using miles for this year (of course, booked 12 months in advance). Yes, it cost 900,000 odd points, but then I wouldn't have gotten those points in the first place if I'd used AA as probably 75% were from credit card spend.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozzie
Not really. It depends on how you look at it. I managed to book two RTW first tickets using miles for this year (of course, booked 12 months in advance). Yes, it cost 900,000 odd points, but then I wouldn't have gotten those points in the first place if I'd used AA as probably 75% were from credit card spend.
nice spend!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The best use of QFFFP I have found is for some (not all) domestic business class QF Any Seat award. There are occasionally stupidly cheap ones around and you get some points back as you earn points and SCs (not that SCs matter to me) on them.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The best use of QFFFP I have found is for some (not all) domestic business class QF Any Seat award. There are occasionally stupidly cheap ones around and you get some points back as you earn points and SCs (not that SCs matter to me) on them.
now that sounds nice...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:20 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
now that sounds nice...

Any seat awards are absolutely wonderful. I like how I can, with a bit of searching get a one way F seat from SYD-LAX (or vice versa) for 144,000 QFF points and earn points and SCs towards requalification.

Have already booked by JASA for MEL-LAX-JFK return for next year. ^
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:49 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by Hvr
I like how I can, with a bit of searching get a one way F seat from SYD-LAX (or vice versa) for 144,000 QFF points and earn points and SCs towards requalification.

^
I was just looking at any seat rewards for MEL-FRA (F class) and every day was roughly 692,000 points each way. Of course I was looking at the next couple of months so that may have something to do with it, but how did you find an F seat for 144,000???
Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
can you give an example of some of these "easy" Qantas credit card offers? haven't seemed to be able to beat the CITI 50k AA visa 50k AA amex 50k AA business visa?

it looks like Qantas has really neglected their FrequentFlyer program...
In the past 12 months I have signed up for:

Citibank Platinum (now closed) $125 annual fee (1/2 price) > 60,000 QFF Points
Deathstar Mastercard $0 annual fee (first year) > 30,000 QFF Points

(...and a Virgin Flyer CC with 50,000 Velocity Points).

Speaking of Velocity...it can offer much better value than QFF...e.g. EY flights to Europe with no fuel fines.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
... Of course I was looking at the next couple of months so that may have something to do with it, but how did you find an F seat for 144,000???
Patience helps.

I had a fully refundable Business any seat award for MEL-LAX booked at 11½ months out with an Expertflyer alert for P class.

That came up (luckily I guess) 8 months out and was able to book FASA online and cancel the JASA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.