Sri Lankan Airlines join oneworld

Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Sri Lankan Airlines join oneworld

Interestingly, no press release from Qantas, but I digress.

http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=29625

Some interesting fifth freedom routes available, such as BKK-PEK/PVG/CAN/HKG, so could have some benefits for QFF in the region. UL did fly to SYD and MEL at one stage.

As an aside, does anyone know what the UL schedules were for SYD and MEL?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Does EK still have a management/shareholding deal with UL or did this expire a number of years ago?
Anyway is this a big gain for oneworld or is it just making up numbers in the alliance game?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I suspect many in QF HO are trying to figure out where CMB is and then whether they should operate a flight there (no not JetStar).
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by og
I suspect many in QF HO are trying to figure out where CMB is and then whether they should operate a flight there (no not JetStar).
A PER-CMB flight would be nice (don't care if it's QF or UL)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
I agree with your sentiment on many trying to figure out where CMB is. I disagree with your ludicrous idea that QF is considering flying anywhere new overseas!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Does EK still have a management/shareholding deal with UL or did this expire a number of years ago?
From the post 3 in the OW thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-oneworld.html

8 Jul 2010 http://www.srilankanewstoday.com/news.php?newsid=1737
The Government has become the sole owner of SriLankan Airlines as it has purchased all shares of the Emirates recently.

The Government has purchased 43 percent of shares from Emirates and its share ownership has increased to 94.6 percent. The balance 5.4 percent shares belong to the SriLankan Airlines employees.
< snip>
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
I agree with your sentiment on many trying to figure out where CMB is. I disagree with your ludicrous idea that QF is considering flying anywhere new overseas!
With QF moving from EZE to SCL, it demonstrates the benefit of supporting OW hubs. I suspect that keeps the South American route viable.

A future move in supporting CMB may build business for the Indian sub continent. QF seem to have abandoned China (possisbly because no one in QF HO knows anything about China), so perhaps its time to focus on India. Working with UL is probably the only way to do this since the BOM flight was given to JetStar.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF, Virgin Australia
Fantastic news. Together with MH, this provides great coverage for Oneworld across South-east Asia, South Asia and the Middle East. Looking forward to some status runs on MH and UL
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: QFF
It might make starting a xONE3 out of CMB more viable. The last time I looked at it, the cost and scheduling to get to/from CMB wasn't worth it.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by Himeno
It might make starting a xONE3 out of CMB more viable. The last time I looked at it, the cost and scheduling to get to/from CMB wasn't worth it.
Or they'd just increase the ex-CMB cost, now that it's a OW hub and thus easy to get to?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
Or they'd just increase the ex-CMB cost, now that it's a OW hub and thus easy to get to?
NRT is a oneworld hub and is one of the cheapest places in Asia to start a DONE3.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Interestingly, no press release from Qantas, but I digress.

http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=29625

Some interesting fifth freedom routes available, such as BKK-PEK/PVG/CAN/HKG, so could have some benefits for QFF in the region. UL did fly to SYD and MEL at one stage.

As an aside, does anyone know what the UL schedules were for SYD and MEL?
Those 5th freedom flights are excellent! They mostly leave BKK at reasonable times (except for the flight to PVG which is at 7am or something). I have flown both to CAN and HKG with them (in biz) and they were excellent - tasty food, comfortable seats and fantastic service!

Lounge facilities at HKG are miserable (the CAAC lounge) but in BKK they use the Air France Le Salon (actually pretty miserable as well, but it's very quiet). Guess that will change now with Oneworld though.

The best part are the fares! Very cheap (few hundred dollars one way in biz).
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton
It wouldn't be a "new" route, it would simply be a reinstatement of a previously operated route http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_Sunrise
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
No. They are trying to work out of they fly there, and to ensure they cut the flight as soon as possible.

QF is about to become a domestic only carrier.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
QF is about to become a domestic only carrier.
A380s on transcon flights! Yippee

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.