Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Rules around F Lounge Complimentary Invitations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, AC*G

I was recently given a QF F Lounge invite by an FTer and have been closely reading the fine print on the back. It reads "You must present the invitation on arrival at the lounge and be travelling that day on a Qantas or Jetstar flight (with a QF or JQ flight number on your ticket).

I note that it doesn't say that the outbound international flight must meet that criteria, you must merely be flying on that day on a QF flight. On my reading, that means that a domestic QF flight to SYD would make me eligible so long as it was on the same day.

I suspect it would be a fight (despite the loose wording) but want to see what the FT community thinks (and no, I have no QF international flights planned for the rest of the year).
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Your post is unclear as to whether you're looking to use the FLounge whilst waiting for a non-QF international flight after a QF Dom flight - but you probably know that the F Lounge is only available airside in the International terminal.

As you already appear to recognize, the chances are you'll be denied access unless your "next onward flight" meets the criteria on the back of the invite. You *might* manage to stretch beyond QF/JQ into OW - given that is the criteria for OWEs ... but I'd be prepared to be disappointed if that is not what is stated on the invitation ... and I wouldn't even try if you are flying non-OW international.

If you're looking to use the F Lounge - why not simply switch one of your SYD/MEL legs to JQ international flight, flying a domestic leg (eg JQ30 or JQ38) ... though be aware that these flights only operate on limited days of the week.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BD1959
Your post is unclear as to whether you're looking to use the FLounge whilst waiting for a non-QF international flight after a QF Dom flight - but you probably know that the F Lounge is only available airside in the International terminal.

As you already appear to recognize, the chances are you'll be denied access unless your "next onward flight" meets the criteria on the back of the invite. You *might* manage to stretch beyond QF/JQ into OW - given that is the criteria for OWEs ... but I'd be prepared to be disappointed if that is not what is stated on the invitation ... and I wouldn't even try if you are flying non-OW international.

If you're looking to use the F Lounge - why not simply switch one of your SYD/MEL legs to JQ international flight, flying a domestic leg (eg JQ30 or JQ38) ... though be aware that these flights only operate on limited days of the week.

Regards,

BD
As you've guessed correctly, I'm waiting for a non-QF flight (TG in fact). My question is really around the wording because it doesn't say anything about next onward flight, merely that you are travelling QF that day (which I am CBR-SYD). I suppose I'm really wondering if the lounge dragons simply apply the rule they want to or read the actual conditions and apply them as written (even if not as intended).
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Apologies - I don't know where I got MEL-SYD from ... it's been a long, work-riddled, weekend!

Others may contradict, but I'd guess you're chances are zero flying TG.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BD1959
Apologies - I don't know where I got MEL-SYD from ... it's been a long, work-riddled, weekend!

Others may contradict, but I'd guess you're chances are zero flying TG.

Regards,

BD
That would be my guess as well. The OP is trying to use a technically of the wording to get around this which might be in FT spirit but I doubt it will work.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
That would be my guess as well. The OP is trying to use a technically of the wording to get around this which might be in FT spirit but I doubt it will work.
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll just have to chance my arm if that FT spirit. If it fails, there is always the Koru Lounge.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
I was recently given a QF F Lounge invite by an FTer and have been closely reading the fine print on the back. It reads "You must present the invitation on arrival at the lounge and be travelling that day on a Qantas or Jetstar flight (with a QF or JQ flight number on your ticket).

I note that it doesn't say that the outbound international flight must meet that criteria, you must merely be flying on that day on a QF flight. On my reading, that means that a domestic QF flight to SYD would make me eligible so long as it was on the same day.

I suspect it would be a fight (despite the loose wording) but want to see what the FT community thinks (and no, I have no QF international flights planned for the rest of the year).
although... 'be travelling' implies future tense. If your inbound flight was on QF then you will 'have travelled', past tense.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
although... 'be travelling' implies future tense. If your inbound flight was on QF then you will 'have travelled', past tense.
Fair call and the only way out I can see for QF.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Yessss but, the rule for WP access to the domestic lounges, for example, is similarly worded and definitely does allow arrival access:

"Must be travelling on any flight the same day that shows Qantas, Jetstar Airlines+ or a oneworld flight number on your ticket.
Two guests allowed and do not need to be travelling."

Whereas the rule for international lounges clearly stipulates an onward travel requirement:

"Next onward flight must be on a Qantas, Jetstar Airlines+ or oneworld flight number.#
One guest allowed and must be travelling with the member."

So, FWIW I'm with the OP on this.
Of course, whether the lounge dragon on the day sees it this way is quite another matter.
I'd suggest calling the lounge in advance to eliminate the doubt.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I have been given by a friend a Qantas First Complimentary Lounge Invitations.

The grey area starts that I am ticketed on BA7311 which is operated by QF1... called QF twice, one answer was that yes I can use it as the BP is printed QF Style with QF1 written on the flight number bit and the other answer is that no... despite it having QF1 printed on the boarding pass (and also travelling on QF1).

Has anyone had any success on getting to the F Lounge on code share flight operated by QF?

/AE
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
The lounge phone number is on the website - is that who you called to ask? If not, I'd ask them directly.

I reckon chances are that you would be ok.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by justin_krusty
The lounge phone number is on the website - is that who you called to ask? If not, I'd ask them directly.

I reckon chances are that you would be ok.
Just got off the phone from the lounge number on the website and they said it should be fine because I do have QF1 printer on my BP which is the information that makes me eligible!

3rd phone call lucky hehe

/AE
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Just got off the phone from the lounge number on the website and they said it should be fine ........
well done. Hope you enjoy the Flounge visit. Give yourself plenty of time to maximise the benefits. I doubt, however, whether they provide a stretcher service to get you from the lounge to the aircraft seat.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by og
well done. Hope you enjoy the Flounge visit. Give yourself plenty of time to maximise the benefits. I doubt, however, whether they provide a stretcher service to get you from the lounge to the aircraft seat.
Damn it no stretcher service!

I think I can only be there a maximum of 3 hours for check in because I am flying PE... wanted to go to there really early

/AE
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Out of interest, where are these 'Qantas First Complimentary Lounge Invitations' coming from?!?

I have been a WP for 7 odd years and have never seen or heard of them. (Comp. QP passes sure, but not Flounge passes).

Are they given to CLs, WP1s, compensation for those affected by the industrial strife/crisis, or what?

Just wondering (nosy ! )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.