Wiki Posts
Search

US CC to Qantas points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:32 am
Original Poster

US CC to Qantas points?

Hey guys,

I have moved to the US and have alot of QFF points i want to continue earning with a US credit cards...but it looks like no cards in the US support the QFF points...does any one know of any US CC that make QFF points directly...then only way i think i can do this is if i sign up to hilton honors and transfer them...which i loose a lot of value on.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT

You are better to use the QF points.
A hotel or rental car every 18 months will keep the QF points alive.
If you are living USA, AA is a better freg flyer program for most people
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:33 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Amex cards earn MR points -> BA avios

At first a cordially welcome to Flyertalk.

I don´t know a credit card based in US which directly earns QF points. But if you are interested in a oneworld frequent traveller programme my recommendation would be an American Express card with the MR programmes.

There you can convert the MR points to the BA programme. They also have an indeifinite usable span until you transfer them to the frequent flyer programme you want to use.

When I remember correctly BA Executive Club only requires ONE transaction every several years to keep the BA Avios working (I think it was one transaction per 36 months or so). As the transfer minimum thresholds are not too high you can use that conversion mathod. ^

So just check the earning/redemption rates for Amex and the transfer to BA, Amex to Cathay Pacific and Amex to AA.

Hope this helps & feedback of your solution appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
You could maintain an Amex in Australia (if you already have one that allows QF point transfers) and then get and Amex in the US. Amex allows once per year MR point transfers between foreign cards and they use the prevailing exchange rate of the day.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have moved to the US, I would suggest that a US credit card that enables credit to a US scheme would likely be of far better value

e.g. if still wanting to redeem on Qantas, I would suggest getting an American Express card that credits to Starwood Preferred Guest such as the SPG card ( http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...referred/25330 ) which gives 25k bonus points if you spend $5k in 6 months and 1 point per $ normally

SPG transfers to AA at 1:1 or at 1:1.25 if done in a 20K block. . Spend $15k on the card and you will have 40K SPG points which will give you 50K AA

As a comparison, 62.5k AA points is enough points for a o/w in business class US-Australia on Qantas and no fuel surcharges to pay compared with 96k-128k one way using Qantas points ( plus fuel surcharges to pay ).

Crediting to Qantas from USA is going to not give that good a return I would suggest

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.