Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Y+ on QF code share credited as discount economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, QF QP, UA, HH Gold

Newbie here. I was flying Y+ from MEL-LAX-ORD-SFO-LAX-MEL. The booking confirmation states (correctly) that "Your flight from Los Angeles to Chicago [etc.] will be in Economy", while the Fare Type is listed as "Premium Economy Sale". The fare description for this type states, "Classed as Premium Economy when Points or Status Credits are earned."

Qantas credited me discount economy SC on LAX-ORD-SFO-LAX. (Let me be clear, these were booked as QF flights, operated by AA.) Upon complaint they take the position that "these segments were booked in B inventory"--which, of course, was/is not visible to the customer booking on QF's website at the time of booking, all the while the fare description unambiguously calls for full Y treatment.

Am I wrong to be upset?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What was credited was correct and consistent with what others receive

You only get credit based on the cabin flown , so you received PE SCs and Miles for the PE legs and economy miles and SCs for the AA legs

Dave
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
But the OP did not receive economy credit but rather discount economy which seems like a legitimate complaint to me. On QF metal wiithout Y+ it would have credited as such, so why should codeshare be different? Another error by QF's crack IT systems, that are riddled with defects such as this.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by number_6
But the OP did not receive economy credit but rather discount economy which seems like a legitimate complaint to me. On QF metal wiithout Y+ it would have credited as such, so why should codeshare be different? Another error by QF's crack IT systems, that are riddled with defects such as this.
Surely on QF metal without Y+ it would only have credited as full economy rather than discount economy if the fare rules/construction ticketed those segments in Y. If the rules specify that economy segments book into B then there is no way that this would credit as full economy on an international segment.
I agree with the OP that it sucks that QF makes it difficult to view the fare codes when booking but that is a discussion for another thread
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What was credited was correct and consistent with what others receive

You only get credit based on the cabin flown , so you received PE SCs and Miles for the PE legs and economy miles and SCs for the AA legs

Dave
No, it is not. When I book W, connecting flights have always been credited as Full Y. This seems like a reasonable expectation, not discount economy.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
No, it is not. When I book W, connecting flights have always been credited as Full Y. This seems like a reasonable expectation, not discount economy.
Which would be correct

Within Australia, B class is classed as full economy for SC earning ( as is Y,H and K) ; For all other travel B class is discount economy

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Surely on QF metal without Y+ it would only have credited as full economy rather than discount economy if the fare rules/construction ticketed those segments in Y. If the rules specify that economy segments book into B then there is no way that this would credit as full economy on an international segment.
Indeed. If the US domestic legs had been in Y , the passenger would have earned full SCs, however discounted PE tickets do, ime, book into classes lower than Y

Originally Posted by number6
No it wouldn't. If it had been booked in B class on a Qantas flight operating on a route other than a domestic leg within Australia, then it would credit as discount economy

Dave
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As Dave stated - the segment booked into B class - which is discount economy as far as QFF is concerned for international flights.

The web site warns with a symbol: , which if you mouse-over shows a pop-up with something like:

"Your flight from Los Angeles to Chicago will be in Economy".

In future if the OP wants to check the booking class prior to committing, they should peruse and understand this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...l#post10514972

It's a bit late now for the LAX-ORD-SFO-LAX segments.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I think there are two separate issues - the posting of the points and SCs which are indeed correct according to the booking class on the ticket.

The second issue are the fare rules/summary. These state premium economy for points and SCs. A passenger unfamiliar with FF terms and conditions might rightly expect to have those points/SCs awarded. It would be very simple for QF to add one line to the fare summary to say something like 'points and status credits will be earned according to the class flown when passengers cannot be accommodated in premium economy'

I think it is not unreasonable for the OP to recreate the booking, take a screen snapshot, and send a formal request to QFFF to have extra points/SCs awarded if there was no disclaimer otherwise.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. Indeed my bones are with the fact that the fare rule summary quite unambiguously states that SC and points are earned in PE. I shouldn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to find out that exceptions apply.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think there are two separate issues - the posting of the points and SCs which are indeed correct according to the booking class on the ticket.

The second issue are the fare rules/summary. These state premium economy for points and SCs. A passenger unfamiliar with FF terms and conditions might rightly expect to have those points/SCs awarded. It would be very simple for QF to add one line to the fare summary to say something like 'points and status credits will be earned according to the class flown when passengers cannot be accommodated in premium economy'

I think it is not unreasonable for the OP to recreate the booking, take a screen snapshot, and send a formal request to QFFF to have extra points/SCs awarded if there was no disclaimer otherwise.
Well, I've done that and even with the screen shot information provided QF takes the position that the "!" warning (as serfty pointed out) together with the text "Your flight from Los Angeles to Chicago will be in Economy" was enough information for the passenger to know that credit will be earned in <b>Discount Economy</b>. Especially since Economy is capitalized (I am not kidding!)

Eh well, a great way to treat a (former) PE customer. I'll transfer the flight to AA and will maintain status there.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by swissinoz
Thanks everyone for the replies. Indeed my bones are with the fact that the fare rule summary quite unambiguously states that SC and points are earned in PE. I shouldn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to find out that exceptions apply.

Well, I've done that and even with the screen shot information provided QF takes the position that the "!" warning (as serfty pointed out) together with the text "Your flight from Los Angeles to Chicago will be in Economy" was enough information for the passenger to know that credit will be earned in <b>Discount Economy</b>. Especially since Economy is capitalized (I am not kidding!)

Eh well, a great way to treat a (former) PE customer. I'll transfer the flight to AA and will maintain status there.
well it was worth a try. Of course QF was going to say that to you. Next time, take the PE fare as far as LAX and then get a YUP to your final destination and earn points at F level. (or better still, if you are willing to break your journey in NAN for three hours or so each way you can get Air Pacific business class for less than the price of PE and get full J class status credits and points. Service is not the same, but nice big comfy old first class style recliner).
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by swissinoz
Given that you have only Silver status, look at crediting to AA. Crediting to AA will earn 1.5 qpoints per mile flown and get you 30k points. 25k gets AA Gold ( c.f. QF Silver ) and 50k gets AA Platinum ( c.f. QF Gold )

B class counts as Full Fare Economy earning to AA.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well it was worth a try. Of course QF was going to say that to you. Next time, take the PE fare as far as LAX and then get a YUP to your final destination and earn points at F level. (or better still, if you are willing to break your journey in NAN for three hours or so each way you can get Air Pacific business class for less than the price of PE and get full J class status credits and points. Service is not the same, but nice big comfy old first class style recliner).
Now that's a thought! Thanks for the hint.

Given that you have only Silver status, look at crediting to AA. Crediting to AA will earn 1.5 qpoints per mile flown and get you 30k points. 25k gets AA Gold ( c.f. QF Silver ) and 50k gets AA Platinum ( c.f. QF Gold )

Exactly. Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:17 pm

To clarify one point here, would it work to book these tickets on qantas.com and credit to AAdvantage? You cannot create on aa.com an itinerary that allows for PE and Y to be mixed.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by eamus
To clarify one point here, would it work to book these tickets on qantas.com and credit to AAdvantage? You cannot create on aa.com an itinerary that allows for PE and Y to be mixed.
What matters is the booking class , not where the ticket is booked, so booking on qantas.com and crediting to AA is fine
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:52 pm

What matters is the booking class , not where the ticket is booked, so booking on qantas.com and crediting to AA is fine
Thanks Dave. I have subsequently found the thread over on the AA forum too, that has useful info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.