FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Changes to Qantas Lounges in Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1349014-changes-qantas-lounges-singapore.html)

Red Roo May 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Changes to Qantas Lounges in Singapore

We are excited to let you know that we are building a new First Lounge in Singapore, due to open at the end of the year. The new First Lounge will offer greater space and additional seating for our guests when it opens; in the meantime we are making a change to our Singapore lounges to enhance the current lounge experience.

What’s changing?
The locations of the existing First Lounge and Business Lounge have been temporarily switched and the access policy amended as follows:
Temporary First Lounge (previously the Business Lounge):
• customers travelling in First on Qantas, British Airways or a oneworld carrier;
• customers travelling in Business or Club World on Qantas, British Airways or a oneworld carrier;
• Qantas Platinum Frequent Flyers;
• British Airways Gold Executive member; and
• oneworld Emerald members.
Temporary Business Lounge (previously the First Lounge):
• Qantas Gold Frequent Flyers;
• Qantas Club members;
• British Airways Silver Executive Club members;
• oneworld Sapphire members;
• Jetstar Business Max fare customers.

Getting to your lounge
The Qantas and British Airways Lounges are located in Terminal 1. Turn left after Immigration and follow the airport signage ‘Lounges’ to the escalator. If transiting, proceed towards Concourse D and take the escalator adjacent to the Madame Butterfly retail store.
At the top of the escalator follow the signage ‘Qantas/British Airways Lounge’.
First Lounge guests – continue straight ahead
Business Lounge guests – turn right

As always, our ground team is happy to help if you need further assistance.
Enjoy your journey.

For more information see qantas.com

QF WP May 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks Red Roo, very interesting change.

It's been a while since the P1 Do ;)

FlyerTalker688786 May 23, 2012 2:01 am

Do this mean that service level is likely to be lower due to the renovation in progress?

moa999 May 23, 2012 2:30 am

Service in SIN was never exactly high.

AS posted on the other board,
First and Business QF and BA passengers will get temporary access to the Temporary First Lounge, in order to balance the numbers between the new lounges (particularly the smaller Temporary First Lounge)

Things will revert to normal when the new First Lounge opens.

Awesom Andy May 23, 2012 5:14 am

When do the changes apply? I suppose I'll find myself in the ex-first lounge in about 5 days time.

serfty May 23, 2012 6:22 am

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 18626555)
Service in SIN was never exactly high.

AS posted on the other board,
First and Business QF and BA passengers will get temporary access to the Temporary First Lounge, in order to balance the numbers between the new lounges (particularly the smaller Temporary First Lounge)....

mmmmm ... I believe the bigger lounge area is the old Business (now temporarily First) lounge.

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 18626888)
When do the changes apply? I suppose I'll find myself in the ex-first lounge in about 5 days time.

RR used the phrase "... have been temporarily switched ...". So I reckon it has already happened.

sxc May 23, 2012 10:01 pm

So is the old First lounge, now the Business lounge also smaller since they need to close some of it off for renovation?

serfty May 23, 2012 10:59 pm

In reality there is now a temporary "Emerald, First and Business" lounge (in the old Business lounge) and a temporary "Sapphire, Qantas Club, JQi (Max)" lounge in the old First Lounge.

I would wonder if they are actually going to renovate rather than enlarge. Personally I cannot envisage the former as there's rarely enough space at peak times anyway.

I am thinking that perhaps the Newsonised lounge will be constructed anew, maybe in the largish underutilised area immediately in front of and to the right of the top of the escalator as you come up from the concourse to the current lounges.

If that's the case then once "the new First lounge" opens, the old First Lounge area would be absorbed to create an expanded Business lounge.

og May 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Anything can be better than the current pathetic offerings. Just visit the SQ Business Class lounge (not their lower standard *A lounge) and see what QF has to do to stay competitive.

Himeno May 24, 2012 1:13 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 18632599)
I am thinking that perhaps the Newsonised lounge will be constructed anew, maybe in the largish underutilised area immediately in front of and to the right of the top of the escalator as you come up from the concourse to the current lounges.

Do you mean the area across from the SATS premier lounge?

If that's the case then once "the new First lounge" opens, the old First Lounge area would be absorbed to create an expanded Business lounge.
They can't do that. The two existing lounges are not next to each other. There is another lounge between them.

Oneworldplus2 May 24, 2012 2:55 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 18632634)
Anything can be better than the current pathetic offerings. Just visit the SQ Business Class lounge (not their lower standard *A lounge) and see what QF has to do to stay competitive.

I can't comment on the SQ J Lounge, but, I did find the QF SIN F Lounge, well, pretty basic and the QF J Lounge pretty good, and by my opinion, better than the F Lounge. The bathrooms/showers in the J Lounge were fantastic.

Tyrolean May 24, 2012 4:25 am

Originally Posted by og (Post 18632634)

I rate the (existing) QF-F Lounge as a bad lounge compared to QF and BA Standards, but if you compare it with the SQ offering it is not that bad.

I only can comment on the SQ Silverkris Business Lounges in T2 and T3. I prefer the QF Lounge over that. T2 is old and awful, T3 is quite OK.

On the other hand there is the swimming pool - better than any lounge.

My next planned trip to SIN is in October. Hopefully there will be an improvement then!

serfty May 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 18632986)
Do you mean the area across from the SATS premier lounge?
They can't do that. The two existing lounges are not next to each other. There is another lounge between them.

Yes, I did forget about that.

Maybe there's a planned major restructure of all the lounges in that area.

I seriously cannot see this be undertaken without actually increasing the total First/Business lounge area.

Cedar Jet May 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Slightly OT but does this further consolidate that SIN may well be QF's new Asian hub?

Himeno May 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet (Post 18637981)
Slightly OT but does this further consolidate that SIN may well be QF's new Asian hub?

Isn't SIN already considered to be a QF hub? QF mainline has more international destinations out of SIN then out of MEL (7 vs 6).