Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Changes to Qantas Lounges in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Qantas Lounges in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Had visited Qantas lounge 2 weeks back, imo the best business lounge in Changi. The environment is green eco-style which resembles SAS lounge at CPH. The food selection is extensive and they even have a 2 seasonal main course for order. Customize to vegetarian version is possible. Beer, wine and cocktails are available for order at the bar counter.

I even think SQ private room is no match to QF. Will upload some pictures soon.
um... Are we talking about the same two lounges? If so, we're going to have to agree to disagree here...

SQ TPR is far superior to this lounge IMHO. And you would expect that to be the case given TPR is an F lounge in the airline's home port, and this is a QP/J/everything lounge in a foreign port.

This lounge is clearly an improvement on its predecessor, but a few bugbears from me:
  • When crowded the acoustics are bad (the restaurant can sound like a food court).
  • The drinks selection is average (no Champagne for example). The EK lounge is better for this.
  • BYOD is clearly the way of the future, but the lack of lounge PCs is an issue for some.

Having said that, I do enjoy the "made to order" meals. Depending what is on offer you can usually ask them to tweak the dish to your taste (e.g. extra spice, etc).
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by penegal
um... Are we talking about the same two lounges? If so, we're going to have to agree to disagree here...

SQ TPR is far superior to this lounge IMHO. And you would expect that to be the case given TPR is an F lounge in the airline's home port, and this is a QP/J/everything lounge in a foreign port.
That's akin to someone saying SQ's Lounge in Sydney is better than the QF F Lounge.

Digressions aside, I'll have to agree with penegal on this one, because I am of the opinion the SIN QF Lounge (food aside) is a slightly pimped up version of its lounges in Canberra.

This lounge is clearly an improvement on its predecessor, but a few bugbears from me:
  • When crowded the acoustics are bad (the restaurant can sound like a food court).
  • The drinks selection is average (no Champagne for example). The EK lounge is better for this.
  • BYOD is clearly the way of the future, but the lack of lounge PCs is an issue for some.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:45 am

SQ TPR is far superior to this lounge IMHO.
I know it is difficult to accept why would a foreign based airlines lounge is superior than a home based airline. But I really had a wonderful experience with QF lounge not just solely from a hard product point of view.

Firstly, I was on MH business class, the lounge receptionist actually advised me that they would not announce boarding call for MH passenger and even told me that my boarding gate is at the tail end of the other terminal and she advised me to leave 40 minutes before departure (in fact she gave me the exact time to leave) to prevent missing the flight. I never get this kind of advice from SQ even my flight was located at the tail end of the terminal.

The bartender was able to make cocktails accordingly to my liking, I thought he exhibited good skills in the mixing and the image he carried himself was professional, he even wished me a very prosperous New Year after serving me the drink.

The waiter and waitress at the food counter served me in a professional and friendly manner just like those from a good restaurant in Singapore.

In addition, the lounge atmosphere was pleasing to the eyes with green plants and mandarin oranges placed at different areas, it was not overly quiet like a ghost town nor it was overly noisy like those from a marketplace. The food quality was good as well.

I thought overall this lounge was excellent. And I did not get this from SQ private room except eye radars constantly hunting my exact whereabouts.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Had visited Qantas lounge 2 weeks back, imo the best business lounge in Changi. The environment is green eco-style which resembles SAS lounge at CPH. The food selection is extensive and they even have a 2 seasonal main course for order. Customize to vegetarian version is possible. Beer, wine and cocktails are available for order at the bar counter.

I even think SQ private room is no match to QF. Will upload some pictures soon.
The QF lounge at Singapore is not the best lounge in Changi

The Business, First and then TPR SQ lounges are far far better. Also they are getting refurbished in the next 12 months as well with the new design and will take them further in-front of the QF SIN lounge.

That being said the QF SIN lounge is still pretty good
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Hardly in the SQ The Rooms category. First visit last night and was not overly impressed. Pretty standard new style airline lounge.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Hardly in the SQ The Rooms category. First visit last night and was not overly impressed. Pretty standard new style airline lounge.
You mean SQ's The Private Room?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
It may not be the TPR but for an outport lounge in a city where they have no F traffic any more, QF's lounge is solid and I would say IMHO that it is the best non-sq lounge in SIN. In fact I much prefer to the SKL F T2 and would say its on part if not a bit better than the SKL F T3: Reasons

1) Semi a-la carte dining (limited options but plenty for a business traveller),
2) Bar tender mixing cocktails
3) Excellent service from staff and welcoming attitude - when I show up there with a CX boarding pass, I never get the usual, you know the CX lounge is the other way. In fact I find the staff welcoming, warning me about boarding announcements and proud of their product and happy that I chose to use their lounge as OW ffp over any other OW lounge in SIN.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I agree with penegals's points above with the addition that it's very large (FWIW, I tend to head down to the far end near the showers - I don;t mind the area down there as it tends to be quieter, the rest is a little more QP'sh)

The SIN QF lounge is actually a good lounge, as lounges generally go, but my preferred lounge as a QF WP at SIN is the EK lounge.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
as a CX diamond, I love the chance to be in the QF lounge when I have a BA flight to Europe. If only I could use it during the morning when I normally fly CX!
It may not be the Private Room but it sure is heaps better than the CX shared lounge that we normally have to endure.
Friendly service and nice food! I'm not complaining for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.