Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Airways splits in two

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No VA was done to get around air service agreements which state the ownership requirements for airlines to access international air traffic rights, and to allow the domestic operation to increase it access to foreign investment.
The Qantas Sale Act prohibits QF from doing this and they have wanted ammend the Act to allow this to occur, and other restrictions only applied to them, so that the playing field could be more level.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
The Qantas Sale Act prohibits QF from doing this and they have wanted ammend the Act to allow this to occur, and other restrictions only applied to them, so that the playing field could be more level.
Qantas Sale Amendment (Still Call Australia Home) Bill 2011 Second Reading debate speeches:
Xenophon, Sen Nick: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...b623%2F0000%22
Sterle, Sen Glenn: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...b623%2F0000%22
Joyce, Sen Barnaby: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...b623%2F0000%22
Ludlam, Sen Scott: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...b623%2F0000%22
Edwards, Sen Sean: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/...b623%2F0000%22
Old May 22, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: QFF WP (LTG), VA SG
Here's an interesting article on this change from the former chief economist at Qantas:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/hi...522-1z2jr.html
Old May 22, 2012, 2:07 am

Tony Webber is a rent-a-quote these days - he has as much creditibility as anyone who has ever worked for the airline in thier life.

Trust Xenophon to have a whinge.........
Old May 22, 2012, 5:30 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are we allowed to say this on FT?
Can't speculate because that is against the rules. Suffice it to say that I didn't actually say the word.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Have they formed a holding company that stradles the two? Qantas Airline Group perhaps? Another opportunity for execs to earn nice bundle perhaps...
Old May 22, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Interesting suggestion from one of the readers of the article for QF to abandon the BA joint arrangement in favour of an arrangement with a Middle Eastern carrier, to enable better access to cities in Europe.

Up until relatively recently QF had a codeshare with Etihad, but I believe it was mainly for passengers heading to the Middle East. It was a lost opportunity for QF not to have expanded the Etihad arrangement further to allow one-stop hopping into Europe via Abu Dhabi instead of SIN/BKK/HKG (or now just SIN). Until something along these lines eventuates I guess we will be heading for our European destinations via LHR when travelling to Europe on QF.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Have they formed a holding company that stradles the two? Qantas Airline Group perhaps?
The announcement was that they would separate Domestic and International into separate businesses, not separate companies. There is no reason that cannot be done under a single corporate umbrella. Having them report their results separately is commonly done as segment reporting. The consolidated results still roll up, but it gives investors clarity into how the [supposedly different] segments are performing on a standalone basis. Maybe they will separate them into different companies, but I don't think they need to right now.

Personally I think the aim is to show how International loses money as a way of laying the groundwork for some initiative(s) to build standalone profitability in International operations, rather than having Domestic support International and mask its problems. Whether that is fare hikes, partnerships, spin-off and investment, who knows. You can imagine, though, that they can better go cap-in-hand to the government looking for more flexibility if they can show that International loses money. Risk of losing an Australian icon. Public service. Competition. Blah, blah, blah.

I agree with Og, this is all deja vu for those of us old enough to remember TAA.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by QF Lad
Interesting suggestion from one of the readers of the article for QF to abandon the BA joint arrangement in favour of an arrangement with a Middle Eastern carrier, to enable better access to cities in Europe.

Up until relatively recently QF had a codeshare with Etihad, but I believe it was mainly for passengers heading to the Middle East. It was a lost opportunity for QF not to have expanded the Etihad arrangement further to allow one-stop hopping into Europe via Abu Dhabi instead of SIN/BKK/HKG (or now just SIN). Until something along these lines eventuates I guess we will be heading for our European destinations via LHR when travelling to Europe on QF.
I agree totally. I used this EY codeshare to BEY, BAH, RUH, DXB, AUH and DOH a few times and it was excellent. Left me high and dry with only QF/RJ to the region which is fiddly and RJ, while good, not up to EY standards at all. Only plus with RJ is a potential stop-over in HKG and/or BKK if you have the time.

I heard Emirates mentioned today as a potential partner.....the most overrated carrier Ive ever come accross. It would certainly knock EY/VA partnership(& Mr Borghetti) out of the water. That said, there are rumours EY and EK will eventually merge as AUH keps bailing out DXB.....who knows....interesting times.

CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; May 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm
Old May 22, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by eamus
Personally I think the aim is to show how International loses money as a way of laying the groundwork for some initiative(s) to build standalone profitability in International operations, rather than having Domestic support International and mask its problems. Whether that is fare hikes, partnerships, spin-off and investment, who knows. You can imagine, though, that they can better go cap-in-hand to the government looking for more flexibility if they can show that International loses money. Risk of losing an Australian icon. Public service. Competition. Blah, blah, blah.
This is exactly what I thought. There's no other reason for needing to do it.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If they are looking to brand them differently, I'd suggest the following :

"Qantas" for the International brand
"Ansett" for the Domestic brand

I'm getting the strangest form of Deja Vu right now for some reason...
Old May 23, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I'm sure Virgin Australia considered rebranding as "Ansett" on quite a serious level....

Qantas will never rebrand, even if the ownership of Qantas domestic & int'l splinters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.