Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

different surcharges/taxes on award flights between NRT and WLG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:20 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering if anyone knows a potential way around this.

I have enough Qantas Frequent Flyer miles to fly free one way from Narita to Wellington, NZ this December, or vice-versa. If you book the flight from Wellington to Narita, you get a taxes/surcharge of about NZ$120.00. If you book it Narita to Wellington, you get taxes/surcharges of JPY28,000. That is a considerably larger amount.

Due to award flight availability, I may not be able to return to Tokyo using the award ticket. Instead, I'd have to use the award flying to NZ. The discrepancy in the taxes is very annoying to say the least. Does anyone know if it's possible to book the ticket from outside Qantas Japan's site at all?

Cheers!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs up

The taxes probably have little to do with where you book the ticket, but instead to do with the fact many of the taxes only apply in one direction.

eg, one an award booking I have from the US to Australia, the taxes/fees are :

Australia Passenger Service Charge $26.90
September 11th Security Fee $2.50

On the return trip, the taxes/fees are almost 4 times as much :

U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00
Australia Passenger Service Charge $27.10
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
Australia Passenger Movement Charge $49.80
September 11th Security Fee $2.50

(This is on United, but the concept is the same regardless)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.