Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Arrivals tax in Santiago and Lounges at SCL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrivals tax in Santiago and Lounges at SCL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Government bureaucrats will charge you whatever they can get away with - the Orwellian tour de force is the US which now charges Visa Waiver country citizens $20 every two years just to waive your Visa requirement.
The counter to this is that Australia charges you nothing, depending on how it is processed.

If you choose to use the AU govt website, you are charged, and this is to maintain the website.

Airlines, travel agents, etc., can obtain the ETA for FREE, some do it for their elites (in the case of airlines), some do it for premium passengers (airlines or travel agents), some do it for corporate passengers (travel agents and airlines).

But at least the Australian version is free, you just pay a processing fee to whoever gets it for you (which is waived if you matter to whoever is getting it for you), no way to avoid this in the US with an ESTA.

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by Gary
Reciprocity tax is now US$95 for Aussies, US$140 for Yanks!

http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/eng...view&Itemid=51
Just a reminder to those (lucky) holders of an APEC Business Travel Card, the Chilean reciprocity fee does not apply to you.

tb
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Government bureaucrats will charge you whatever they can get away with - the Orwellian tour de force is the US which now charges Visa Waiver country citizens $20 every two years just to waive your Visa requirement.
Close. Its actually USD 14.00 And it is stated that all but $4 of this is refunded if your application is rejected. At $20, did you pay a scammer for your ESTA?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by og
Close. Its actually USD 14.00 And it is stated that all but $4 of this is refunded if your application is rejected. At $20, did you pay a scammer for your ESTA?
Ha no, I got mine back in September 2010 at no charge in the grace period before it became payable. Good to know that later in the year when I need to get a new one, my contribution to reducing the US government budget deficit will be $14 not $20.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: QFF
Ha no, I got mine back in September 2010 at no charge in the grace period before it became payable. Good to know that later in the year when I need to get a new one, my contribution to reducing the US government budget deficit will be $14 not $20.
I got my 2nd ESTA just before they started charging for them, even though my first one still had 6 months on it.

hmm.. just checked when my current ESTA expires... Do they need to be valid for the entire period of a visit to the US, or just when entering?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The ESTA just has to be valid when entering the country ...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...92eVhUaw%3D%3D

How long is my ESTA approval good for?

Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period. You may update your travel information; however this information is optional and is not required.

If your ESTA expires while in the US it will not affect your departure.

Note: Is it important to PRINT a copy of the document for your records. The printout is not required upon arrival into the United States, as the officers have the information electronically. Some airlines require the printout upon check-in, please check with your respective airline.
Receiving ESTA authorization does not mean you may stay in the U.S. for two years. It only allows you to travel to the U.S. under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which only allows you to stay in the U.S. for 90 days or less. If you plan to stay for longer than 90 days, you must obtain a visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
*If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes. The associated fee of $14 will be charged for each new application submitted.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Fees around Sth America

I have both nZ and Aus passports, it saved me:

NZ = no visa req for Brasil - US$70 saving;
NZ= no fee for Argentina US$100
NZ= no fee for peru US$60NZ; and
NZ= Mp Fee for Chila *then US$60 now US$100)
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:49 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guybaxy
I have both nZ and Aus passports, it saved me:

NZ = no visa req for Brasil - US$70 saving;
NZ= no fee for Argentina US$100
NZ= no fee for peru US$60NZ; and
NZ= Mp Fee for Chila *then US$60 now US$100)
So are you suggesting that NZ doesn't pay a fee for a Peru visa whereas Aust Passports incur a fee of $60? If so, then this is a new fee - introduced since Dec 2011 and there is no mention of it on the Peru Embassy web site (unless I missed something): http://www.embaperu.org.au/embassy/visas.html

IME the Peruvian immigration process is quick and easy. Its just the taxis that cause angst (my rule now is the more expensive the taxi ride, the greater the chance of near death experiences).
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:50 am

I always thought that reciprocity fees by a country A are meant to be a tool to put pressure on foreign governments through their travellers to reduce/remove unjustified visa fees imposed by these countries on citizens from the country A.

For this to work travellers need to write/speak to their MPs/senators/ministers and get things moving.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:29 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
These types of fees are a bit of a grab anyway. Or the result of poor diplomatic relations.

The United Arab Emirates visa fee for Canadians is $250 USD single entry, or $500 for a multiple entry. Supposedly for denying Emirates landing rights for many Canadian cities other than Toronto.

A competitive Disadvantage
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
These types of fees are a bit of a grab anyway. Or the result of poor diplomatic relations.

The United Arab Emirates visa fee for Canadians is $250 USD single entry, or $500 for a multiple entry. Supposedly for denying Emirates landing rights for many Canadian cities other than Toronto.

A competitive Disadvantage
Last year, Timatic said that visiting UAE required getting a paid visa on arrival (AU passport). The airline said the same thing when I checked in.
Get to immigration at DXB and I get waved through after one question "Sightseeing?" "Yes" *stamp passport*
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by og
So are you suggesting that NZ doesn't pay a fee for a Peru visa whereas Aust Passports incur a fee of $60? If so, then this is a new fee - introduced since Dec 2011 and there is no mention of it on the Peru Embassy web site (unless I missed something): http://www.embaperu.org.au/embassy/visas.html
I can confirm that there is still no fee when entering Peru on an Australian passport - Mrs pandaperth and I entered at LIM on 19 Mar
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Given that there is more incentive for South American nationals to remain and work unlawfully in Australia than there is in the other direction, the fact that we charge more makes sense.
That's an appallingly jingoistic view. Why would anyone from Chile wish to unlawfully remain in Australia when their economy is growing at a much faster rate than Australia's?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
That's an appallingly jingoistic view. Why would anyone from Chile wish to unlawfully remain in Australia when their economy is growing at a much faster rate than Australia's?
Jingoistic - perhaps, but the comparison between economic growth and desire to remain in a foreign country makes no sense.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
But the comparison between economic growth and desire to remain in a foreign country makes no sense.
So I guess all the people who were so keen to re-settle in th USA just went for the landscape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.