Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF cutting AKL - LAX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by saabflyer
By the way does anyone know if I'm going AKL-SYD-LAX if I have to clear customs at SYD and re-check bags? I have a 2 hour transfer there and again at BNE on the way back.
Your bag should be tagged all the way to DSM if the domestic legs are all on AA. You only need to pick them up at LAX to go through Customs and drop them off again just before you officially get to landside.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: QF FF, Velocity, NZ FF
Originally Posted by Leumas
Your bag should be tagged all the way to DSM if the domestic legs are all on AA. You only need to pick them up at LAX to go through Customs and drop them off again just before you officially get to landside.
Fantastic...I thought so. Despite being a frequent flyer I've never had to connect long-haul before oddly enough...always just gone AKL-LAX-AKL or BNE-HKG-BNE etc...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF (WP), NZ (KC), IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by saabflyer
By the way does anyone know if I'm going AKL-SYD-LAX if I have to clear customs at SYD and re-check bags? I have a 2 hour transfer there and again at BNE on the way back.
As advised by another poster your luggage will checked through, so at SYD go through the International Connections security check. DO NOT take the escalator up, but look for the lift, which is over to the right. This will take you up 2 floors to where the QF lounges are. As you are on the 747, then this means you will have about an hour to have breakfast and get refreshed for the leg to LAX.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
Does anyone know what the level of options for rerouting is? We are on a AS J award to AKL in October. The automatic reroute put us on QF108 with a 45 min connection to QF55 which seems like too tight of a connection for comfort.
Ideally I'd like to commence travel a day earlier as we a now losing the better part of a day connecting through Oz. QF12 or routing through BNE or MEL might work also.
I've been pressed for time since this discovery and have only managed one call to AS. I had to accidentally disconnect as the agent insisted that she had to find U availability and didn't grasp that all U was long gone on 20 Feb when the reaccomodation occurred.
Any help appreciated as I'd like to have a solution in hand before calling back as the Gold desk isn't what it used to be.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abner o'mal
Does anyone know what the level of options for rerouting is? We are on a AS J award to AKL in October. The automatic reroute put us on QF108 with a 45 min connection to QF55 which seems like too tight of a connection for comfort.
If it is a legal connection I wouldn't worry; international-international connection at Sydney is pretty quick and painless; just follow sign for transfers, go through security checkpoint, up escalator and can head to the gate

If you misconnect, then QF will rebook you onto another service to AKL.

As far as whether they will rebook a day earlier, I wouldn't know but I wouldn't hold my breath but only way to know is to phone and ask.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
They should rebook you a day earlier. You just need to explain that you need to be in AKL by a specific time, hence your original booking. However, as you need U availability this would be problematic and you will need to get an AS agent who is willing and able to send a message to QF asking them to fix the booking.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... The automatic reroute put us on QF108 with a 45 min connection to QF55 which seems like too tight of a connection for comfort. ...
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is a legal connection I wouldn't worry; international-international connection at Sydney is pretty quick and painless; just follow sign for transfers, go through security checkpoint, up escalator and can head to the gate. ...
Certainly such connection is relatively painless, but according to E/F, it does not meet MCT which is 1 hour:
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Connecting Cities:
Connecting at SYD
Incoming airline QF
Outgoing airline QF
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .30  1.00  1.15  1.00
OFFLINE   .30  1.00  1.15  1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
QF-QF II  1.30 FLT    1 -  199 - FLT  321 TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  1.30 FLT  300 -  399 - FLT  321 TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  1.40 FLT  368 - ALL  TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  2.00 FLT  376 - ALL  TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  1.15 ALL  - FLT  301 
QF-QF II  1.15 ALL  - FLT  319 
QF-QF II  2.00 FLT  200 -  299 - FLT  300 -  399 TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  2.00 FLT  300 -  399 - FLT  200 -  299 TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  1.00 ALL  - FLT  200 -  299 TRM 1  - 1  
QF-QF II  1.00 TRM 1  - 1  
**-QF II  1.30 ALL  - FLT  301 
**-QF II  1.30 ALL  - FLT  319 
**-QF II  2.00 ALL  - FLT  200 -  299 TRM 1  - 1  
**-QF II  1.00 TRM 1  - 1  
QF-** II  2.00 FLT  200 -  299 - ALL  TRM 1  - 1
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Is there a need for commercial links to be included in quotes... KVS quotes are admittedly worse and more prolific

As far as the MCT goes, if it isn't a valid connection, then QF will move to generate a valid connection
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by nonce
They should rebook you a day earlier. You just need to explain that you need to be in AKL by a specific time, hence your original booking. However, as you need U availability this would be problematic and you will need to get an AS agent who is willing and able to send a message to QF asking them to fix the booking.
Your situation is a bit different than ours but the message by AS to QF could work.

We were originally booked using AA awards LAX-AKL-BNE-CNS in J. After LAX-AKL was cancelled, QF somewhat blindly replaced that segment with two (via SYD), resulting in LAX-SYD-AKL-BNE-CNS!

AA was able to remove the side trip to AKL, but of course could not get us on LAX-BNE due to a lack of U availability.

I contacted QF to ask for advice and they said they were protecting people "on the most direct route" but AA had to be the ones to ask. I explained this to an AA CSR, who typed in a long note and sent it to AA's partner desk that deals with QF.

Two days later (yesterday) it was a done deal, including reissued tickets and seats in the upper cabin assigned.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:56 pm

Thanks for your responses. This has helped frame my request to AS, now I just need to find a CSR willing to slow down enough to listen!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:09 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Is there a need for commercial links to be included in quotes... KVS quotes are admittedly worse and more prolific
About as necessary as putting a question mark after a question , sources should always be quoted if the information is to be authoritative IMHO.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by markis10
About as necessary as putting a question mark after a question , sources should always be quoted if the information is to be authoritative IMHO.
I disagree; citing a source is one thing and providing a link to the source is a good thing, but this was not a link to a source but simply a link to a commercial site ( just like the annoying links put in by ppl for KVS ) . If the link ( as per EF above ) could be used to prove the information I would have a different view
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by workingman
As advised by another poster your luggage will checked through, so at SYD go through the International Connections security check. DO NOT take the escalator up, but look for the lift, which is over to the right. This will take you up 2 floors to where the QF lounges are. As you are on the 747, then this means you will have about an hour to have breakfast and get refreshed for the leg to LAX.
Much obliged sir!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:40 pm

Actually *if* I had known I was going to be re-routed I would have booked J quite frankly or PE for the AKL-SYD-LAX portion. Mind you as PE wasn't available on AKL-LAX (A332) there wasn't much chance of me doing that in the first place...and I don't mind Y on the A332 but now with the AKL-SYD and SYD-LAX legs being 738 and 744 I would have booked much higher. Oh well...pity I don't have a crystal ball
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:05 pm

Thanks for your responses. This has helped frame my request to AS, now I just need to find a CSR willing to slow down enough to listen!
Mixed results. Qantas were unwilling to allow us to travel a day earlier (dep LAX on Sat 10/20). They did move us from QF108 to QF12 so at least we'll have chance to stop into the lounge in SYD for few minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.