Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF cutting AKL - LAX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by robertocusato
They are not shrinking - in fact, AA plan calls for international expansion.
The latter I can buy, the former I don't quite see at the moment. I see more route cancellations and suspensions than new route introductions at the moment (but I don't pay particularly close attention to AA, more what I see on airlineroute).
Originally Posted by thadocta
It's NOT going to happen in the South Pacific, so stop dreaming.
+1. Long sectors, high fuel/labor costs, opportunity cost of using their 77W frames, competition with their close partner QF, heavy competition elsewhere, and relatively inexpensive fares leave it not making sense for AA to enter, as much as it would be nice to have a OW NZ-US option.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA have already been to Australia, and then withdrew. Why would they choose to do so now?

Given that there are five carriers already on AU-US direct flights (QF, VA, DL, UA, HA, JQ) why would AA choose to become carrier number six?

Dave
Dave, I agree, except to say that you listed six existing carriers
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Fine, it won't happen. So much hate in this forum! buaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I meant is, there is an opening for AA to go Asia-Pacific now. To me, it's mind-blowing that the carrier has no direct connection to Australia (only codeshare). NZ would be interesting, but dunno whether it has the chance to support traffic per se.

AA have already been to Australia, and then withdrew. Why would they choose to do so now?

Given that there are five carriers already on AU-US direct flights (QF, VA, DL, UA, HA, JQ) why would AA choose to become carrier number six?

Dave
From Air NZ forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...l-lax-may.html
Originally Posted by KiwiSurfer
I was researching the route maps attached to some of BA's AKL-LON fares and I noted it allows routing between AKL and LAX on JQ (as well BA, QF, etc)! Seems like plans is already under-way for JQ to take over this route and that at least one airline has already started preparing for this possibility.

To me it looks like QF has decided not to wait until JQ has their 787 before swapping the route over to them (like the overnight switch they did with Jetconnect -> Jetstar on NZ domestic services) and instead just cutting it now to stop the losses they are making.

- James
No idea if KiwiSurfer's AKL-LAX on JQ was a code share or flight on some date in the future
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dave
I agree that it's very unlikely that AA will begin flying to Australia (or NZ) but does the approval of the AA-QF joint business agreement late last year permit AA and QF to act as one if AA were to fly to AKL or SYD?

http://www.ausbt.com.au/us-govt-gree...-joint-venture

https://www.aa.com/i18n/pressRelease...p?locale=en_GB

If AA and QF have a green light to violate the antitrust laws (agree on schedules, prices and share profits ala the AA-BA-IB antitrust immunity across the Atlantic), then AA wouldn't really be another competitor. IIRC, DL and VA have similar approval - and if so, are in effect just one competitor.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:14 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by rockferd
THey are cutting routes and they are pushing back or maybe canceling the B787 as well!!

(quotes removed link)
I honestly do not think they would be stupid enough to repeat the B777 mistake[*], wouldn't they?

[*] when they decided not to order B777s - many of their current problems are because they do not have right aircraft to serve many routes...

Last edited by willyroo; Feb 19, 2012 at 1:59 am
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
I honestly do not think they would be stupid enough to repeat the B777 mistake[*], wouldn't they?

[*] when they decided not to order B777s - many of their current problems are because they do not have right aircraft to serve many routes...
LEt's see what happens with the rescheduling... starting tomorrow!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: VA Platinum (BIS); VS Red; EK Blue; QF Gold; AA; Golden Circle executive; A Club Silver; SPG PG
The timetable still shows A332 4x week SYD/AKL so it would seem there is still limited skybeds available on the route. I have been re-routed on one of them!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A positive datapoint on rebooking...

Originally I was on QF 25 MEL-AKL-LAX booked in business by using miles from my Alaska Airlines account. When I had called Qantas last week they said that as my ticket was booked via Alaska Airlines I would have to work with them on rebooking. Much to my surprise I just found out that I'm now rebooked on QF93 still in business.

Needless to say I'm very happy with the upgrade and not having to catch a 6am flight in MEL.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Because it has basically zero presence in the fastest growing aviation market in the world...
The fastest growing aviation market in the world is Asia (India, China, Malaysia/Thailand/Indonesia etc.) - not Aust/NZ. The rest of the Pacific is largely a bunch of small, lower-income countries that wouldn't support much traffic.

Flying to Japan/HK/China/Taiwan might make sense. Getting into the crowded Aus-US market doesn't seem to make commercial sense at all.

But with AA's high cost structure (compared to the booming LCCs in Asia), would they be able to make a go of Asia?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone booked on SIN-BOM sector?
What happened to your booking so far, rebooked or any option provided?
I can’t see any changes on my booking so far.
Thanks for any feedback.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Atlantico
Anyone booked on SIN-BOM sector?
What happened to your booking so far, rebooked or any option provided?
I can’t see any changes on my booking so far.
Thanks for any feedback.
Some info on BOM flights posted in AFF
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...-qf-36868.html
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
LEt's see what happens with the rescheduling... starting tomorrow!

This could actually work to your advantage as you may end up on QF93 MEL-LAX direct, hopefully on an A380 with lie flat beds in J. And it leaves mid-morning which means you won't have such an early start to fly to AKL.

You could even take the initiative here by calling up QF and/ or your frequent flyer program if it is an award ticket to "confirm that you will be rebooked on QF93 on the same date".
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF Lad
This could actually work to your advantage as you may end up on QF93 MEL-LAX direct, hopefully on an A380 with lie flat beds in J. And it leaves mid-morning which means you won't have such an early start to fly to AKL.

You could even take the initiative here by calling up QF and/ or your frequent flyer program if it is an award ticket to "confirm that you will be rebooked on QF93 on the same date".
"Upgraded" to QF93 as well. Needless to say, I am VERY happy J class on A380, yay! Wish I had a F ticket haha.

Anyways, what kind of dining service is to be expected on this route?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
The fastest growing aviation market in the world is Asia (India, China, Malaysia/Thailand/Indonesia etc.) - not Aust/NZ. The rest of the Pacific is largely a bunch of small, lower-income countries that wouldn't support much traffic.

Flying to Japan/HK/China/Taiwan might make sense. Getting into the crowded Aus-US market doesn't seem to make commercial sense at all.

But with AA's high cost structure (compared to the booming LCCs in Asia), would they be able to make a go of Asia?
With Asia-Pacific I meant all the region. Due to historic issues/regulations, Delta/United have the "Narita advantage" over AA, yet AA has strong partners in the area. I believe there are chances to strengthen the relationship with CX and to fly direct to HK, perhaps connecting to Kuala Lumpur since MH will soon join OW. A flight to SIN continuing to CGK would also be profitable, I am sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.