Wiki Posts
Search

children's strollers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, VA P
children's strollers

Apologies if this is posted somewhere else but I can't find it. In a change from my lonely yet blissful solo business travel I am taking the family to HKG and LHR next month.

Last time we did this trip as a family our son was 18 months and we didn't worry about a pram. This time he's 4 and not a concern but we now have a 9 month old. I think I've seen plenty of collapsing strollers in airports everywhere but never paid any attention.

Can you take these on the plane? Do you check them at the aircraft door? If so, do you ever see them back before the collections area?

Have taken big prams to Fiji in checked bags but never this.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by RAW82
Can you take these on the plane?
No. You can take a go-go babyz on. We did that when we purchased a seat for our kid who was under 2 but too big for me to hold trans-Pac. She just sat in her car seat. In fact it strapped in fine without even having to remove the GGB.

Do you check them at the aircraft door?
Yep.

If so, do you ever see them back before the collections area?
Nope. That said, when we returned to MEL, Qantas had a miscellany of strollers by the jetbridge that you could use. I think they were lost items and they provided them as a service to customers who had gate-checked their umbrella strollers. Nifty, I thought. That was a couple of years ago so no idea if they still do that.

Last edited by eamus; Feb 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm Reason: Add link.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Fortunately J and as I can't bring myself to pay for a seat for a baby in J we're going to go with the bassinets.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
There are some exceptions - especially if you travel in J.

We used the Quinny Zapp. http://www.quinny.com/ot-en/strollers/quick-use/zapp

It has a bag and folds nearly to hand luggage sizes. When showing up at check in I sometimes had discussions as "all strollers need to be checked". But if I just pack it in the bag I could take it on board. My experiences with that are: QF, BA, LH, LX, TG, SQ, NZ. The stroller had quite a life (and would have earned quite a good status). Sometimes I had some discussions (worst was LX in MUC). Usually they refuse to take it. Then you fold it and put it in the bag. Then you get an "Uhh its so small - I did not know it...." and I could take it.

It fits in the overhead bins with no problem.

It is just handy, especially if you are connecting somewhere. Usually your kid will be vey sleepy and you just have your stroller ready.

Next suggestion for the bigger kids: We now have switched to the Trunki Suitcases (bought them quite cheap in SIN in the airport!) http://www.trunki.co.uk/EN/categories/trunki_2.

Just great if you pull your kid through the long and endless walks. Other kids cry and are tired - your kid sits there and has fun! Good to take a few toys with them!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:12 am

Another vote for Quinny Zapp (much cheaper in UK - we paid £90 new) - no problems taking on board in J if you put in its special bag at the gate & sling over your shoulder. Occasionally to avoid debate we allow it to be gate tagged at check-in by staff who don't realise how small when folded (comfortably fits o/h locker) and then just put in bag at gate. Very handy at airports where long walk to bag reclaim or in middle of night. We also used the compatible Maxi Cosi cradle/car seat (fits onto the Zapp frame and into a sep bag for overhead locker) as until about 18 months more comfy than the normal upright pram seat & very handy for transferring baby without waking from pram into taxis,buses etc and only needs normal car/bus lap seatbelt to secure (unfortunately not approved for use in Aussie cars even though approved in USA,UK,Europe...). Have used the Zapp on 40 mostly long haul flights in J (BA,Qantas,Air Pacific,Cathay,Virgin Aust) and some shorthaul in Y (BA,Air Asia,Thai Airways,Virgin Blue) from 9 months to current 3 y.o. and can't recommend too highly (though stronlgy suggest use with MaxiCosi until 18mths).
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you all. Will look at the Quinny. As for the trunkie I'm already on to it.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: QF WP/LTS
My experience on SYD-HKG in J with Maclaran and Zuzu strollers, so compact but not fit for overhead lockers

QF allows gate check but you only get them back at baggage claim

CX allows gate check and gives them back to you at the aircraft door. If travelling with an infant and all the associated baggage this sways my choice to CX, as do the coffin seats which fully flat turn into pretty good play pens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.