Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

What to do with points that expire in March?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I'm not much of a traveller and have 66500 points that expire at the end of Mar 2012.

I'm in the UK so options are sparse when it comes to traveling within europe. For a short trip in Europe I will still need to fork out £80-£150 for a trip.

What else can I do with the points?

I've looked at the FF store and can get something like a 64GB Ipod touch, which I can sell and get about £200-230 for. ( I have family in Perth so can get it delivered there).

Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Welcome to FT, a1cap0ne...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Is your goal to spend the points or just to keep it alive? By earning points, you also keep them alive - e.g., car hire, hotel stay, etc.

P.S. Welcome to FT.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Leumas
Is your goal to spend the points or just to keep it alive? By earning points, you also keep them alive - e.g., car hire, hotel stay, etc.

P.S. Welcome to FT.
And since the OP has family in Perth - ask one of them to get a Woolworth's Everyday Rewards card, link it to your Qantas FF number and purchase something at Woolie's to earn points. Repeat purchase every 18 months and keep all the points alive forever.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by a1cap0ne
I'm not much of a traveller .......... ( I have family in Perth so can get it delivered there).

Any other suggestions?
If you want to be nice to your family, and are mainly interested in using the points, rather than maintaining activity on the account - then you could redeem for Woolworths (grocery store)gift cards & gift it to those in Perth.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
And since the OP has family in Perth - ask one of them to get a Woolworth's Everyday Rewards card, link it to your Qantas FF number and purchase something at Woolie's to earn points. Repeat purchase every 18 months and keep all the points alive forever.
Best idea by far, as keeps the account live
You can join on line https://www.everydayrewards.com.au
Use the WA address and then tell your family you will be getting mail !
Then get them to spend $30 at Woolies and scan you card when they pay.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 16, 2012 at 3:54 am Reason: spelling grammer
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Best idea by, as far as keeps the account live
You can join on line https://www.everydayrewards.com.au
Use the WA address and then tell your family you will be getting mail !
Then get them to spend $30 at Woolies and scan you card when they pay.

Close, spend $31 at Woolies.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by 11sjw
Close, spend $31 at Woolies.
Check-out staff just don't understand why I don't present my orange card when the bill is <$30. I say "its pointless" and they just look at me like I'm from Mars.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: QFF WP
"pointless"

Originally Posted by og
Check-out staff just don't understand why I don't present my orange card when the bill is <$30. I say "its pointless" and they just look at me like I'm from Mars.
nice pun..!^
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by a1cap0ne

Any other suggestions?
Family transfer the points to your family in Perth, I am sure they can use them.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat_4D
Family transfer the points to your family in Perth, I am sure they can use them.
Transfers do not keep accounts alive, but at least the points are not lost
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by og
Actually, it isn't pointless (well, at least as far as Woolies is concerned). They use the data they glean from your purchase to target you with promos that are relevant, my mother (as an example) was offered a free 1.25l bottle of Coke~ Zero with her next shop (the system tracked that this is the soft drink sje most regularly purchases).

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by thadocta
Actually, it isn't pointless (well, at least as far as Woolies is concerned). They use the data they glean from your purchase to target you with promos that are relevant, my mother (as an example) was offered a free 1.25l bottle of Coke~ Zero with her next shop (the system tracked that this is the soft drink sje most regularly purchases).
I'd be happy to redeem any number of points to stop Wollies playing their "fresh food people" self promotion music. I'm actively deciding whether to walk further to Coles to avoid that annoying tune.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by og
I'd be happy to redeem any number of points to stop Wollies playing their "fresh food people" self promotion music. I'm actively deciding whether to walk further to Coles to avoid that annoying tune.
+100!!! And why don't Coles partner up with Velocity anyway? Who collects Flybuys anymore?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by og
Same here. You'd think they'd know more about it than we do, funnily enough, but that's not always the case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.