Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Booking flights for others - will my WP status help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi

Just a quick question: I am a WP and my parents are thinking of doing a business class trip soon. I won't be travelling, but if I do the booking for them online via my QFF account and pay for it myself, will they get the benefit of my Platinum status and, for example, be able to choose seats in the "Platinum only" section of J (eg. nose of the 747)?

Cheers

Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Short answer - no.

HTH.

Dave
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:29 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by rlgshz
Hi
but if I do the booking for them (not) online via my QFF account and pay for it myself, (snipped) and be able to choose seats in the "Platinum only" section of J (eg. nose of the 747)?

Cheers

If you call the Premium Desk and explain you're booking and paying for your parents, then you have a good chance of getting the seats you/they want at the time of the telephone, not online, booking. I've certainly had this experience (admittedly many years ago), however it can't hurt to try.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by willyroo
If you call the Premium Desk and explain you're booking and paying for your parents, then you have a good chance of getting the seats you/they want at the time of the telephone, not online, booking. I've certainly had this experience (admittedly many years ago), however it can't hurt to try.
+1 IME.
You will not get any other benefits eg. Premium Check In or Lounge Access.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
I tried this recently, albeit in Y, when I booked a flight for my sister from SYD-JFK. I am a WP. The seat map showed 40D, E, F, and G available, but when I tried to pick one it would not confirm. I then called Qantas and was told those seats were blocked and could not be selected.

You may have more luck in the J cabin.

BTW, makes you wonder why anyone without status would pay $20 for seat selection when all the best seats are blocked.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by theassassin
...BTW, makes you wonder why anyone without status would pay $20 for seat selection when all the best seats are blocked.
I'd pay $20 to avoid being stuck in a middle seat.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: VA Gold
BTW, makes you wonder why anyone without status would pay $20 for seat selection when all the best seats are blocked.
Oh, 80A is not always blocked
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I tried this recently, albeit in Y, when I booked a flight for my sister from SYD-JFK. I am a WP. The seat map showed 40D, E, F, and G available, but when I tried to pick one it would not confirm. I then called Qantas and was told those seats were blocked and could not be selected.

You may have more luck in the J cabin.

A mate of mine was booked by his WP partner's FF points SYD-EZE. I informed him last year of the possibility of picking a J seat as PE. Apparently he logged into his partner's account, it was listed under 'My Bookings' and he was able to select the Skybed.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'll pose the question to Qantas soon and report back.

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.