Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar Starter Plus can't change to cheaper fare?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Another satisfied JQ customer....

I had a $100 JQ voucher from my previous experience with this outfit. I used it to buy a Starter Plus fare for the perceived 'flexibility'. Plans changed but thankfully I would be able to change flights. Log in to website, change to a flight that happens to be cheaper, click confirm, patiently wait for itinerary to be emailled to me. Nothing came through but I was not alarmed as they have been known to arrive in my inbox after the flight.

It got closer to departure date and I got the automated 'Important things I need to know' email still showing the original flight. Spent 40 minutes on the phone only to be told the change that I instigated 3 weeks ago was not successful because it couldn't be changed to a lower fare.

They didn't seem bothered that the website did not give me any kind of error message at the time, and didn't seem to understand that most reasonable customers would assume the 'you cannot change to a lower fare' clause would mean that it is possible to change to a cheaper fare, but don't expect a refund of the difference.

Has anyone else had the same problem, and how was it dealt with?

I wish they wouldn't send me $100 vouchers because I can't bear to bin them and just end up spending more on trying to redeem them
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I just used 3x 3K (JQ) vouchers, and managed to book 6x $54 StarterPlus sectors (Xmas Sale). WLG-AKL-CHC-AKL-WLG-AKL-WLG (phew!) Thje 3 hour minimum connection time meant that some canny 'nesting' of city-pairs was needed to accomplish the booking.

So, for a total outlay of $NZ 24 I expect to return 6,000 points. Of course, 1.5 weekend days have been lost to near-pointless travel.... but that is a part of the fun!!

In regard of your experience, I wouldn't expect to ever change anything without a fee unless the Max bundle had been purchased. I see the Plus bundle as adding QF FF Points and Status Credits only.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In regard of your experience, I wouldn't expect to ever change anything without a fee unless the Max bundle had been purchased. I see the Plus bundle as adding QF FF Points and Status Credits only.
Plus also gives "No Change Fees for permitted changes", where permitted changes includes "Time/Date changes", where "Fare Difference applies".

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't offer a refund if you changed to a cheaper fare, but not allowing such a change at all simply doesn't make sense.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by docbert
Plus also gives "No Change Fees for permitted changes", where permitted changes includes "Time/Date changes", where "Fare Difference applies".

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't offer a refund if you changed to a cheaper fare, but not allowing such a change at all simply doesn't make sense.
From the Jetstar website http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/plannin...res/fare-rules

Originally Posted by JQ
Fare Difference applies per passenger, per flight. Your new fare will be at least the amount of the fare you originally booked and may be more. You cannot change to a lower fare. No refund will be applicable if a lower fare is available
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should have been clearer that I personally see the only 'real' benefit of the Plus fare as being Points and SC.

Sure, there are improvements to the 'changeability' in your ticket - but there are still fees and fare class issues to be aware of as noted above.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I was not expecting a refund of the fare difference, but from what the call centre woman kept trying to drill into me was that they don't even permit changing to a cheaper fare at all.

I'm sure it did let me do it online, or at least give the appearance of it all going through successfully, but unfortunately can't prove anything. Maybe I'll try it again if they give me another voucher for this experience
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:42 am

Don't mind to side track a little, I was told that starter plus comes with meals and 2 drinks? Any pics to contribute?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Don't mind to side track a little, I was told that starter plus comes with meals and 2 drinks? Any pics to contribute?
Incorrect, nothing more than Starter apart from QFF points and SC.... Also no priority boarding as said on their website....
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 123dd
Incorrect, nothing more than Starter apart from QFF points and SC.... Also no priority boarding as said on their website....
Err.. no, that's incorrect.

For Domestic flight (including Flights between AU/NZ) "Plus" gives you QFF points/SC, priority boarding, the ability to select seats in advance, and - with the exceptions already covered in this thread - the ability to change flights without change fee.

For International flights (excl AU/NZ), "Plus" gives the same as above, plus at least one meal, and two non-alcoholic drinks per meal.

As for your comment regarding Priority Boarding, I definitely got this when I flew on a domestic Plus fare a few months ago.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by ps107
I was not expecting a refund of the fare difference, but from what the call centre woman kept trying to drill into me was that they don't even permit changing to a cheaper fare at all.
That is exactly what it states in the Jetstar fare rules details
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:23 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold

Err.. no, that's incorrect.

For Domestic flight (including Flights between AU/NZ) "Plus" gives you QFF points/SC, priority boarding, the ability to select seats in advance, and - with the exceptions already covered in this thread - the ability to change flights without change fee.

For International flights (excl AU/NZ), "Plus" gives the same as above, plus at least one meal, and two non-alcoholic drinks per meal.

As for your comment regarding Priority Boarding, I definitely got this when I flew on a domestic Plus fare a few months ago.
Never been on JQ trans Tasman, QF has much more decent product with minimal price difference.... But with domestic NZ flights, there were never priority boarding.....
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by 123dd
Never been on JQ trans Tasman, QF has much more decent product with minimal price difference.... But with domestic NZ flights, there were never priority boarding.....
Then again Jetstar does employ monkeys for ground staff in NZ. The amount of times ive gone to board at AKL & they have just been ticking people off the passenger list! instead of being able to scan the boarding passes.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Then again Jetstar does employ monkeys for ground staff in NZ. The amount of times ive gone to board at AKL & they have just been ticking people off the passenger list! instead of being able to scan the boarding passes.
Tasteless and pointless post.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Originally Posted by ps107
That is exactly what it states in the Jetstar fare rules details
All that needs to happen is you call them and they move you into a fare class that's the same. No fee.

Different fare classes aren't available on the website but they exist in the system. I don't know why the call centre didn't just do it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by lachster
All that needs to happen is you call them and they move you into a fare class that's the same. No fee.

Different fare classes aren't available on the website but they exist in the system. I don't know why the call centre didn't just do it.
It is not the fare class that has to be the same ;

the base fare has to be the same or higher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.