Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

First Lounge Vouchers for Gold Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold

Hi I recently received an email about the bonus points and voucher. The voucher has yet to arrive and I was wondering whether any one else;s had? Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF WP
Yeah I got the email yesterday... voucher shouldn't be too far away I imagine.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Interesting. I got the bonus points email (and bonus points) - I don't recall seeing anything about a F lounge invite. Today I got a physical letter from QFF - on the envelope it said something like "A special thanks from QFF..." and I thought "alright! this could be this voucher!" but inside was a simple letter dated from last week (maybe even the 8th? or 6th of dec) saying something lame like "We recently emailed you about our 50% bonus points. do take advantage of this offer" - and that was it. Also, bizarrely, they had a PS saying "do change your profile settings at qantas.com to get our latest deals and info and crap as email" - umm.. in the first line of your crappy form letter you said you'd recently emailed - in short an absolute waste of time which, in some ways, contradicted itself.

more bemused than anything else.

(incidently I wonder if any F lounge voucher offer thing is only offered to those that have flown QF internationally in some recent period? I've never flown QF internationally-though did fly CX out of MEL a couple of months ago) - so maybe any offer of that sort may be keyed to anyone who may think they could potentially use it? )
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:22 pm
Company Representative - Qantas Airways

Programs: Qantas Airways
We receive a lot of feedback from members who miss out on hearing about certain offers, events, specials etc because they have opted out of certain reminders. The P.S. is just a reminder to check your preferences and make sure you get the information you are most interested in.
To manage your preferences visit: https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...le/yourProfile

Cheers,
Red Roo
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Red Roo
We receive a lot of feedback from members who miss out on hearing about certain offers, events, specials etc because they have opted out of certain reminders. The P.S. is just a reminder to check your preferences and make sure you get the information you are most interested in.
To manage your preferences visit: https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...le/yourProfile

Cheers,
Red Roo
Could this be the reason why non-Australia based QFF received an email about updating their details competition?

Oh Que the whinges about how this competition is not open to everyone and QF is so unfair.....

Last edited by Blackcloud; Dec 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm Reason: Competition whinge
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Red Roo

Cheers,
Red Roo
RR - that's fine and makes sense - the bemusing part for me was that the letter starts off by saying "We recently emailed you...." - so given that fact, and one assumes the database was mined for those with at least an email address registered, that the PS seems to be kind of redundant in that situation - I mean, if I got the email aluded to in the opening of the letter (which I did) then surely my preferences are correctly updated anyway...

I know, it's a minor nit pick - as I wrote before I found it a bit bemusing more than anything else - and to be honest a waste of paper and postage for QF - I mean there wasn't a voucher or anything in there - basically just a reminder about the 50% bonus points (as a Gold) which i already knew about - now fine of course if I didn't get the email, or it wound up in junk somehow, but for me, it was a waste as it basically said nothing new.

I will be taking advantage of the offer once again when I fly this weekend though

oh I also noted in the fine print on the back of the letter a statement that "This offer may be extended...."

As a total side note to this - the fine print also mentioned the offer was not valid for those QFF members "restricted from earning of points on flight activity" - which sounds like they're banned for some reason or other - are there actually members in this category? Why would you be restricted from earning of points on flight activity as a QFF member? If you owe money somehow? I thought that was quite interesting.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
As a total side note to this - the fine print also mentioned the offer was not valid for those QFF members "restricted from earning of points on flight activity" - which sounds like they're banned for some reason or other - are there actually members in this category? Why would you be restricted from earning of points on flight activity as a QFF member? If you owe money somehow? I thought that was quite interesting.
I've got friends who are Commonwealth public servants (not just politicians, anybody in a gov't agency) and since last year sometime, they don't earn points on any work-funded travel. They still get status credits and they earn points on privately-funded travel, of course. So you can be WP but earn no points in a year.

Some of them fly, in Y, long-haul int'l a few times a year and domestically several times a month so the lack of points for the occasional upgrade is pretty irritating. A few say that there's now no reason to choose QF for int'l. I wonder if QF cares...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Some of them fly, in Y, long-haul int'l a few times a year and domestically several times a month so the lack of points for the occasional upgrade is pretty irritating. A few say that there's now no reason to choose QF for int'l. I wonder if QF cares...
It's not really your friends that are the clients to Qantas now are they...

.Gov is the client - and the client get the perks through price breaks. So why should QF show the same "loyalty" to your friends as someone who:-

a) paid more for their ticket.
and/or
b) made conscious choice to fly QF and isn't following corporate policy.

I know plenty of private sector people who would absolutely refuse to fly anywhere for work if they didn't get points and status.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: QF Platinum
I've got friends who are Commonwealth public servants (not just politicians, anybody in a gov't agency) and since last year sometime, they don't earn points on any work-funded travel.
[...]
A few say that there's now no reason to choose QF for int'l. I wonder if QF cares...
My understanding of this is that this is not Qantas's choice at all.
It seems the Government has forced Qantas NOT to offer points with their government rates.

Bad luck for travelling public servants and another job disadvantage if you work for the Government.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by d00t
It's not really your friends that are the clients to Qantas now are they...

.Gov is the client - and the client get the perks through price breaks.
By the same reasoning, I'm not a client of Qantas when I travel for my company; my friends who work for Microsoft, Coles-Myer, Sydney Uni or BHP are not clients either - their employers are.

So are these "price breaks" available to any employer who is willing to go without points? For example:
I know plenty of private sector people who would absolutely refuse to fly anywhere for work if they didn't get points and status.
What if their employer (and other employers in the same field) all negotiated a "price break/no point" deal? For that matter, why doesn't QF offer a range of fares (e-deal, flexible, business) that are cheaper than their current fares but don't attract points?
So why should QF show the same "loyalty" to your friends as someone who:-

a) paid more for their ticket.
and/or
b) made conscious choice to fly QF and isn't following corporate policy.
But the non-gov't person doesn't necessarily pay more.

1) Corporate passenger or private citizen on a red e-deal gets points. A gov't person on a semi-flex or fully flexible fare is paying more, yet get no points.

2) As I said, my gov't friends are choosing to fly other airlines for int'l rather than QF. I can only assume those airfares are competitive with QF "price break" fares. If QF believes that's a good business outcome, I won't argue with them.

3) If someone in industry is choosing to fly QF against corporate policy, QF might reward them for their loyalty, but their employer may not be so understanding if they find out.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Economy_Gold
My understanding of this is that this is not Qantas's choice at all.
It seems the Government has forced Qantas NOT to offer points with their government rates.

Bad luck for travelling public servants and another job disadvantage if you work for the Government.
(Saw this after I replied above.) Agreed. I can't imagine that Qantas thought this was a good deal.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
By the same reasoning, I'm not a client of Qantas when I travel for my company; my friends who work for Microsoft, Coles-Myer, Sydney Uni or BHP are not clients either - their employers are.
Exactly right. This is why those who keep the deals in place get the extra special perks including Chairmans Lounge.

So are these "price breaks" available to any employer who is willing to go without points?
Of course. But QFF doesn't like this because by offerring points on all flights it ties the actual passenger to the airlines rewards program.

why doesn't QF offer a range of fares (e-deal, flexible, business) that are cheaper than their current fares but don't attract points?
Qantas would love this.
Qantas Frequent Flyer would not.

Also you can see them trialing this with Jetstar already... don't give them any stupid ideas to try it on a real airline!!

But the non-gov't person doesn't necessarily pay more.

1) Corporate passenger or private citizen on a red e-deal gets points. A gov't person on a semi-flex or fully flexible fare is paying more, yet get no points.
Need to compare apples with apples. Private traveller and gov employee both flying on a fully flexible ticket. I know who is paying more...

2) As I said, my gov't friends are choosing to fly other airlines for int'l rather than QF. I can only assume those airfares are competitive with QF "price break" fares. If QF believes that's a good business outcome, I won't argue with them.
Think about it:- You fly all year with QF and get no points. Your points balance for the year has probably increased by 20-30K (based on average persons CC spend/year). Not enough for a free flight and not enough for a decent upgrade. As a regular government employee, you're not earning the big bucks and you're not feeling the love from QF because your flights are tagged as Government spend. This makes them more likely to choose flights based on price...and QF certainly are not the cheapest.

Back on topic: My partner gold didn't get any First Lounge voucher. And why should they...?? there's no loyalty there from them. *I* am the real customer and QF certainly has looked after me.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:52 pm

Well thanks everyone for the responses - seems I opened quite the discussion point with my casual aside!! Sorry to derail the thread a bit - to get slightly back on topic - I have no lounge invite of any sort - still interested why it seems some Golds maybe getting this (?) and others are not?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Hi I recently received an email about the bonus points and voucher. The voucher has yet to arrive and I was wondering whether any one else;s had? Thanks
Got the mail as well on the 7th of December and made platinum shortly afterwards. No voucher received but guess I won't be needing it anymore.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
Received my voucher yesterday, valid till Dec 2012.
Flying to Europe end of Jan so I might use when I depart from MEL, assuming there is a First Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.