Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
As a Travel agent this is the worse thing that could have happened.

We regularly book QF domestically and internationally for both leisure and corporate clients and needless to say this is a disaster.

Next week is going to be painful.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
What a fantastic and bold move by an airline that has been besieged by a bunch of b!tchy unionists.

God I love a corporate cat fight. QF moved their piece into checkmate - good on them.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: QF Platinum
We are booked CNS/SYD next Sat on QF then JQ SYD/HNL not sure where we stand? (info says entire fleet ex Tasman flights). Might have to rebook to SYD with VA and hope JQ are still flying.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by Limewood
We are booked CNS/SYD next Sat on QF then JQ SYD/HNL not sure where we stand? (info says entire fleet ex Tasman flights). Might have to rebook to SYD with VA and hope JQ are still flying.
I'd keep an eye out on Qantas.com

The call centre will be crazy starting from now no doubt.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Vidic15
As a Travel agent this is the worse thing that could have happened.

We regularly book QF domestically and internationally for both leisure and corporate clients and needless to say this is a disaster.

Next week is going to be painful.
I feel really sorry for you - I have just spoken with my own TA (although I do not fly QF) and she was just called to work to start sorting this mess.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I feel really sorry for you - I have just spoken with my own TA (although I do not fly QF) and she was just called to work to start sorting this mess.
It's also ironic in that Qantas are running an incentive atm to try and boost their sales.

Am heading overseas on Friday...thank god I am not booked on QF.

Going to be a .... fight that's for sure.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Joyce will survive this you only need to look at the shareholder votes from the AGM. 95%+ supported all resolutions including Joyce renumeration. QF won't be permitted by the Government to stop flying for long, this is just to force Fair Work to make a decision.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by haydensydney
What a fantastic and bold move by an airline that has been besieged by a bunch of b!tchy unionists.

God I love a corporate cat fight. QF moved their piece into checkmate - good on them.
I wouldn't say that this is a win by Qantas nor would I say that the other side are just a bunch of b!tchy(sic) unionists ; neither side seems to have a moral high ground in the dispute
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I'm going to give up flying soon -

- booked Sunday (6th) on QF to Thailand.... looks like neither will work out all that well

Here's hoping.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I'm going to give up flying soon -

- booked Sunday (6th) on QF to Thailand.... looks like neither will work out all that well

Here's hoping.
Hey, I thought that you were loyal to *A...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Good opportunity and incentive to see whether the the competitors on the routes have a better product than Qantas

I got a call from QF about two weeks ago inquiring why I have not flown with them in in last quarter. I fly at least 2 x (JFK/LHR) each month and multiple domestic sectors. My reply was I am flying other carriers until the current uncertainty is sorted out.

I am assuming I am not alone in this.

I am normally sympathetic to union demands and have contributed significantly to past campaigns such as the anti-work choices campaign. But I also understand economics.

By far QF pilots are the best paid in the world. In some cases they are paid double the wage+allowances (take home cash) than airlines competing on the same route. For example SQ A380 pilots earn around $SG 200k while the same QF pilot earns well over $400k in salary plus allowances.

US Pilots earn significantly less with domestic pilots earning as little as $USD 18k

Even though I do not think Alan Joyce is the the best person for the job the high labour costs have very little is not a problem of his own making. Successive QF CEO's have passed on this problem until it has to be faced now.

This in many ways different from the US airlines having to renegotiate their labour contracts in the last few years. The difference is the US airlines waited until chapter 11 bankruptcy to do this and by waiting destroyed all the shareholder equity in the business. With this in mind I am not surprised 96% of the shareholders backed a restructures now rather than waiting for administration. At least today they are looking like they may get 30c-40c in the dollar invested 5 years ago. In administration they are likely to see zero.

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Good, the damage is all his own making.

He needs to be gone yesterday.

John Borghetti must be wetting himself...
Interesting that the unions are all for VA. But VA pays significantly less for pilots and even the recent 28% pay increase still leaves them being paid less than QF union pilots.

May be if AIPA pilots (QF) offered to work under the same terms as the VIPA pilots (QF) they would have more public support.

Either way if QF goes out if business the people to loose out would be the employees and shareholders.

As for us customers there will always be another airline.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
neither side seems to have a moral high ground in the dispute
^^^
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like QF12 LAX-SYD got away before the announcement, but rumor is that at least one of the later flights was canceled after passengers had already boarded...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Hey, I thought that you were loyal to *A...
I was - more fool me it seems

(actually, it was the BA $995 fares WLG-SYD-BKK return I took in 2009 and 2010 that sucked me in).
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I hope for a speedy resolution for all concerned. Unfortunately I'm not sure that the current Australian Federal Government has the brains or balls to sort this schmozzle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.