Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas cancels flights -anyone affected? (merged thread)

Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

I'm posting this in TravelBuzz because being stranded is of a more general interest - and I'm posting this with the hope that some FTers might be able to provide some form of assistance to other FTers who are, well, stuck.

I'm travelling now but I can imagine how uncomfortable I'd feel if the airline I was flying on suddenly disappeared.

This also impacted the heads of state and diplomats who flew over to the Commonwealth meeting in Australia by the way. Interesting timing...

Qantas Cancels All Flights Worldwide

Qantas Airways, a member of the oneworld alliance, has cancelled all of its domestic and international flights effective immediately and the airline will lock out its employees on Monday. The decision was in response to escalating tensions between labor and management. Currently, unions that represent baggage handlers, engineers, and pilots have been involved in ongoing disputes revolving largely around the Australian flag carrier’s plans to establish new lower-cost airlines in Asia.

At a news conference today, the airline’s CEO, Alan Joyce, …
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:38 am

If anyone in ICN is stranded, send me a PM if they need a place to crash.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:39 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
jspira, though I appreciate that you deliberately chose the TravelBuzz forum, the most apt place for this thread is where FlyerTalkers would normally look first for discussion of the effects of a QF strike -- in the Qantas forum. I'll need to move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
wrong thread

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Oct 29, 2011 at 9:15 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Question Directly affected passengers - Qantas

(I think this deserves a new thread - for all people directly affected and those who may be able to help)

For me then..
I am scheduled to fly LAX back home to BNE (Via MEL) on the 30th in business, but my ticket was 'purchased' as a one way anyseat reward.

Per the rules, if I go and buy a VAustralia flight now for 6,000$ or more, will Qantas give me the 'difference' - I know from looking that Qantas seem to 'value' my ticket at around $1,200 as it was a anyseat seat for 96,000 points + paid tax, not a silly point price one.

Their site says "
International customers
Qantas will arrange accommodation, meals and transfers for you.
Full details of how to claim your reimbursement, including an online claim form will be available on qantas.com shortly. Please ensure you keep all receipts in order to make your claim.

and
Note:
Customers wishing to rebook to another carrier in the same class of travel may do so. Qantas will reimburse the difference between the cost of the customer's alternate ticket (in the same class of travel) and the value of their refunded Qantas ticket.

and
Frequent Flyer Redemption Tickets
Passengers travelling on Qantas and Qantas code share operated by Jetstar Classic Award redemption tickets are entitled to the same options and conditions as listed above.

Hmmm, so will Qantas give me back some $5000 to cover the V Australia flight so I can get home, or alternately will they cover costs of $350 + per day while I wait - 10 days would be $3500 and I still need to fly!.

Ideas?

Brian.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't understand your question. If you need to get home, book the VAustralia flight and claim the reimbursment? If you want a holiday in LAX, all accommodation paid for, with no certainty over when you're coming back, then wait.

What's the cost to you (time/money/emotional) of not flying to BNE on time?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by deeruck
I don't understand your question. If you need to get home, book the VAustralia flight and claim the reimbursment? If you want a holiday in LAX, all accommodation paid for, with no certainty over when you're coming back, then wait.

What's the cost to you (time/money/emotional) of not flying to BNE on time?
Yes - I want to go home, as planned, but I cant afford to be $5k out of pocket.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:08 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think the vagaries of that notice are going to bite them in the a$$. What specifically does it mean -- that customers can purchase replacement tickets on their own, at any fare bucket up to full Y for example?? Or do they mean that you have to call and get yourself rebooked to another carrier through Qantas reissuing the ticket??

Bad, bad, communication...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bjbrian
Yes - I want to go home, as planned, but I cant afford to be $5k out of pocket.
Oh, ok that makes sense now. I'd suggest that maybe waiting until mid-afternoon Sunday AEST might be useful. Fair Work Aus should be ruling after more hearings, and it may be over very soon. There's a lot of uncertainty about when this will be over, so I'd wait, especially if you can buy a ticket that you can afford at the moment.

I agree with TA. This could lead to some very high bills for Qantas on top of the lost revenue.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:41 pm

(I think this deserves a new thread - for all people directly affected and those who may be able to help)

For me then..
I am scheduled to fly LAX back home to BNE (Via MEL) on the 30th in business, but my ticket was 'purchased' as a one way anyseat reward.

Per the rules, if I go and buy a VAustralia flight now for 6,000$ or more, will Qantas give me the 'difference' - I know from looking that Qantas seem to 'value' my ticket at around $1,200 as it was a anyseat seat for 96,000 points + paid tax, not a silly point price one.

Their site says "
International customers
Qantas will arrange accommodation, meals and transfers for you.
Full details of how to claim your reimbursement, including an online claim form will be available on qantas.com shortly. Please ensure you keep all receipts in order to make your claim.

and
Note:
Customers wishing to rebook to another carrier in the same class of travel may do so. Qantas will reimburse the difference between the cost of the customer's alternate ticket (in the same class of travel) and the value of their refunded Qantas ticket.

and
Frequent Flyer Redemption Tickets
Passengers travelling on Qantas and Qantas code share operated by Jetstar Classic Award redemption tickets are entitled to the same options and conditions as listed above.

Hmmm, so will Qantas give me back some $5000 to cover the V Australia flight so I can get home, or alternately will they cover costs of $350 + per day while I wait - 10 days would be $3500 and I still need to fly!.

Ideas?

Brian.
you did not get an anyseat award you got a classic award.
anyseat is much more than 96000.
but seams you are entitled to buy a normal ticket - if you can get one that is!
other than that check your insurance as well to be sure before buying a 6k ticket.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
other than that check your insurance as well to be sure before buying a 6k ticket.
You can get an anyseat award for the same point cost as a classic award, you just need to top it up with cash on a sliding scale...wind down the points (to a lower limit equal to the classic award points cost) and wind up the cash...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Ah, as I had said it was not a silly point one. There are 'some' anyseat options at not much more than classic - just not many....
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
as an aside, and not that it is directly affecting me as I don't fly JQ, but are the domestic lounges still open for those who are unfortunate enough to have to fly them?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ah, as I had said it was not a silly point one. There are 'some' anyseat options at not much more than classic - just not many....
Then comes in the definition of silly ... I class overpaying for an award as silly ... generally the "cheap" anyseat awards are available when classic awards are available anyway
Old Oct 29, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Then comes in the definition of silly ... I class overpaying for an award as silly ... generally the "cheap" anyseat awards are available when classic awards are available anyway
Sometimes the difference is as little as a few dollars...yet the any seat award earns miles + TPs.

I priced out classic and any seat awards to LHR...both 128k miles...the anyseat cash component was about $20 more....but you'd get 20k+ miles for that $20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.