Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas International & Domestic grounded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by swiss_global
The discussion goes very much who is going to win and who is going to loose, the unions or management.

But definitely on the looser side are the passengers. They gonna incur additional cost, loss of business, loss of value time with their loved ones. And they are never compensated, let alone reconciled. My sympathy is with them, damaged by the ruthless union leaders and management beyond any means.
This. I am due to fly QF9 MEL-SIN on Wed. I need this about as much as a hole in the head.

I should probably be looking to get rebooked to BA16 and get to SYD somehow.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by thewinchester
He's not exactly the person you want coming out against you.
Good to know he is firmly on the side of QF.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:57 am

Programs: TG, QF, SQ, EK.
Joyce is doing a "Murdoch"

Alan Joyce's approach reminds me of the lockout that Rupert Murdoch did to UK print unions over their demands many years ago. He locked out and eventually sacked hordes of newspaper employees while simultaneously activating "Fortress Wapping" - a newish automated printing press. Murdoch won and the unions lost.

Joyce is doing the equivalent. Unless the unions cave in he will close Qantas permanently and Jetstar - his "fortress Wapping" - will become the main brand. Displaced Qantas employees at best will be offered the conditions of Jetstar and take it or leave it. Qantas as a corporation will not collapse, just the Qantas brand as a worst case.

Along the way the incompetent Australian Government will further damage itself as its "Fair Work Australia" is exposed as the union dominated front that it is.

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB
Well, definitely not my view. The changes to get a seat in the MUC and FRA SEN lounges at peak hours are absolutely zero from my experience (using them about twice to three times a month). The waiting list for showers in these lounges is generally between 6 and 8 hours (!). The food is fine, if you are in to beer and pretzels ... So I'd go for QF Business lounge any day, without ever thinking twice.

Also in the air, the QF product is far superior to the LH one. And on StarAlliance, none of the other airlines has access to your itinerary, not even the LH subsidiaries such as LX. So you'll under any circumstance have to call their call center in Germany ...

I can understand your frustration with the strike action, but I totally disagree on your comments re the product.
^+1

As far as product quality is involved, QF beats LH hands down IMO. LX is a bit better than LH but not on par with QF either.
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by moa999
Dick Smith "I would have closed down Qantas International three years ago"
@:-)

Maybe he could have just ensured that they installed video screens and didn't try to force passengers to hub at SYD, LAX and LHR when they wanted to?

Qantas International is where it is because of many years of bad management decisions.

Programs: Qantas
Angry Bring it ONN!!!

Originally Posted by haydensydney
What a fantastic and bold move by an airline that has been besieged by a bunch of b!tchy unionists.

God I love a corporate cat fight. QF moved their piece into checkmate - good on them.
Totally agree with this.
Go QF!!!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by moa999
Dick Smith "I would have closed down Qantas International three years ago"
Dick has opinion on everything, but he never has a solution - or he runs away LOL
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stifle
This. I am due to fly QF9 MEL-SIN on Wed. I need this about as much as a hole in the head.

I should probably be looking to get rebooked to BA16 and get to SYD somehow.
You could just try looking at SQ or EK or JQ non-stop to Singapore. SQ and Ek seem to have plenty of availability for wed; JQ leaves at 1645 and EK at 1900 so both within a reasonable timeframe to QF's 1700 schedule

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
Originally Posted by thewinchester
Listen, I think it's a bit early to start making alternative arrangements. As noted above, the Fair Work Commission meeting tonight will have an outcome on the next step.

This meeting will also give a good indication of how long this goes on for. If the order to suspend action is granted by the commission, they could be back flying as early as tomorrow - as the grounding and lockout has been done by QF in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Work Act.
I've not made alternative arrangements, just looking into the options in case this drags on. I've got a trip to Antarctica booked, and there is no chance in hell I'm missing it So I'd rather be on top of things and have a contingency plan in place.

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Isn't he former union thug?
Originally Posted by willyroo
[mod hat]

Let's keep it civil, folks. Argue the issue, not the personalities...

[/mod hat]
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I am sorry to slip - but could not help myself after listenning to him on ABC24...
What ever his history it is a fact they he has effectively destroyed non RPT Civil Aviation in Oz during his reign.

A few silly ideas but mainly through an absolute total lack of action.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:59 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by crdaus
Alan Joyce's approach reminds me of the lockout that Rupert Murdoch did to UK print unions over their demands many years ago. He locked out and eventually sacked hordes of newspaper employees while simultaneously activating "Fortress Wapping" - a newish automated printing press. Murdoch won and the unions lost.

Joyce is doing the equivalent. Unless the unions cave in he will close Qantas permanently and Jetstar - his "fortress Wapping" - will become the main brand. Displaced Qantas employees at best will be offered the conditions of Jetstar and take it or leave it. Qantas as a corporation will not collapse, just the Qantas brand as a worst case.

Along the way the incompetent Australian Government will further damage itself as its "Fair Work Australia" is exposed as the union dominated front that it is.
Rupert Murdoch did that when Thatcher was the British PM.

Alan Joyce is trying to do it against a government containing Greg Combet and Bill Shorten. Do you really think that he will prevail?

The only Murdoch whom Alan Joyce reminds me of is the hopelessly delusional guy in "The A-Team".
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by SwissexLUG
^+1

As far as product quality is involved, QF beats LH hands down IMO. LX is a bit better than LH but not on par with QF either.
But there are definitely better airlines than QF around even if , as suggested, LH is not
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Well, definitely not my view. The changes to get a seat in the MUC and FRA SEN lounges at peak hours are absolutely zero from my experience (using them about twice to three times a month). The waiting list for showers in these lounges is generally between 6 and 8 hours (!). The food is fine, if you are in to beer and pretzels ... So I'd go for QF Business lounge any day, without ever thinking twice.

Also in the air, the QF product is far superior to the LH one. And on StarAlliance, none of the other airlines has access to your itinerary, not even the LH subsidiaries such as LX. So you'll under any circumstance have to call their call center in Germany ...

I can understand your frustration with the strike action, but I totally disagree on your comments re the product.
Well said mate. LH is a great airline don't get me wrong, however I also find QF far superior in terms of service on and off the ground.

Good to see QF taking this bold move - the ball is in the union's court now ...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Dick Smith is 100% correct. Australians talk about the nation's iconic carrier, and then they all fly overseas on everybody but QANTAS. Why? Because everybody else (pretty much) is cheaper. Why? Because QANTAS has an internationally uncompetitive cost base. For QANTAS employees to be demanding more under the current circumstances is suicidal.

I haven't flown QANTAS International in years. When I can fly (for example) Aus<>US for $7k return on NZ or VA and QANTAS want $11k, why would I?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by RBH58
Dick Smith is 100% correct. Australians talk about the nation's iconic carrier, and then they all fly overseas on everybody but QANTAS. Why? Because everybody else (pretty much) is cheaper. Why? Because QANTAS has an internationally uncompetitive cost base. For QANTAS employees to be demanding more under the current circumstances is suicidal.

I haven't flown QANTAS International in years. When I can fly (for example) Aus<>US for $7k return on NZ or VA and QANTAS want $11k, why would I?
The reason that QF charges those prices is because there are enough people who will pay that amount rather than a QF flight costing thousands more in salary per flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.