Heathrow - Terminal 5

Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
They haven't said anything on AFF either
What I think happened was:
BA decides to tighten up ( ie. remove) Lounge access for QP to its Galleries Lounges as some clever d!ck has noticed that its not in the QF T&C's
They don't tell QF and hope that they won't notice.
Members start to complain to QF and upon reading their own T&C's QF realize that strictly speaking BA is correct.
QF decide initially to tell everyone that BA is correct.
Many more people complain and QF decide if they don't do something the Qantas Club will be as useful as Lifetime Golden Wings
This is my suspicion as well.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
What I think happened was:
BA decides to tighten up ( ie. remove) Lounge access for QP to its Galleries Lounges as some clever d!ck has noticed that its not in the QF T&C's
They don't tell QF and hope that they won't notice.
Members start to complain to QF and upon reading their own T&C's QF realize that strictly speaking BA is correct.
QF decide initially to tell everyone that BA is correct.
Many more people complain and QF decide if they don't do something the Qantas Club will be as useful as Lifetime Golden Wings
I agree, quite likely.

There may also be high level discussions going on over the JSA given the QF LHR withdrawals and BA decided to flex some muscle.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959
I certainly hope your reading of the situation is incorrect - though I would obviously like the end result to be back to the previous service level.

Given the "strengthening of the JSA" which was promised by Mr Joyce as part of the "revamping" of the LHR services, regardless of the eventual outcome, this episode certainly does not bode well for that relationship/agreement going forward - whoever is responsible.

You'd have thought that, given the current climate at QF, their Management woiuld be doing all it could to proactively maintain the brand's reputation, particularly with those from whom they're looking to obtain discretionary spend.

Then again .... this "smells" more like ongoing devaluing of the QC service offering. It will be interesting to see the final spin given some of the nonsense to date about "previous T5 access rules".

Regards,
BD
So, who is going to contact Today Tonight / A Current Affair?

I guess I should do my part and at least raise the issue with QF, being LON based at the moment and having QP life membership.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
They wouldn't be interested ... there's no diet or celeb book involved.

BD
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flashware
Go on I dare you
I can see the headlines now:
Aussie battlers at Heathrow forced to buy their own Champagne and Canapes
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Go on I dare you
No no no Fiona

The headline would have to be "Pommie ba*#ta@ds at Heathrow force Aussie battlers to buy their own Champagne and Canapes"
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:22 am

Go on I dare you
Originally Posted by pandaperth
No no no Fiona

The headline would have to be "Pommie ba*#ta@ds at Heathrow force Aussie battlers to buy their own Champagne and Canapes"
My comment was made in jest, but thanks for the laugh so early in the morning
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:29 am

No no no Fiona

Ok, you win ! ROTFLMAO
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
I agree, quite likely.

There may also be high level discussions going on over the JSA given the QF LHR withdrawals and BA decided to flex some muscle.
The JSA changes can be argued benefit both BA and QF as it helps with more efficient utilisation of their fleets. It does however mean that more JSA pax will commence journeys via BA in T5, especially once QF30 in its current form comes to a halt.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
No no no Fiona

No it's still not right...you need to get the F word in there somewhere...maybe FOREIGN chemical laden canapés!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
The JSA changes can be argued benefit both BA and QF as it helps with more efficient utilisation of their fleets. It does however mean that more JSA pax will commence journeys via BA in T5, especially once QF30 in its current form comes to a halt.
The exemption (to allow collaboration) by the ACCC will be interesting next renewal since one of the prime reasons cited is to maintain the number of end-to-end flights between Australian and the UK. IIRC correctly, the removal of BA9 from SIN-MEL was countered by QF29 extending beyond HKG into LHR to abide by the JSA.

Now that BA and QF have slashed the number of end-to-end flights; QF is starting an Asia airline - in effect becoming their own mid-point carrier - the JSA was allowed, in part, to negate the advantages of mid-point carriers over the two end-point carriers.

Pertinent to this discussion is Mr Joyce's assertion that the changes being implemented next year "strengthen the JSA". If this is true, surely one of the underlying processes would be for the team which has been working to realign schedules, slots etc would also ensure that the overall passenger experience is not only undiminished next year, but actually exceeds the current experience. That may be through the provision of refurbished lounges in Hong Kong and Singapore, but should it not also ensure that the same rights of lounge access experienced at LHR prior to the removal of the two QF services is met by the introduction of any new BA service - if not exceeds (as in "strengthens")?

Surely, QF would be arguing (sorry - negotiating) that, given the level of lounge access at T4 when the JSA was originally implemented - this should be a minimum under any new arrangements.

Or do they just care about the amount of revenue they can glean by renting out their exisiting slots?

BD
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by da.....L
I tried to enter the T5 lounge using my Qantas Club card on 9th October and was told it was the last day BA would allow it. When I asked why, the guy on the desk said that "Qantas doesn't want to pay for it anymore". He then went onto explain that "Qantas now only wants to pay for lounge access for its passengers flying on its own planes out of T3." ....
I have no doubt that Qantas were indeed paying for QP based access to T5 lounges (in spite of them being "Galleries").

Maybe BA put the prices up or a Qantas bean counter came up with this "great idea" ...
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
My wife has just been invited to renew her QC membership, and I quote from the email
I hope you are enjoying your Qantas Club experience and that you'll take this opportunity to renew your membership.

As a member, you'll continue to enjoy:
- access to more than 130 Qantas Club, Qantas international Business Lounges, partner airline and associated lounges worldwide for your comfort and convenience;
Certainly no hint of any downgrade of service

Page 36 of the July 2010 Benefits guidelines (QC3104Jul10 - the most recent one I've seen) specifically mentioned BA Galleries Club Lounge (Business) and Galleries First lounges located in Terminal 3 and Terminal 5

Of course the fine print on page 37 reads : Lounge Access and locations are subject to change without notice ....
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by PWOZUK
Page 36 of the July 2010 Benefits guidelines (QC3104Jul10 - the most recent one I've seen) specifically mentioned BA Galleries Club Lounge (Business) and Galleries First lounges located in Terminal 3 and Terminal 5

Of course the fine print on page 37 reads : Lounge Access and locations are subject to change without notice ....
I don't suppose you could post a scan of this section?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by PWOZUK
My wife has just been invited to renew her QC membership, and I quote from the email

Certainly no hint of any downgrade of service

That's very interesting, especially as QF have been telling bewildered QC members that they haven't lost anything as access to T5 was never supposed to have been granted in the first place.
The whole things a dogs breakfast and the ominous silence by QF/Red Roo on the boards is a little worrying

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.