FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Heathrow - Terminal 5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1267435-heathrow-terminal-5-a.html)

PWOZUK Oct 23, 2011 2:21 pm

I too have used Qantas Club access to T5 lounges when flying on BA tkt and metal as recentlly as July and August 2001, thoough I was challenged on the August return out of Geneva, which is still a BA (rather than 3rd party) lounge AFAIK.

I would be interested to know if the rules have changed, as not a word from Qantas on the subject, and given the changes to London/Australia BA/QF flights after March next year, this seems very relevant.

Tyrolean Oct 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I will ask the lounge dragons next week. As I am Plat I do not care in the moment, but my wife maybe stuck with the QF-Club when I fail to requalify for PG...

serfty Oct 24, 2011 12:17 am

It seems to be true - Galleries are not Terraces

I have made a direct enquiry myself on behalf of "a friend ".

It took two days but I received the (becoming) standard reply regarding Galleries not being part of the agreement. Also was this:

...The only exception to this arrangement is at Terminal 3 at Heathrow, where Qantas has a separate arrangement with British Airways to allow Qantas Club members departing on a Qantas service to access to the British Airways Galleries lounge at T3. ...
I replied back with the following:

... Until recently my friend was quite able to access the Galleries lounges at LHR T5 using his Qantas Club membership before flying on BA flights to Europe.

This had been the case since T5 opened.

So this appears to have been a change in policy. If so, can you please confirm when this indeed changed. ...
About 20 minutes later I received a telephone call with further advice. To paraphrase:
  • QP membership based access to T5 Galleries has never been a benefit.
  • For those QP members that has been allowed access to T5 Galleries, they should not have been permitted entry.
  • This non access is now being enforced.
I finished the call with a comment that such a quibble over naming of lounges in relation make Qantas Club membership virtually useless for BA flights to Europe and represented a severe reduction in value.

Traveloguy Oct 24, 2011 2:11 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 17325053)
I have made a direct enquiry myself on behalf of "a friend ".

It took two days but I received the (becoming) standard reply regarding Galleries not being part of the agreement. Also was this:
I replied back with the following:About 20 minutes later I received a telephone call with further advice. To paraphrase:
  • QP membership based access to T5 Galleries has never been a benefit.
  • For those QP members that has been allowed access to T5 Galleries, they should not have been permitted entry.
  • This non access is now being enforced.
I finished the call with a comment that such a quibble over naming of lounges in relation make Qantas Club membership virtually useless for BA flights to Europe and represented a severe reduction in value.

Very sad news indeed. If QF is actually doing this, they really should update their website as well as the QC T's & C's to clearly state that 'Galleries' lounges are not part of the agreement now that they form the majority of BA lounges both in the UK as well as across the world.

justin_krusty Oct 24, 2011 2:42 am

Very poor form given QF want you to use T5 to get to most places in Europe... (apart from the T3 BA flights). Why wouldn't a QP member just fly directly on another airline now?

amaroo Oct 24, 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by justin_krusty (Post 17325299)
Very poor form given QF want you to use T5 to get to most places in Europe... (apart from the T3 BA flights). Why wouldn't a QP member just fly directly on another airline now?

Agree 100% with you - can't wait until you can earn points on SQ with DJ status ^

Globaliser Oct 24, 2011 2:51 am

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 17325053)

Originally Posted by Traveloguy (Post 17325251)
If QF is actually doing this, they really should update their website as well as the QC T's & C's to clearly state that 'Galleries' lounges are not part of the agreement now that they form the majority of BA lounges both in the UK as well as across the world.

I couldn't agree more.

This has some similarities to the withdrawal of domestic Qantas Clubs in New Zealand. While there was, perhaps, no contractual right to expect availability to continue, the withdrawal emasculated the value of Qantas Club for New Zealand-based members even if they would in theory continue to enjoy benefits when travelling in Australia or some overseas places.

In the same way, this nomenclature-based withdrawal of benefit emasculates the value of Qantas Club for UK-based members.

Princess fiona Oct 24, 2011 4:21 am

Unbelievable, the rest of what I want to say would be unprintable.
QFF management clearly have their head stuck where the sun don't shine.
Hope it comes back to bite them :(

Globaliser Oct 24, 2011 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Princess fiona (Post 17325509)
QFF management clearly have their head stuck where the sun don't shine.

Of course, we shouldn't forget that this may not be a QFFF problem. We don't know who initiated any change, nor for what reasons.

Princess fiona Oct 24, 2011 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17325538)
Of course, we shouldn't forget that this may not be a QFFF problem. We don't know who initiated any change, nor for what reasons.

Agree with you there but they are being complicit in not having accurate up to date website info.
I was at a lunch with QFF and AFF members in Sydney Rockpool 2 weeks ago and wish I had known about this then, would have made an interesting conversation ;)

perthite Oct 24, 2011 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Princess fiona (Post 17325552)
Agree with you there but they are being complicit in not having accurate up to date website info.

Where is the website inaccurate, with regard to this?

serfty Oct 24, 2011 5:20 am

I guess the web site is not explicit.

It states access to BA lounges ("terraces"/"Business") before BA flights.

It does not state NO access to BA Galleries lounges before BA flights.

Globaliser Oct 24, 2011 5:57 am

Originally Posted by perthite (Post 17325619)
Where is the website inaccurate, with regard to this?

It isn't positively misleading, in the sense of saying (by way of hypothetical example) that you have access to CX lounges before CX flights when there is no such arrangement.

But it is misleading by silence, because the website currently gives the impression (particularly to long-standing Qantas Club members) that there is in general access to British Airways lounges, and the qualification that they be Terraces or Executive Club lounges is by way of clarification that, for example, this does not include the Concorde Rooms at LHR and JFK.

If Qantas' profferred explanation reflects the reality, the true position is that there is now only access to a few British Airways lounges which have not yet been updated to the current lounge standard, and that as the updating process continues there will be progressively fewer lounges to which Qantas Club will give access.

Qantas ought to make that clear to avoid misleading by silence.

Traveloguy Oct 24, 2011 6:22 am

Qantas should put it on their website largely because people have had access to Galleries lounges up until very recently.

flashware Oct 24, 2011 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy (Post 17325251)
Very sad news indeed. If QF is actually doing this, they really should update their website as well as the QC T's & C's to clearly state that 'Galleries' lounges are not part of the agreement now that they form the majority of BA lounges both in the UK as well as across the world.

Originally Posted by justin_krusty (Post 17325299)

That's a shame, I was just about to book a swag of BA flights but given this news I will be deflecting them back to *A (where I've booked everything the past 12 months due to not being overly impressed with BA as a whole).