Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow - Terminal 5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is absolutely correct.

However, if you want to fast track it, AA has a Platinum Challenge. You can enrol for $200 and , as long as you book your 1st trip in one of H, K, M, L, W, V classes ( i.e. avoid G, Q, N, O, S ) then on your 1st ONE WAY trip LHR-MEL you can fast track your way to Platinum status and have OW Sapphire immediately. You will need to earn 50,000 miles to renew during the year

$200 to get status on 1st outbound trip seems v worthwhile. this will give u 3 extra one way trips with 100% bonus.

If you are happy using the USA route in general, then 4 trips in a calendar year would get you Executive Platinum status ( OW Emerald ) and 1st class lounge access plus 8 one way systemwide upgrades which would enable you to upgrade 4 LHR-LAX r/ts to business class for free ( other than the the extra UK departure tax )

Correct. Just avoid QF flight numbers since the lower fares will only earn 50% with some fares being ineligable. Book on BA numbers and get 100% miles plus 100% status bonus

And all other OW business lounges

Unfortunately these are only useable on domestic flights ( and some other North American locations ) so not for LHR-LAX . These would require mileage of 25k plus $350 to upgrade as aplatinum member. If you get to 100k miles and get EXP status then you would get 8 systemwide upgrades which can upgrade LHR-LAX for free

Of course. As long as you have yor membership card, no issue with accessing AA lounges since AA Lounges are accessible with QC membership

If flying BA, the AA scheme is , imo, a lot better value than Qantas for cheap economy travelling; easier to get status and good earnings and generally far better redemption rates ( e.g. SYD-PER r/t in business for 35k vs 72k QF points or LHR-MEL one way in business 120k vs 256k plus Ł227.00 fuel surcharge ) ... all the ones quoted do have to have genuine taxes added but no fuel fine using AA points

You can find out a lot about the AA scheme in the neighbouring AA forum, but sounds like you might be happy with the scheme change

Dave
Hi David,

I've done a bit more research and it seems, from several web sources, that Elite status bonus miles do not count toward annual elite status qualification.

Our discussion earlier suggested Elite status bonus does count towards elite status qualification. Hence flying 1 MEL/LAX/LHR vv to renew Platinum status. Can you please confirm?

Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Hi David,

I've done a bit more research and it seems, from several web sources, that Elite status bonus miles do not count toward annual elite status qualification.
That is correct. For regular earning and renewal, you need 25k for gold, 50k for Platinum and 100k for executive platinum. Sticking to discount economy class, this requires 50k miles flown

LHR-LAX-MEL is 13,377 miles
LHR-MEL is 10,503 miles

Going via USA 0.93 returns trip will be enough for gold and 1.89 will be enough for platinum
Going via Asia, then it is 1.19 and 2.38

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Our discussion earlier suggested Elite status bonus does count towards elite status qualification. Hence flying 1 MEL/LAX/LHR vv to renew Platinum status. Can you please confirm?
What I was referring to is AA's fast track to platinum ; AA offers a challenge to attain status quickly. This is only for the initial attaining of status, but to renew onwards will require the 50k a year

You can enrol for the challenge for $200
You have 90 days from start of challenge ( 1st or 16th of month ) to earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Points from travel on AA . Only AA counts , though codeshares are fine

Travel LHR-LAX-MEL on AA flight numbers using a fare basis as mentioned above and you will complete the challenge on a 1 way trip from LHR-LAX-MEL.

If you are doing 2 trips a year to Oz, you can pretty easily maintain platinum status onwards.

I recommend having a look in the AA forum since that is the appropriate place for questions about AA.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: QANTAS Frequent Flyer
Red Roo: "qantas.com/loungeaccess" - not yet updated

Hi all,

I just checked the QANTAS website (8th Feb) on BA lounge access by QC members and it has still not been updated to include galleries lounges.

Until this is corrected, it is difficult to be confident that a Qantas Club membership will give access to BA Galleries lounges or to be able to successfully argue the case if entry is refused by BA at lounge reception.

Red Roo, could you please find out when this website will be updated as you said access was going to be again available (effective) January 31st and so I expected the website to corrected near that time.

Thanks for helping pass on QC members concerns to Qantas management about reinstating access to BA lounges. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by Red Roo
Hi All,

Really sorry for the delay posting in this thread and for all the inconvenience that the BA lounge access issue has caused. I would have liked to have been able to update you sooner but we have been working to get a resolution.

So, I can now (very happily) report that access to BA lounges including Galleries, Terraces and Executive Club lounges has been reinstated for Qantas Club members. This will be effective from Tuesday 31 January.

For further details on lounge access visit qantas.com/loungeaccess

Cheers,
Red Roo
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wrekker platinum
Hi all,

I just checked the QANTAS website (8th Feb) on BA lounge access by QC members and it has still not been updated to include galleries lounges.

Until this is corrected, it is difficult to be confident that a Qantas Club membership will give access to BA Galleries lounges or to be able to successfully argue the case if entry is refused by BA at lounge reception.

Red Roo, could you please find out when this website will be updated as you said access was going to be again available (effective) January 31st and so I expected the website to corrected near that time.

Thanks for helping pass on QC members concerns to Qantas management about reinstating access to BA lounges. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by Red Roo
Hi All,

Really sorry for the delay posting in this thread and for all the inconvenience that the BA lounge access issue has caused. I would have liked to have been able to update you sooner but we have been working to get a resolution.

So, I can now (very happily) report that access to BA lounges including Galleries, Terraces and Executive Club lounges has been reinstated for Qantas Club members. This will be effective from Tuesday 31 January.

For further details on lounge access visit qantas.com/loungeaccess

Cheers,
Red Roo
Well said ^
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
QF Club members - access to BA Galleries Club lounges

Originally Posted by BA
02 Feb, 2012

QF Club members - access to BA Galleries Club lounges

With immediate effect, QF Club members travelling on the routes listed below are now permitted access to the BA Galleries Club lounges in LHR T3 & T5 .
QF Club members are entitled to bring one guest into the lounge.The card holder and guest must be travelling together.

Eligibility as follows:

QF Club members plus 1 guest travelling together on any BA or QF operated flight LHR to: BKK, HKG, MEL, SIN or SYD
QF Club members plus 1 guest arriving together on any BA or QF operated flight from BKK, HKG, MEL, SIN or SYD and through connecting at LHR to any BA operated flight
Access to the Arrivals lounge is not permitted
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
so... one reading could be that it has to be an immediate connecting flight... at best case, you could show your arriving boarding pass from several days earlier to get access? I am doubtful of the latter.

so flying any other carrier to Europe, then choosing a BA flight is not going to get you access. or stopping over in London then continuing on... no access.

and from the terms and conditions on that page it looms like even if you have a complete itinerary on BA/qf - let's say syd-sin-lhr-ams... while you could get access to the galleries lounge at heathrow, on your RETURN journey you won't gat access prior to your flight in Amsterdam??

so it doesn't look like the benefit was reinstated at all. it is a completely new access agreement?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
so... one reading could be that it has to be an immediate connecting flight... at best case, you could show your arriving boarding pass from several days earlier to get access? I am doubtful of the latter.

so flying any other carrier to Europe, then choosing a BA flight is not going to get you access. or stopping over in London then continuing on... no access.

and from the terms and conditions on that page it looms like even if you have a complete itinerary on BA/qf - let's say syd-sin-lhr-ams... while you could get access to the galleries lounge at heathrow, on your RETURN journey you won't gat access prior to your flight in Amsterdam??

so it doesn't look like the benefit was reinstated at all. it is a completely new access agreement?
I suspected that this would happen and I agree with you that non-LHR Galleries access is still not included.
If BA/QF codeshare flights need to be same day connections then this also is not a good outcome.
I can understand BA not wanting BA only pax getting Galleries access without ever touching a QF code or metal flight.
I await further clarification from QF (Red Roo).
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:49 pm

Partial Reinstatement of QC access to T5 Galleries lounges

Irishguy28, could you please indicate where this information is documented on a Website.

This policy provides a much more restricted access than I expected.

It is not like reinstating the access to BA lounges to the situation before the existence of Galleries lounges.

Then access was to all Executive or Terraces worldwide, as is still stated on the Qantas Website.

This not much help with any other OneWorld Itineraries (not in the quoted list) where arrival at Heathrow is with BA (or other carriers) and departure is with BA. Galleries lounge entry will be denied at both the airport for the incoming flight and at T5 for outgoing BA flights which can be to so many destinations.

I welcome Red Roo's comments on when precise updated information will be put on the Qantas website.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Irishguy28, could you please indicate where this information is documented on a Website.

This policy provides a much more restricted access than I expected.

It is not like reinstating the access to BA lounges to the situation before the existence of Galleries lounges.

Then access was to all Executive or Terraces worldwide, as is still stated on the Qantas Website.

This not much help with any other OneWorld Itineraries (not in the quoted list) where arrival at Heathrow is with BA (or other carriers) and departure is with BA. Galleries lounge entry will be denied at both the airport for the incoming flight and at T5 for outgoing BA flights which can be to so many destinations.

I welcome Red Roo's comments on when precise updated information will be put on the Qantas website.
he already provided the link (hyperlink... just click on the bolded BA at the top of his quote).

the wording on the page is exactly as irishguy stated. there is no other clarification.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:10 pm

he already provided the link (hyperlink... just click on the bolded BA at the top of his quote).

the wording on the page is exactly as irishguy stated. there is no other clarification.
Thanks for pointing out the link. I just checked the Qantas Website on Partner Lounge Access and their information is still not updated to reflect this new restrictive policy.

The BA wording is very disappointing for OneWorld RTW travellers and further devalues the worth of QC membership.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Copying the bad news that RedRoo posted on AFF

Hi everyone,

We were of the understanding that Qantas club access was reinstated.
Sincere apologies that BA have posted on their website that this is not the case and that there are limitations to access.
Unfortunately for now, the policy on the BA site applies and we will continue to work with them to resolve the issue.
I will update you as soon as I have any news.

Thanks to you all for your patience.

Red Roo.
That policy as found here - http://www.speedbirdclub.com/nl/all-...membersaccess/

With immediate effect, QF Club members travelling on the routes listed below are now permitted access to the BA Galleries Club lounges in LHR T3 & T5 .
QF Club members are entitled to bring one guest into the lounge.The card holder and guest must be travelling together.

Eligibility as follows:

QF Club members plus 1 guest travelling together on any BA or QF operated flight LHR to: BKK, HKG, MEL, SIN or SYD
QF Club members plus 1 guest arriving together on any BA or QF operated flight from BKK, HKG, MEL, SIN or SYD and through connecting at LHR to any BA operated flight
Access to the Arrivals lounge is not permitted
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:00 am

Thanks for pointing out the link. I just checked the Qantas Website on Partner Lounge Access and their information is still not updated to reflect this new restrictive policy.

The BA wording is very disappointing for OneWorld RTW travellers and further devalues the worth of QC membership.
I read that as being the policy that needed to be changed as a result of QF now only flying via SIN and codesharing with BA on HKG/BKK flights. For Red Roo to come out and say "that's what BA are saying on their site, that's what sticks" is absolute codswallop if you ask me. QF in fact have not discussed the QC issue with BA at all IMHO.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:03 am

Exclamation

Quote today from Red Roo on Australian Frequent Flyer forum

"Hi everyone,

Sincere apologies that BA have posted on their website that this is not the case and that there are limitations to access.
Unfortunately for now, the policy on the BA site applies and we will continue to work with them to resolve the issue.
I will update you as soon as I have any news.

Thanks to you all for your patience.

Red Roo."

Seems like a longer wait to sort out the differences between BA and Qantas.
I hope Red Roo's understanding eventually prevails.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote today from Red Roo on Australian Frequent Flyer forum

did they not read the agreement before posting that it had been reinstated? Or did BA change the wording between the original confirmation and subsequent one?

bit odd me thinks
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
did they not read the agreement before posting that it had been reinstated? Or did BA change the wording between the original confirmation and subsequent one?

bit odd me thinks
One wonders if the 'agreement' was reached over one too many champagnes in an F lounge, penned on a fancy serviette and lost someone between the bar and the gate.

It certainly seems strange that something this important, yet seemingly simple, could be misconstrued by one party.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.