Heathrow - Terminal 5

Old Oct 10, 11, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
I note that T5 is not indicated here:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...rope/global/en

However, the following indicates access should have been available: (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump1)
Access to Partner airline lounges

In addition to Qantas Club lounges, you can relax in British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges) and American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges.

To access a partner airline lounge, simply present your Qantas Club card or Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card at check-in and again with your boarding pass at the lounge reception. You may also invite a guest. Note: both you and your guest must be travelling together and have onward travel that day on a flight marketed and operated by the partner airline whose lounge you wish to visit.***

*** Marketed and operated means a flight operated by the same airline whose flight number appears on your ticket. Includes American Airlines® or British Airways operated flights with a 'QF' flight number on your ticket.
Of course, this can change with little notice: (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump9)
10.8 Entry to Partner Lounges and associated lounges is subject to the individual lounge operator's entry conditions and space availability. The restriction of a maximum of one guest per Member applies, unless otherwise determined by the lounge operator.

10.9 Access policies for the use of Partner Lounge and associated lounges may vary between lounges. Current information can be obtained from the Qantas Club Service Centre.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 10, 11 at 4:53 pm
Old Oct 10, 11, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I note that T5 is not indicated here:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...rope/global/en
I think that part of the website is supposed to indicate lounges for QF-operated flights - hence LHR T3 but not LHR T5, and http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...rica/global/en lists only HNL, LAX, JFK and DFW.

The "BA lounge for BA flights" access is generally covered by http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump1 but that's now woefully out of date.

However, I note the footnote to this:
*** Marketed and operated means a flight operated by the same airline whose flight number appears on your ticket. Includes American Airlines® or British Airways operated flights with a 'QF' flight number on your ticket.
So this seems to indicate that "sold by QF, operated by BA" does qualify for access. And it makes the OP's experience more puzzling than ever.
Old Oct 10, 11, 5:42 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
But there were lots of QF issues too, not least a hostile public who see QF as untouchably Australian (a view being played on by the engineers and the pilots in turn).
Yeah, everyone is keen for it to be the Aussie own home grown airline.....right up to the point when they actually have to pull their wallet out to purchase a ticket.

That's when 82 people out of 100 decide their hard earn is better spent on other airlines for international departures leaving Australia.

I wonder how many of the remaining 18 passengers that fly QF are QF staff on cheapie tickets
Old Oct 10, 11, 6:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
... And possibly to find out just what is on this laminated card....
Years ago BA did have a laminated lounge card which had pictures of all the Oneworld FF cards, showing Emerald and Sapphire plus the super-Emerald cards. That did show QF Silver card as being not eligible (something I know because the WP card was often confused with silver -- bad choice of colours by QF there!). Perhaps the chart has been extended to show WP card, as a non-OW status card (forgeting to mention the access rights). A bit absurd, but that sounds rather BA to me.
Old Oct 11, 11, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it was a BA flight number on BA metalthen something is wrong somewhere and I would be complaining to the Qantas Club management.
The only other thing I can think of, given the OP's generic reference to "the BA lounge", is that the OP was trying to get access to the Concorde Room when not flying First, or to the Galleries First lounge in the South lounge complex. IIRC, Qantas Club access is only to Galleries Club lounges.

That might explain the reference to a laminated card, which might accurately show that a Qantas Club member is not entitled to use Galleries First (or the Concorde Room), but is entitled to use Galleries Club.

If a card was consulted, I find it hard to imagine that the lounge staff would not redirect the person to the Galleries Club lounge upstairs, in the same way that they routinely redirect Club passengers and Silver/Sapphire card holders upstairs; and (if this possibility reflects what actually happened) I would wonder whether we have been told the full story here.
Old Oct 11, 11, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
I guess we'll just have to wait until the OP advises of the flight number and the lounge.
Old Oct 11, 11, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton
I was on a BA flight to ORY (although it did have a QF code-share which I'll have to admonish my travel agent over). The lounge was in terminal 5A at the northern end (I just followed the lounge sides after getting through security).

If I had been in the wrong place, I would've been expected to be directed elsewhere, however to be shown a laminated card said to me that I wasn't the first to have this happen.
Old Oct 11, 11, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, this can change with little notice: (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump9)
10.8 Entry to Partner Lounges and associated lounges is subject to the individual lounge operator's entry conditions and space availability. The restriction of a maximum of one guest per Member applies, unless otherwise determined by the lounge operator.

10.9 Access policies for the use of Partner Lounge and associated lounges may vary between lounges. Current information can be obtained from the Qantas Club Service Centre.
Originally Posted by reubee View Post
I was on a BA flight to ORY (although it did have a QF code-share which I'll have to admonish my travel agent over). The lounge was in terminal 5A at the northern end (I just followed the lounge sides after getting through security).
Then it sounds like this needs to be taken up with Qantas. The QF website appears to be promising something that isn't being delivered at T5, and if there has been some recent change it ought to be reflected on the QF website. The T5 lounges must serve a third or so of all BA's worldwide departures (not all of which depart from stations served by BA lounges in any event), so saying that you can use BA lounges when on a BA or QF marketed flight operated by BA is pretty misleading.

I would be interested to know what response you get.
Old Oct 11, 11, 5:17 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
T5 North has 3 BA lounges, Concorde, First and Club. Which lounge did you try and access?
Old Oct 11, 11, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wrong end: they comprise the south lounge complex.

The north end has only one lounge, a Galleries Club on the same level as security.
Old Oct 11, 11, 7:15 pm

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
I would be interested to know what response you get.
So would I ... Particularly if my bought QP membership has been diluted further without a price reduction!

BD
Old Oct 12, 11, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Wrong end: they comprise the south lounge complex.

The north end has only one lounge, a Galleries Club on the same level as security.
And if the OP had gone through Flight Connections, which sounds like being the case, he would go through Security North and logically end up at Galleries Club North.
Old Oct 12, 11, 5:18 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post
So would I ... Particularly if my bought QP membership has been diluted further without a price reduction!
There is no dilution, merely an enforcement of the previously announced benefit, well documented as requiring BA marketed and operated flight to get BA lounge access. The informal benefit of access on QF codeshares was nice while it lasted, but to say that enforcing the T&Cs as documented is a dilution is a bit much! While I agree that it is a bit absurd for QP having no lounge access for a QF flight while having access for BA, but them's the rules and most on FT know the nuances when buying these products. Interesting that the status based lounge access is more generous than the paid lounge access.
Old Oct 12, 11, 5:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
There is no dilution, merely an enforcement of the previously announced benefit, well documented as requiring BA marketed and operated flight to get BA lounge access. The informal benefit of access on QF codeshares was nice while it lasted,
It wasn't informal, it was documented, as highlighted earlier in this thread.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 11, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I'm actually shocked to see what is being posted in this thread.

Firstly, I know of several friends who are still using a QF Club card to access BA J lounges in T5. No changes have recently taken place that I am aware of, so I am surprised by a number of posts in this thread.

This is very obviously a case of a BA agent not knowing their arse from their elbow. Suggest the OP contact QF customer relations and report the issue to help ensure it does not happen again. All this conjecture about things that are not true are probably just making the OP dizzy rather than pointing out the more likely cause. If the OP went to a BA J lounge (travelling on a BA or QF code) and handed over their QF Club card, they are of course entitled to access it.

Search this Thread