Heathrow - Terminal 5

Reply

Old Dec 1, 11, 6:59 pm
  #196  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,141
Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post
... and due to BA's lack of flexibility on it's "shuttle" services (unlike QF on SYD/MEL) the connection at LHR is probably my longest in a terminal and therefore greatest need.
The connection time in december from QF-BA at LHR is 90 minutes , so not exactly a huge time in a terminal once taking into account the inter terminal transfer time

Originally Posted by BD1959
Would still have QC access ex-Aus and ex-Asia on the return. Re Terraces at Manchester - who's to say BA won't rename that next week?
Who's to say that QF won't just close their lounges if going on hypotheticals; they may in the future change it and that may remove access but that hypothetical aspect is hardly a reason not to use them now
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 11, 10:27 pm
  #197  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: mostly MEL
Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
Posts: 1,536
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The connection time in december from QF-BA at LHR is 90 minutes , so not exactly a huge time in a terminal once taking into account the inter terminal transfer time
Given the last time I flew into LHR (Sept) we had a 40min hold over North East London, there's no way I'd book an inter-terminal connection of 90mins. What's that you say? If all on one ticket BA will book you on the next available flight - sure, and what if that flight is not for a couple of hours after you get to T5 because the others are full of connecting pax with higher status? I know, wile away the time in the Lounge ...... d'Oh!!



Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Who's to say that QF won't just close their lounges if going on hypotheticals; they may in the future change it and that may remove access but that hypothetical aspect is hardly a reason not to use them now
But the Galleries roll-out isn't hypothetical:
THE BEST PLACE TO REFRESH YOURSELF IS IN OUR REFRESHED LOUNGES
As part of a global programme, we’re continuing to refresh our Galleries Lounges. You can now enjoy new Galleries lounges in Geneva, Athens and Nairobi, with Rome and Milan Malpensa coming soon.
Regards,

BD
BD1959 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 11, 10:37 pm
  #198  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 2,540
Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post
But the Galleries roll-out isn't hypothetical:
THE BEST PLACE TO REFRESH YOURSELF IS IN OUR REFRESHED LOUNGES
As part of a global programme, we’re continuing to refresh our Galleries Lounges. You can now enjoy new Galleries lounges in Geneva, Athens and Nairobi, with Rome and Milan Malpensa coming soon.
Regards,

BD
I've been looking for something like this. Do you have a weblink?
danger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 11, 10:57 pm
  #199  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,141
Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post
Given the last time I flew into LHR (Sept) we had a 40min hold over North East London, there's no way I'd book an inter-terminal connection of 90mins. What's that you say? If all on one ticket BA will book you on the next available flight - sure, and what if that flight is not for a couple of hours after you get to T5 because the others are full of connecting pax with higher status? I know, wile away the time in the Lounge ...... d'Oh!!
I would have no concerns booking the minimum connecting time if on a sinle ticket and if the chance of making the connection was too bad, it wouldn't be there as a valid connection

Each to their own
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 11, 1:37 am
  #200  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 35,118
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I've been looking for something like this. Do you have a weblink?
http://www.lmgtfy.com
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:13 am
  #201  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sussex
Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Good point - and cleverly made !

It's also worth looking at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

but beware it shows LGW as "Galleries" and Geneva (GVA) as "Terraces", neither of which is correct. There may be other inconsistencies - I just know of the ones I have recently visited.
PWOZUK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 11, 2:24 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sussex
Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Where, ironically, you're unlikely to have a problem getting access ...
Fair point - what I had hoped was that since my use of the LHR/T3 lounge should be a given, I would be able to enquire from within the T3 lounge where I stood regarding access for my next ex LHR flight which happens to be LHR/DFW in January, and thus out of T5.

Last edited by PWOZUK; Dec 2, 11 at 2:26 am Reason: simplify
PWOZUK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 11, 8:03 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: Qantas Club, Miles & More
Posts: 9
Cool

I Just noticed that, Qantas on their website states the following,

In addition to Qantas Club lounges, you can relax in British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges) and American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges. For applicable lounge locations please visit www.britishairways.com and www.aa.com.
To access a partner airline lounge, simply present your Qantas Club card or Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card at check-in and again with your boarding pass at the lounge reception. You may also invite a guest. Note: both you and your guest must be travelling together and have onward travel that day on a flight marketed and operated by the partner airline whose lounge you wish to visit.***
Access to Partner Airline Lounges
However according to BA's web site, there aren't any more "Executive Club Lounges" in which case Qantas can be considered is in breach of false advertising.
xintraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 11, 8:27 am
  #204  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 35,118
Originally Posted by xintraveller View Post
However according to BA's web site, there aren't any more "Executive Club Lounges" in which case Qantas can be considered is in breach of false advertising.
This page continues to list a number of Executive Club lounges. Your point wouldn't even be factually accurate unless all of these lounges are no longer "Executive Club lounges", but this thread suggests that spme still are: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-database.html.

And even if your point were factually accurate, the withdrawal of all Executive Club lounges wouldn't change the same fundamental point that has already been made many times here, which is that there has been a sea change in practice effected by reliance on the precise wording. It really doesn't add anything.

I think we all simply have to wait the outcome of the negotiations that appear to be taking place.
Globaliser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 11, 9:36 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by xintraveller View Post

QC will lose most of their members that frequently travelling to Europe, if they don't sort this out.
Wouldn't most QF customers that "frequently travelling" to Europe have at least Gold status?
ajca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 11, 10:31 pm
  #206  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,141
Originally Posted by ajca View Post
Wouldn't most QF customers that "frequently travelling" to Europe have at least Gold status?
Depends on how you class frequently; SYD-LHR earns 60 points in discount economy so needs 5 trips a year to requalify; ( those doing that might be better served flying on BA flight numbers and crediting to AA and getting OW Emerald status anyway )
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 11, 5:17 am
  #207  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NUE,MUC,INN,FDH
Programs: QF (WP, LTG), LH (SEN** till 02/20), AB-G, AF, AA
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Depends on how you class frequently; SYD-LHR earns 60 points in discount economy so needs 5 trips a year to requalify; ( those doing that might be better served flying on BA flight numbers and crediting to AA and getting OW Emerald status anyway )
Don't forget the 4 Segment rule!
Tyrolean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 11, 6:24 am
  #208  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Katoomba (Blue Mountains)
Programs: Mucci
Posts: 8,083
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Don't forget the 4 Segment rule!
Not really enforced by AA (although that could always change).

Dave
thadocta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 11, 12:29 pm
  #209  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,141
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Don't forget the 4 Segment rule!
If AA decide to enforce that in the future, then I wont

As it stands at the moment, someone travelling in economy between UK and AU could do a lot better collecting to AA; 2.5 simple roundtrips and will be sapphire status.
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 11, 5:43 am
  #210  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NUE,MUC,INN,FDH
Programs: QF (WP, LTG), LH (SEN** till 02/20), AB-G, AF, AA
Posts: 2,025
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
Not really enforced by AA (although that could always change).

Dave
QF did not enforce it for quit a long time. Luckily, I had a trip on QF every year since then. As I travel mostly in J, QF is the much better program status wise for me. Will review when I reach LTG.
Tyrolean is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread