FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Heathrow - Terminal 5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1267435-heathrow-terminal-5-a.html)

Dave Noble Dec 1, 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959 (Post 17550705)
... and due to BA's lack of flexibility on it's "shuttle" services (unlike QF on SYD/MEL) the connection at LHR is probably my longest in a terminal and therefore greatest need.

The connection time in december from QF-BA at LHR is 90 minutes , so not exactly a huge time in a terminal once taking into account the inter terminal transfer time

Originally Posted by BD1959
Would still have QC access ex-Aus and ex-Asia on the return. Re Terraces at Manchester - who's to say BA won't rename that next week?

Who's to say that QF won't just close their lounges if going on hypotheticals; they may in the future change it and that may remove access but that hypothetical aspect is hardly a reason not to use them now

BD1959 Dec 1, 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 17550768)
The connection time in december from QF-BA at LHR is 90 minutes , so not exactly a huge time in a terminal once taking into account the inter terminal transfer time

Given the last time I flew into LHR (Sept) we had a 40min hold over North East London, there's no way I'd book an inter-terminal connection of 90mins. What's that you say? If all on one ticket BA will book you on the next available flight - sure, and what if that flight is not for a couple of hours after you get to T5 because the others are full of connecting pax with higher status? I know, wile away the time in the Lounge ...... d'Oh!!

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 17550768)
Who's to say that QF won't just close their lounges if going on hypotheticals; they may in the future change it and that may remove access but that hypothetical aspect is hardly a reason not to use them now

But the Galleries roll-out isn't hypothetical:
THE BEST PLACE TO REFRESH YOURSELF IS IN OUR REFRESHED LOUNGES
As part of a global programme, we’re continuing to refresh our Galleries Lounges. You can now enjoy new Galleries lounges in Geneva, Athens and Nairobi, with Rome and Milan Malpensa coming soon.
Regards,

BD

danger Dec 1, 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959 (Post 17551669)
But the Galleries roll-out isn't hypothetical:
THE BEST PLACE TO REFRESH YOURSELF IS IN OUR REFRESHED LOUNGES
As part of a global programme, we’re continuing to refresh our Galleries Lounges. You can now enjoy new Galleries lounges in Geneva, Athens and Nairobi, with Rome and Milan Malpensa coming soon.
Regards,

BD

I've been looking for something like this. Do you have a weblink?

Dave Noble Dec 1, 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by BD1959 (Post 17551669)
Given the last time I flew into LHR (Sept) we had a 40min hold over North East London, there's no way I'd book an inter-terminal connection of 90mins. What's that you say? If all on one ticket BA will book you on the next available flight - sure, and what if that flight is not for a couple of hours after you get to T5 because the others are full of connecting pax with higher status? I know, wile away the time in the Lounge ...... d'Oh!!

I would have no concerns booking the minimum connecting time if on a sinle ticket and if the chance of making the connection was too bad, it wouldn't be there as a valid connection

Each to their own

Globaliser Dec 2, 2011 1:37 am

Originally Posted by danger (Post 17551710)
I've been looking for something like this. Do you have a weblink?

http://www.lmgtfy.com

PWOZUK Dec 2, 2011 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17552212)

Good point - and cleverly made !

It's also worth looking at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

but beware it shows LGW as "Galleries" and Geneva (GVA) as "Terraces", neither of which is correct. There may be other inconsistencies - I just know of the ones I have recently visited.

PWOZUK Dec 2, 2011 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 17548041)
Where, ironically, you're unlikely to have a problem getting access ...

Fair point - what I had hoped was that since my use of the LHR/T3 lounge should be a given, I would be able to enquire from within the T3 lounge where I stood regarding access for my next ex LHR flight which happens to be LHR/DFW in January, and thus out of T5.

xintraveller Dec 2, 2011 8:03 am

I Just noticed that, Qantas on their website states the following,

In addition to Qantas Club lounges, you can relax in British Airways lounges (Terraces and Executive Club lounges) and American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges. For applicable lounge locations please visit www.britishairways.com and www.aa.com.
To access a partner airline lounge, simply present your Qantas Club card or Platinum or Gold Frequent Flyer card at check-in and again with your boarding pass at the lounge reception. You may also invite a guest. Note: both you and your guest must be travelling together and have onward travel that day on a flight marketed and operated by the partner airline whose lounge you wish to visit.***
Access to Partner Airline Lounges
However according to BA's web site, there aren't any more "Executive Club Lounges" in which case Qantas can be considered is in breach of false advertising.

Globaliser Dec 2, 2011 8:27 am

Originally Posted by xintraveller (Post 17553245)
However according to BA's web site, there aren't any more "Executive Club Lounges" in which case Qantas can be considered is in breach of false advertising.

This page continues to list a number of Executive Club lounges. Your point wouldn't even be factually accurate unless all of these lounges are no longer "Executive Club lounges", but this thread suggests that spme still are: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-database.html.

And even if your point were factually accurate, the withdrawal of all Executive Club lounges wouldn't change the same fundamental point that has already been made many times here, which is that there has been a sea change in practice effected by reliance on the precise wording. It really doesn't add anything.

I think we all simply have to wait the outcome of the negotiations that appear to be taking place.

ajca Dec 5, 2011 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by xintraveller (Post 17548089)

QC will lose most of their members that frequently travelling to Europe, if they don't sort this out.

Wouldn't most QF customers that "frequently travelling" to Europe have at least Gold status?

Dave Noble Dec 5, 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by ajca (Post 17573839)
Wouldn't most QF customers that "frequently travelling" to Europe have at least Gold status?

Depends on how you class frequently; SYD-LHR earns 60 points in discount economy so needs 5 trips a year to requalify; ( those doing that might be better served flying on BA flight numbers and crediting to AA and getting OW Emerald status anyway )

Tyrolean Dec 6, 2011 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 17574026)
Depends on how you class frequently; SYD-LHR earns 60 points in discount economy so needs 5 trips a year to requalify; ( those doing that might be better served flying on BA flight numbers and crediting to AA and getting OW Emerald status anyway )

Don't forget the 4 Segment rule!

thadocta Dec 6, 2011 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 17575003)

Not really enforced by AA (although that could always change).

Dave

Dave Noble Dec 6, 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 17575003)

If AA decide to enforce that in the future, then I wont

As it stands at the moment, someone travelling in economy between UK and AU could do a lot better collecting to AA; 2.5 simple roundtrips and will be sapphire status.

Tyrolean Dec 7, 2011 5:43 am

Originally Posted by thadocta (Post 17575211)
Not really enforced by AA (although that could always change).

Dave

QF did not enforce it for quit a long time. Luckily, I had a trip on QF every year since then. As I travel mostly in J, QF is the much better program status wise for me. Will review when I reach LTG.