Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

RedQ firms as name for Qantas's new premium airline in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RedQ firms as name for Qantas's new premium airline in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
As long as it's safe and gets me from A-B (and even C), l couldn't give a hoots about the name. I'm sure that some people will, get a life.
I don't think anyone really does... but it goes to the heart of the management making the decision if they were to choose a name like this that could be deemed offensive.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I don't think anyone really does... but it goes to the heart of the management making the decision if they were to choose a name like this that could be deemed offensive.
Some of the comments from that article;

What a ridiculous name. Horrible. Meaning nothing, could be anything, bound for failure.
DanSydney | Sydney - September 13, 2011, 7:29AM
Despite all their recent dramas, there is still so much brand equity in the Qantas logo..
Keep it simple, paint it black and call it Qantas Black or Qantas Executive. It's not rocket science.. Red Q.. what gives???
Smiths - September 13, 2011, 9:05AM
Seeing as it is aimed at Asia (read in large part China) how about ... Little Red Q...
seriously though - Red and China.. hmmm apart from that - what a god awful meaningless name.. wow red for the Qantas colour and Q for Qantas... genius...
Foxxster - September 13, 2011, 8:42AM
Red Q? I'd expect that to be the name of a supermarket chain, not an airline!
Nincompoop | Sydney - September 13, 2011, 9:43AM
I'm sure there are more....

Having said that, l just read a few more comments and gave up. What a bunch of whingers.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thadocta
Is it April 1 already?
me thinks this is just a staged marketed/PR step to maintain interest in the new airline. also an attempt to prevent name domain speculators taking what the real name might be.
Remember what was said at the time.

QF press release:-
- The Qantas Group will invest in a new premium airline based in Asia, building on Qantas expertise but with a new name, new aircraft and a new look and feel. The location for the new carrier is being finalised and will be announced at a later date.
Alan Joyce speech:-
Today I can confirm that Qantas intends to invest in a new premium airline based in Asia.

This joint venture airline will have a new name, a new brand, new aircraft and an exciting new look and feel.
"RedQ" doesn't seem to fit this.

But, hey, how else could QF get so many people all around the world to do so much quick research for them - and publish it freely on the internet - on the pitfalls of a proposed name?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
SQ is naming their new LCC "Scoot", per the same rumours
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Do they really want to call an airline "wreck"? Which is how RedQ sounds if you read it as one word with a soft "q" at the end.

Or "wreck you" with a strong "q" at the end. Again... really?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
qantas cannot afford to have it's final name compromised by people buying the domain name etc... so probably leaked this onto throw people off scent.
The domain redq.com and redq.com.au have both been recently registered by a Sydney based legal firm...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:56 am

Possible hint for the first new destination of the Asian Qantas?

Found this link by accident.....but I'm probably reading too much into it.

http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/info/201109/0901

China Eastern will be launching a 4th codeshare service, which provides the best connection onto the QF hub in Singapore, and it is operated by an A320.

Op Flt Mkt Flt Dep time Arr time DOW Aircraft
MU565 QF4067 PVG 1300 SIN 1830 Daily A320
MU566 QF4068 SIN 2355 PVG 0500+ Daily A320
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:35 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
MU566 QF4068 SIN 2355 PVG 0500+ Daily A320
Those timings look most (un)attractive
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by og
Those timings look most (un)attractive
Unattractive into Shanghai, but pretty good for connections from Australia on QF.

(I know this doesn't make the overall journey attractive, but for QF it looks good. It would be better if there was a through service instead, but we all know that isn't going to happen!)

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Could not find the right thread nor did not think is approriate to start a new one.
Did anyone read the AFR article yesterday that stated that Singapore's Economic Development Board has approved to establish a premium subsidary carrier in Singapore? Evidently it still requires Cabinet approval.

As AFR is a paid subcription service here is the only open information available.
Qantas flies into row with regional rival
Qantas’ bid to establish a premium subsidiary in Asia has provoked a fierce backlash from .Singapore Airlines, after it received clearance for its proposal from .Singapore’s Economic Development Board.
afr.com
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
There's also a thread on pprune about it: link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.