Wiki Posts
Search

snobby question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
snobby question

So we booked flights SYD-JFK in J for December in the J sale earlier this year for me, mrs assassin and the kids (first and probably last time I pay for J for me or the family, I think I was traumatised from my last Y flight at the time).

I am wondering whether to request kids meals for the children (who are 9 and 6) or stick with the regular offering. Has anyone flown qantas J with children? Would appreciate your advice!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I would go ahead and book the special meals. just makes it more fun for the children.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Real meal for 9YO and Child's meal for 6YO perhaps?

... on second thoughts, maybe not as they may decide they'd prefer the other's
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For the 6 year old I would suggest booking it; for the 9 year old , perhaps at least ask the child whether he/she would like to have the special meal .
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
well I dunno... having a look at a recent biz class menu ex Australia there was:

bowl of duck soup with ginger
vegetable tagine with harissa
snapper with mushroom soy sauce
chicken with preserved lemon date and almond

followed by cheese, dessert and fruit.

Maybe that will help the 9 year old decide if they prefer that or a special meal
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: ex AN*G(Diamond), QF SG, VA Plat
We booked a child meal for our son from age 2 to 5 (all J class). Once he turned 6, we stopped bothering, and just ordered off the menu. We would generally ensure that we ordered different things, so that there was at least some variety. No QF experience though, this has been on TG, SQ, LH, LX, AC, NZ, OS and SK - never had a problem with food.

Originally Posted by theassassin
So we booked flights SYD-JFK in J for December in the J sale earlier this year for me, mrs assassin and the kids (first and probably last time I pay for J for me or the family, I think I was traumatised from my last Y flight at the time).

I am wondering whether to request kids meals for the children (who are 9 and 6) or stick with the regular offering. Has anyone flown qantas J with children? Would appreciate your advice!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
Serfty - as you say, ordering a special kids meal for one but not the other is a recipe for a megatantrum, regardless of what food actually turns up!

Thanks to all for your helpful responses.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
We are flying to Australia for Christmas on Qantas (in J if it matters) and tried to book a child's meal for our 2yo son on the 'manage my booking' page. However, I got 'child's meal not available' when I tried to make the request. Has anyone else encountered this? Are child's meals in fact available? The flights are QF 10 / 9 (LHR-MEL) if that matters.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
They should be available; see this page: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lobal/en#jump1

I'd be calling ...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by AllyB
We are flying to Australia for Christmas on Qantas (in J if it matters) and tried to book a child's meal for our 2yo son on the 'manage my booking' page. However, I got 'child's meal not available' when I tried to make the request. Has anyone else encountered this? Are child's meals in fact available? The flights are QF 10 / 9 (LHR-MEL) if that matters.
Many thanks in advance.
You need to call or get your travel agent to request it.
For some reason whenever I book an international premium fligth I need to put in my special meal request as it shows not available. QF insists it is on their website and profile but for me it only allows domestic.
I have had no trouble with domestic special meals.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum/Oneworld Emerald, Qantas Lifetime Gold
Thanks for your advice -- I will call up and sort it out.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: QF WP - LTG, VA Plat, HH D, IHG Plat, Rydges Black, GHA Black
Are the kids meals in J different to the Y kids meals?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well I dunno... having a look at a recent biz class menu ex Australia there was:

bowl of duck soup with ginger
vegetable tagine with harissa
snapper with mushroom soy sauce
chicken with preserved lemon date and almond
That menu has gone - New one started 1st September

I would order the child's meal for both of them. The tray has lots of things more suitable for them.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
As someone that has been eating the Perry "food" for quite some time do you think I could order a child's meal for myself? Does QF offer any alternatives such as a decent low sodium meal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.