Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetconnect's last remaining 737 classic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF FF, Velocity, NZ FF

Flew AKL-MEL on Thursday and was surprised to see ZK-JTQ at the gate. She's been doing AKL-BNE-AKL runs (primarily) for the last few weeks. As a side note I was told that ZK-JTP has been retired (some time in the last week or so) and that ZK-JTQ will be the final 737-400 and 737 "Classic" in the Jetconnect fleet.

That aside my flight to MEL was interesting in that this is the first trip I've had on JTQ for about a year and it is in a nasty shape I must admit. Looking worn and tired to boot. JTP on the other hand didn't look too bad last time I went in her earlier this year.

I'll be slightly nostalgic at the departure of the 737-400 from Jetconnect but not as nostalgic as I was about the 300s (for some odd reason).

So there you have it - Jetconnect are set to be all 737-800 in the next month.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by saabflyer
Flew AKL-MEL on Thursday and was surprised to see ZK-JTQ at the gate. She's been doing AKL-BNE-AKL runs (primarily) for the last few weeks. As a side note I was told that ZK-JTP has been retired (some time in the last week or so) and that ZK-JTQ will be the final 737-400 and 737 "Classic" in the Jetconnect fleet.

That aside my flight to MEL was interesting in that this is the first trip I've had on JTQ for about a year and it is in a nasty shape I must admit. Looking worn and tired to boot. JTP on the other hand didn't look too bad last time I went in her earlier this year.

I'll be slightly nostalgic at the departure of the 737-400 from Jetconnect but not as nostalgic as I was about the 300s (for some odd reason).

I loved ZK-JTP, is it parked at AKL by the Hangers there?
I was excited when Jetconnect was expanding with the additions of the 400's and the cabin crew, I remember Eleanor (a wonder CSM) was proud that they had a decent Business Class cabin. I fondly remember the first two rows of economy being "reserved" for "premium" passengers with better legroom and portable DVD players or when fying domestic I sometimes had the J cabin with myself or maybe two other passengers and it felt like I was on a private jet, sometimes including a deadheading pilot.
Sure they are dated and do not have the better facilities of the 800's but I took so many Jetconnect flights on these aircraft I miss them so uch, especially domestically, I do not like JQ.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I was excited when Jetconnect was expanding with the additions of the 400's and the cabin crew, I remember Eleanor (a wonder CSM) was proud that they had a decent Business Class cabin. I fondly remember the first two rows of economy being "reserved" for "premium" passengers with better legroom and portable DVD players or when fying domestic I sometimes had the J cabin with myself or maybe two other passengers and it felt like I was on a private jet, sometimes including a deadheading pilot.
Sure they are dated and do not have the better facilities of the 800's but I took so many Jetconnect flights on these aircraft I miss them so uch, especially domestically, I do not like JQ.
ditto
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:30 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Trends over time. Wasn't just a few years ago that there were moans about QF's 762s being like a worn out dump with wings - now the 763s receive the same comments.

I also fondly remember the F27s that I regularly traveled on SYD-IVR. It was exciting in wet weather on the IVR dirt runway where mud was thrown up from the wheels on landing. Then the F50s came on the scene and the romantic love for the F27s disappeared after 30 min of flying and getting over FL 150 for the first time on that route. Times change ....
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton

so no longer have to ask at check-in for the registration. If it didn't begin ZK-ZQ it was off to Whitcoulls to buy a book
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by reubee
so no longer have to ask at check-in for the registration. If it didn't begin ZK-ZQ it was off to Whitcoulls to buy a book
^
Loved those front two (three?) rows of Y for the MEL-WLG commute.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Bizarrely enough I never thought to look over at the Airwork hangar. Presumably that's where she's parked. As I flew out of int I didn't go near the domestic area (and thus the airwork/ANZES hangar).
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I used to love the 400s on domestic sectors - lovely business cabin with a handful of people - I agree totally with BlackCloud. I'm still miffed by QF's decision to leave domestic and always will be. Jetstar is not even anywhere near a fair replacement for QF. Totally disgusting.

on another note ZK-JTP was my fave 400...JTQ I flew the most in and JTR was a pain in the arse (for MX) :-P
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
+1 to Blackcloud's comments, especially regarding Eleanor.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I saw ZK-JTQ still in service on Friday, leaveing Auckland around 3ish.

I believe ZK-ZQH was due to drop into AKL last night on its way to MEL, ready to enter service this week.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:06 am
Original Poster

From what I understand JTQ is leaving service on Tuesday 23 August after completing QF125 BNE-AKL. Of course chances are it will maybe fly for another few weeks in and out of service to cover for any teething troubles with ZK-ZQH or any other 73H mishaps but as I understand it JTQ is very close to running out of cycles.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:31 am
Original Poster

JTQ will be operating AKL-BNE-AKL-BNE-AKL on Friday 9th September after being parked up for over a week at that point.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
While I appreciated the AVOD on the JC 73H those seats would be the most uncomfortable J seat I have ever experienced and sadly are a huge step backwards from the old seats on the soon to be retired 734 fleet. Got me thinking that DY Y+ or NZ Works+ would have to be a better option.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:16 am

JTQ will be operating AKL-BNE-AKL-BNE-AKL on Friday 9th September after being parked up for over a week at that point.
Any idea why? I'll be on QF124 on Friday - was meant to fly Thursday but it's been sold out/cancelled(?) for the last month or so.

Last edited by ps107; Sep 6, 2011 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Brings back memories of the excellent 'farewell to QANTAS Do' which was a mad-cap AKL-WLG-AKL-CHC-AKL. Some of joined at WLG, and by the time we'd engaged socially in the lounges at WLG, AKL and CHC - it was a somewhat 'bubbly' flight CHC-AKL !!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...do-9-june.html

Cheers, TK

PS - bummer about 73H J seats sounding hard and uncomfortable, as I have an award in J AKL-SYD-SIN. The 332 was changed to 73H.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.