QF12 LAX-SYD Plane Change?

Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
QF12 LAX-SYD Plane Change?

Hey all -

Scheduled to fly out tomorrow (8/19) to Sydney. This route is usually done by an A380 (heck, I can see them from my balcony I'm so close to the airport) and I had reserved my seat (61D, sadly yes, in economy). Went to check in tonight and my seat was moved to 48D. Thought it was odd, checked seatguru, and no 48D. Hit me that must be a 747. Sure enough, looks like that's the case.

Anybody know how often this happens? You reckon it's a b/c the load didn't make sense for a380 or equipment issue? Would have liked the power adapter and slightly better VOD on A380 (as well as the experience) but will hope I get it on the flight back.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
A380 went tech in LAX and needs an engine change, Hence the 747 sub.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Another A380 engine change ?

Interesting
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by AndDee
Another A380 engine change ?

Interesting
Not really, it is unrelated to the earlier defects. Unscheduled engine changes do happen, though RR seems to be getting a lot of them lately. So is QF, since they outsourced much of the engine maintenance work ... that may be the more interesting trend.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Not really, it is unrelated to the earlier defects. Unscheduled engine changes do happen, though RR seems to be getting a lot of them lately. So is QF, since they outsourced much of the engine maintenance work ... that may be the more interesting trend.
I was on the same flight last night, and asked the csm who i recognised from wednesdays flight on the 11 which was also subbed. He said there was an oil leak from the engine and they could not fix it in situ hence the substitution. The a380 is back on todays flight. The 747 they used was kangaroo config which made for lots of happy op-ups to F due to the much lower number of business class seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.