Transit time at DFW QF7

Old Jul 6, 11, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
Transit time at DFW QF7

Will be doing QF7 into Dallas next month and need to quickly transit to Los Angeles for an evening commitment.

QF7 gets into DFW at 13:50. How much MINIMUM time should I allow for transit/baggage collection/immigration and baggage recheck? I will be fly AA to LAX.

Am flying PY and am QC Silver. Do I get any priority baggage or immigration fast tracking at all?

Would 60 or 90 minutes be ample time to transit and comfortably get onto the AA LAX flight?

Heavens forbid, if I do miss the LAX flight, will AA bump me to the next flight free of charge? I am booking the AA sector using an internet fare so it's a separate PNR from the QF ticket.
Old Jul 6, 11, 7:14 am

There is no immigration fast track. As for priority baggage tags, if the immigration lines are moderate to long your bags will beat you to the carousel. If the immigration lines are short then you will have plenty of time to connect even after waiting for your bags. The security lines are typically short.

With DFW the immigration lines vary really widely. Dallas has quite a few flights from Mexico and if several of those flights arrive or 2-3 planes from Europe arrive just prior to yours then you will need more than 90 minutes. If the hall is relatively empty then you could literally make a connection in 20 minutes total.

If your connection is on the same ticket as your inbound flight then, yes, AA will rebook you on a later flight if you miss it.
Old Jul 6, 11, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Unfortunatly, QF7 arrives during one of the peak times.

Going by these AA forum threads, I'd be allowing at least 2 hours. (FWIW, I have a connection (different Bookings) coming up late this month and am allowing 4½ hours

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-q-merged.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post14005295

Note that AA boarding generally commences from 30-35 minutes before the scheduled flight departure time.

For a statistical analysis of processing times check this out:

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/
Old Jul 6, 11, 9:10 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
I may be wrong.
For you, as a QF Elite, silver, if the flight comes in late I would hope that QF would assist with connections, if they have been asked to link the pnr's.

Phone QF & ask them to link your tickets.
When you check in, ask them to link your tickets.
When you check in, ask them to tag your bags to your final destination.
Of course you have to collect, clear, & re-drop.

It's always good nowadays (in the past 4 or so months), to have extra time up your sleeve.

Be pleasant, ask nicely. Dress well. Be the person you'd want to help out...

Also be aware that you may have been the one to have stuffed up with tight connections. Again, be pleasant, ask nicely ...

Might be worthwhile changing your AA connection to F, if at all possible. If not, be pleasant, .......
Old Jul 6, 11, 5:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I know we are Fters, but doing QF7 to DFW then going to LAX for a late evening engagement really has me wondering why you just do not fly into LAX directly from Australia?
Old Jul 6, 11, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I know we are Fters, but doing QF7 to DFW then going to LAX for a late evening engagement really has me wondering why you just do not fly into LAX directly from Australia?
Maybe the really good (for ex Oz) intro fares¹ made it cost effective². I'm flying later this month on one (but not back to LAX, although I may have considered it).

¹ r/t: $998 Economy, $2598 PE

² Why fly direct when you can connect!

Last edited by serfty; Jul 7, 11 at 6:35 pm
Old Jul 6, 11, 8:47 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
My one experience with DFW immigration/customs was sooooo bad that I have avoided arriving internationally through DFW ever since. I'm sure it is fine on average, but if you land behind a couple of other planes then it is far worse than LAX or any other port of entry. AA does have frequent DFW-LAX flights, so missing one is not catastrophic, but 2 hours would be wise for MCT.
Old Jul 7, 11, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Maybe the really good (for ex Oz) intro fares¹ made it cost effective². I'm flying later this month on one (but not back to LAX, although I may have considered it).

¹ r/t: $998 Economy, $2598 PE

² What fly direct when you can connect!
Yeah I got a really good PY fare $2598 to Dallas. It was only after booking it the evening commitment in Los Angeles for the same evening came about. Otherwise I would have booked to travel direct to LA.

If I book the AA flights over the internet, can QF link the two PRNs so they become part of the same booking???
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:06 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
...If I book the AA flights over the internet, can QF link the two PRNs so they become part of the same booking???
Yes they can, but it will still be separate tickets, so the missed connection is your responsiblity and not QF's. This means AA's "flat tire" policy applies, as you will be late for the origin sector (this affects your standby priority, which shouldn't matter most of the time as the DFW-LAX flights are not sold out most days). But it is a risk, and you won't be accomodated before status pax on standby (whereas on same ticket irrop you would have priority over them).
Old Jul 7, 11, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
My one experience with DFW immigration/customs was sooooo bad that I have avoided arriving internationally through DFW ever since. I'm sure it is fine on average, but if you land behind a couple of other planes then it is far worse than LAX or any other port of entry. AA does have frequent DFW-LAX flights, so missing one is not catastrophic, but 2 hours would be wise for MCT.
It can get bad at DFW arrivals, I agree, but I've only seen it really bad once or twice. LAX on the other hand is really bad more than 50% of the time for me if I land during the middle of the day or in the early evening. Good thing about the QF LAX flights is that they arrive quite early and the lines are usually modest.

DFW is not worse than any other port of entry. That's just not a true statement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: