Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
AA doesn't even do that with their Top Elites....
Actually, AA doesn't do this for EXP and below, but does do this for their top elites (CIP and above). But those are unearned or opaque statuses and aren't given based on miles flown. Their only real benefit is getting a private agent and getting top priority on all standby lists (even above RI pax). I've heard that QF does this for CL at least sometimes (maybe on a case by case basis), maybe it will be a super-WP benefit.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
Proving the point that WP doesn't get as much as it should ... all WPs should have been accomodated first, if WP status was what mattered. Lots of reasons to travel with varying criticality, and no particular reason to think that making a connecting flight is more important than arriving at the destination If WP status mattered, then WP time would be worth more than non-WP time
Not going to knock WP perks, as we should be platinum after an Aone4 we are planning for next year. However it does seem a teensy bit selfish to expect people with international connections to be totally disrupted vs someone going CBR SYD. Although do agree if you were flying to a child's wedding in Sydney, or a make or break business meeting, then I could see the point. No easy solution - maybe not flying into birds would help.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by flying mermaid
Not going to knock WP perks, as we should be platinum after an Aone4 we are planning for next year. However it does seem a teensy bit selfish to expect people with international connections to be totally disrupted vs someone going CBR SYD. Although do agree if you were flying to a child's wedding in Sydney, or a make or break business meeting, then I could see the point. No easy solution - maybe not flying into birds would help.
you would hope if it was a child's wedding or make or break meeting that you would be on an earlier flight or the day before!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by theassassin
We had some friends on the flight who said it didn't complete boarding until around 4pm. My wife and kids were at the airport at 1.10pm so there was no operational reason to have closed the flight before then.

My guess is that air pacific had oversold the flight and just closed it once it was full.
Did the SMS say that you could check in later than usual?

If not, manpower scheduling and other constraints meant that check-in would close at the normal time (no extended check-in having been communicated to passengers), notwithstanding the delay.

Unless you are told you can check-in later than normal, check-in times should always be assumed to be based on the scheduled time of departure, and to close at the originally-published time.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Unless you are told you can check-in later than normal, check-in times should always be assumed to be based on the scheduled time of departure, and to close at the originally-published time.
All the Qantas information pertaining to check-in times state check-in closes [x] number of minutes before departure time.

Other sections of the website, relating to SMS flight updates use the phrase 'scheduled departure time' and 'revised departure time'.

If QF had meant check-in to close at [x] minutes before scheduled depature time they would have used those words in the check-in section. They did not, and by their omission it is explicit that check-in closes [x] minutes before actual departure time (for known delays).

Air Pacific is handled by Qantas in Australia IIRC? Someone could have opened the flight and sent a bag down to be loaded. It's really not that hard. I suspect too that the flight may have been oversold and conveniently 'closed'.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
If not, manpower scheduling and other constraints meant that check-in would close at the normal time (no extended check-in having been communicated to passengers), notwithstanding the delay.
It is totally unreasonable to expect a passenger to assume this.

Also, it's the airline's delay. They have to ensure all other manpower (refuelers, gate staff, etc) will be around for the later time, so they should ensure that check-in staff are too. (On most airlines with few flights, the check-in staff are the gate staff, so it shouldn't even be an issue.)

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If QF had meant check-in to close at [x] minutes before scheduled depature time they would have used those words in the check-in section. They did not, and by their omission it is explicit that check-in closes [x] minutes before actual departure time (for known delays).
Agreed.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kremmen
It is totally unreasonable to expect a passenger to assume this.
As I say, I have grown up assuming this because I have been told it so many times by different airlines. I agree that if QF means this too, it should say so explicitly.

But if passenger demands make difficult consequences for airlines when they offer a service like SMS updates, it doesn't take a genius to work out where it could be heading.
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Also, it's the airline's delay. They have to ensure all other manpower (refuelers, gate staff, etc) will be around for the later time, so they should ensure that check-in staff are too.
And guess why flights sometimes go completely pear-shaped when they are delayed? Often, manpower scheduling and availability means that there isn't enough capacity to deal with a delayed flight, because it's planned round the normal schedule. Yes, airlines should have plans, but you can't plan for everything; sometimes it just has to be left to go pear-shaped and recovered afterwards. That's life in an industry where the passenger wants (and usually gets) the moon on a stick at a very low price.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Air Pacific is handled by Qantas in Australia IIRC? Someone could have opened the flight and sent a bag down to be loaded. It's really not that hard. I suspect too that the flight may have been oversold and conveniently 'closed'.
Qantas does handle the flights for Air Pacific as it does a number of other international airlines that operate into Australia, but it also has to follow the procedures of those airlines, which will often be different to those of Qantas.

Even though handled by Qantas, each airline usually has at least 1 employee from that airline to manage airport operations. Qantas for example has a Qantas employed manager in every international port that overlook our handling agent in each city.

Any decision, regardless if your handled by Qantas, Menzies, Toll Dnata etc, is made by the operating airline and they get the final say.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
So I sent an email to Qantas a week ago complaining about this treatment. Waiting for a reply....
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:56 am

At the end of the day, if you can't arrive at the airport later then don't send the SMS!

What's the point?

"you're 3 hours delayed - enjoy reading woman's day at hungry jacks!"
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by lachster
At the end of the day, if you can't arrive at the airport later then don't send the SMS!

What's the point?
So that you can make arrangements at the other end.

"Gloria, can you phone the head office and tell them that my flight will be threre hours late, so I will be late for the meeting."

Dave
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by lachster

What's the point?

"you're 3 hours delayed - enjoy reading woman's day at hungry jacks!"
I'd rather know that my flight has been delayed rather than find out when I get to the airport! The more info the airline gives me the better...

The advantages have been mentioned by others: letting people on the other end know.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
I agree that it is indeed abusrd for passengers to check-in at the scheduled time despite informing us that the flight is delayed.

The official guideline on QF website is 'Check-in for international codeshare services at all Australian airports and non-Australian international airports. Contact the operating carrier for their recommended check-in times'

So a simple visit to air pacific website
As from Air pacific website, 'International travel, please check-in 3 hours prior to your flight. Check-in for International flights closes 1 hour prior to departure. Requirements for international baggage can be viewed here.'

Now my flight is pushed back 3 hours, check in 3 hours prior to my flight. OP did nothing wrong as OP checked in before the 1hour prior to departure.

I believe that all expenses incurred should be refunded and due compensation be made but whether you are succesful would really depends.

Good Luck
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by tycosiao
I agree that it is indeed abusrd for passengers to check-in at the scheduled time despite informing us that the flight is delayed.
Why? Having worked in that area, I know that it sometimes happens that delays can be recovered. A flight that may have been delayed by three hours can get away an hour late.

Should the delay actually be extended to three hours?

The official guideline on QF website is 'Check-in for international codeshare services at all Australian airports and non-Australian international airports. Contact the operating carrier for their recommended check-in times'

So a simple visit to air pacific website
As from Air pacific website, 'International travel, please check-in 3 hours prior to your flight. Check-in for International flights closes 1 hour prior to departure. Requirements for international baggage can be viewed here.'

Now my flight is pushed back 3 hours, check in 3 hours prior to my flight. OP did nothing wrong as OP checked in before the 1hour prior to departure.
NOBODY advised the OP that the check-in time had changed, only that the the anticipated departure time had changed.

The flight was still scheduled to depart at "whatever-time" with a delay, but the delay "may or may not be" recovered. Nobody advised the passenger that the check-in time had altered.

I believe that all expenses incurred should be refunded and due compensation be made but whether you are succesful would really depends.
If you believe that, then I have a nice bridge for sale, it goes between McMahons Pt and Milsons Pt, won't cost you much, only around $1000.

Good Luck
They will need it, if they follow your advice.

Dave
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Is it just me, or is there a theme emerging amongst many threads?

1) OP has a complaint against airline
2) Posts indicate complaint not valid, often citing T&C
3) More post arguing that OP has been wrongly done by and complaint is valid
4) More posts suggesting that the airline is doing everything right
5) ... and so on

What strikes me in so many cases is that the real answer is somewhere in between, it is often never black and white.

In this case I think the airline does have some fault - by not making it clear that checkin was still following original departure time, and they admitted such fauly by providing taxis etc home and moving OP to next days flight (LCC wouldn't do that), but as for claiming expenses, accom not used etc, I believe that's in the realm of "stuff happens". There are so many reasons why that could happen that its really just a risk taken when booking any non refundable accommodation. But hey, but why not write a quick complaint letter? Just expect a no answer, anything more is a bonus.

And as for delays disappearing, or being reduced substantially, in some circumstances yes, sure aircrafts can be subbed time can be made up etc. But if the point of departure is not a hub (and therefore does not have aircraft sitting around), the inbound aircraft left the point of origin very late, the turn around time is fairly short it is not unreasonable to assume, after receiving an SMS and checking the origin departure time that the flight is actually running late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.