Search

MSC IATA resolution 302 effect on QF

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
MSC IATA resolution 302 effect on QF

This probably merits a separate thread as it looks to be much more complex than at first glance.

From April 1, IATA's member carriers will adopt a new baggage allowances and charges policy for interline journeys proposed by the international body.

The new Baggage Rule Resolution 302, intended to standardise baggage policies for passengers flying multiple carriers, outlines that if the baggage provisions of the different carriers are not the same, the policies of the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) will apply. The MSC is defined as the first carrier crossing IATA Areas or Sub-areas. For travel within sub-areas, the policies of the carrier on the first international sector would apply. Baggage provision is defined as free baggage allowance and charges for excess baggage, as filed with ATPCO by each carrier. This specifically means any FF-based provisions don't apply (as they are never filed with ATPCO).

IATA stated that this move was necessary because "more and more airlines were defining their own baggage allowances and charges depending on the number of bags checked, class of travel, frequent flyer status and routing. This created confusion for passengers." The organisation also acknowledged that the new policy will "affect only a small proportion of travellers."

The results can be quaint; for example flying QF SYD-HKG and then CX HKG-LHR now results in CX baggage limits for the entire journey! Flying PEK-HKG on KA and then HKG-SIN on SQ would use the KA limit (first international flight, despite HKG being part of China).

U.S. Exception (US DOT Order 2009-9-20 <05Oct09>)(a) For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, the baggage provisions selected at the beginning of the itinerary shall apply throughout the itinerary, regardless of stopovers, and
(b) in the case of code-share flights that include a point in the United States, the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) shall be the Marketing Carrier.

Overall it is no change for QF baggage to US or to Europe on the kangaroo route (QF would be MSC), but a change via HKG (QF is never the MSC). Also no change within Asia/Australia as QF would be the MSC for such interlining (presuming QF is the first international carrier).
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Good grief. This will make it almost impossible for the mug punter out there to figure out what they can take on connecting long haul flights. If knowledgeable FT readers can't figure it out ( even if it is claimed that baggage rules are clearly shown on airline web sites) how can others? Oh the joy be a check in agent and trying to explain this to a passenger who cops a bill for that extra bag
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Baggage provision is defined as free baggage allowance and charges for excess baggage, as filed with ATPCO by each carrier. This specifically means any FF-based provisions don't apply (as they are never filed with ATPCO).
I think airlines are going to need to start filing such information as it will severely annoy their most frequent fliers.

Other than that, the idea is the allowance would be calculated and noted within the PNR, taking the onus away from the check-in agent. Certainly there are going to be some disgruntled passenger - they will be the ones who don't read/understand their e-ticket which will have the allowance noted.

More on "MSC" here:
  1. Baggage provisions are defined as free baggage allowance rules and baggage charges.
  2. For the purposes of baggage provisions selection, the following 4 step process should apply for interline journeys:
    1. Step 1: If the published baggage provisions among all participating carriers are the same; these provisions will apply.
    2. Step 2: Where the one or more published baggage provisions differs between participating carriers, apply any common provisions and where provisions differ, apply the published baggage provisions of the Most Significant Carrier (MSC)¹. In case of codeshare flights this will be the Operating Carrier, unless that carrier publishes a rule stipulating that it will be the Marketing Carrier).
    3. Step 3: If the MSC does not publish baggage provisions for the journey concerned, apply the published baggage provisions of the carrier accepting the baggage at check-in.
    4. Step 4: If the carrier accepting the baggage at check-in does not publish baggage provisions for the interline journey concerned, apply the published baggage provisions of each operating airline sector by sector.
¹ The Most Significant Carrier(MSC) defined as:
  1. For travel between two or more IATA areas, the carrier performing carriage on the first sector that crosses from one area to another. Exception: IATA Area 123 journeys only, the carrier providing carriage on the first sector that crosses between IATA Area 1 and 2.
  2. For travel between IATA sub-areas, the carrier performing carriage on the first sector that crosses from one sub-area to another.
  3. For travel within IATA sub-areas, the carrier performing carriage on the first international sector.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
U.S. Exception (US DOT Order 2009-9-20 <05Oct09>)(a) For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, the baggage provisions selected at the beginning of the itinerary shall apply throughout the itinerary, regardless of stopovers, and
(b) in the case of code-share flights that include a point in the United States, the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) shall be the Marketing Carrier.
Anyone have any idea what "baggage provisions selected at the beginning of the itinerary" means? Since the whole point of the MSC rule is that the passenger doesn't select anything, I assume it means you go by the first airline's rules for the whole journey. But wouldn't this create an anomaly depending on whether your first leg is an interline (and thus governed by MSC) or a simple domestic hop (and thus governed by whichever American carrier you happen to be flying with?)

So if I fly JFK-LAX-AKL on AA/QF then QF is the MSC and its rules govern the rest of my ticket. But if I fly JFK-LAX, stop over in LAX for a night and then fly on to AKL, then AA's rules wind up applying for the rest of my journey?

My head hurts.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:15 am
Original Member
Original Poster

This is a US DOT rule, which differs from IATA, and applies only to tickets that begin or end in the US (doesn't apply to transit in US if the begin/end is outside US, for example). It means that the baggage rules, in terms of free allowance and fees, is determined at the start of the ticket and applies to the entire journey -- even with stopovers. DOT regulations take precedence over IATA 302.

In your example, under IATA 302 the result is different than under DOT; so if you flew YYZ-LAX-AKL it would be under IATA 302 rules, but JFK-LAX-AKL would be on DOT rules -- even when flying AA for YYZ-LAX and JFK-LAX. A DOT benefit is that it is regardless of stopovers, so you get QF rules for all legs.

ATPCO sells a SOAP service that computes the baggage allowance, fees, etc. Presumably most airlines and GDS's are buying this; or implementing their own computation. In theory the baggage limits and fees will now be displayed to the pax as part of their reservation or on their e-ticket receipt, as well as enforced upon check-in. But it means trips on the same airlines, to slightly different cities, can have quite different baggage allowances and excess baggage fees. Bound to cause lots of confusion and disgruntlement. For some tickets (e.g. xONEx) the weight limit per piece will be a nightmare. The bottom line is that check-in agents have much less leeway if there is an interline involved in terms of baggage cost than they used to.

The real driver of this change is that some airlines are generating up to 20% of their revenue from auxiliary fees, including baggage fees, and debiting other airlines on interlines. Its a way to collect more money in the industry -- I've seen estimates of over $1 billion per year in extra revenue from IATA 302 enforcement.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: QF WP
Flying PEK-HKG on KA and then HKG-SIN on SQ would use the KA limit (first international flight, despite HKG being part of China).
This would actually use the SQ limit, since this is the first flight crossing sub-areas (for itinerary within a tariff area but crossing different sub-areas).

Only for flights travelling within a sub-area would they then use the first international flight carrier as the MSC.

A few airlines have published this new rule, such as ANA http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/asw_co.../iata_302.html which is partially amended from the original version from IATA, and Cathay Pacific http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ficant_carrier which goes all the way to listing examples in the different scenarios.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:48 pm

In your example, under IATA 302 the result is different than under DOT; so if you flew YYZ-LAX-AKL it would be under IATA 302 rules, but JFK-LAX-AKL would be on DOT rules -- even when flying AA for YYZ-LAX and JFK-LAX. A DOT benefit is that it is regardless of stopovers, so you get QF rules for all legs.
Just realised - but if I book the AA codeshare LAX-AKL then I go by AA rules for the rest of my ticket? I'd then be able to get 3 bags at (23 or 32 kgs, pending resolution of the discussion in the other thread), which either way would be an improvement for me over QF's 2 at 32.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Just realised - but if I book the AA codeshare LAX-AKL then I go by AA rules for the rest of my ticket? I'd then be able to get 3 bags at (23 or 32 kgs, pending resolution of the discussion in the other thread), which either way would be an improvement for me over QF's 2 at 32.
Not my reading of it. My reading is that the US rules only apply of you originate OR terminate your itinerary in the US. If you are merely transiting, then the IATA rules apply.

Dave
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
Not my reading of it. My reading is that the US rules only apply of you originate OR terminate your itinerary in the US. If you are merely transiting, then the IATA rules apply.

Dave
Yes, I'll be originating in JFK. So going JFK-LAX-AKL.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Yes, booking the AA codeshare LAX-AKL will get you the AA international (not domestic) baggage allowance, which is 3x32kg in J/F (vs. 3x23kg for AA domestic J/F). Good luck convincing the QF check-in agents at AKL of that (I'm sure they get lots of AA J pax and are up to speed on the most recent AA rule changes).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: LH Miles & More
who is the MSC on RTW flights?

I am confused big time with the MSC rules: I´ve got a RTW ticket (first class), starting & ending in Brazil (IATA Area 1).
My first flight is within IATA area 1, from Subregion Southamerica to Subregion USA with Continental, than from IATA Region 1 (USA) to Region 3 with Singapor Airlines. My ticket was issued by SQ. So who is the MSC: SQ (as they issued the ticket and make the first flight between two IATA areas) or CO (as they make the first flight within two SUBREGIONS)??
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I had a similar question where I'm flying in C LHR-SIN with BA and SIN-MEL with QF, and asked QF what my baggage allowance would be, and they said 32kg (whereas I thought BA would be the MSC giving 2×32kg).
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by bimbolh
I am confused big time with the MSC rules: I´ve got a RTW ticket (first class), starting & ending in Brazil (IATA Area 1).
My first flight is within IATA area 1, from Subregion Southamerica to Subregion USA with Continental, than from IATA Region 1 (USA) to Region 3 with Singapor Airlines. My ticket was issued by SQ. So who is the MSC: SQ (as they issued the ticket and make the first flight between two IATA areas) or CO (as they make the first flight within two SUBREGIONS)??
The MSC rule applies only if you are interlining baggage (or if you are departing from or terminating in the US, which you're not), not for point-to-point flights on the same ticket.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bimbolh
If MSC applies then CO is your MSC. However most RTW tickets have special baggage allowance, generally the US piece system for all the major RTW products. You would need to contact SQ for the fare rules; and doesn't CO have a special baggage restriction for Brazil (which might over-ride the normal baggage allowance). If this were a Oneworld RTW ticket, the allowance would be 3x32kg.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: LH Miles & More
Originally Posted by stifle
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I had a similar question where I'm flying in C LHR-SIN with BA and SIN-MEL with QF, and asked QF what my baggage allowance would be, and they said 32kg (whereas I thought BA would be the MSC giving 2×32kg).
Thank´s for the welcome! How did you checked out the question (I´m asking as here in Brazil it´s a bit difficult to get correct answers for such a problem).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.