Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 reconfiguration update

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by NM
The seats at 60HJK have a galley in front, so I would not automatically assume there is a "cut-out" for feet. But of course this needs to be confirmed by someone who has eye-balled those seats.
I sat in 60H on the reconfigured 747 SYD-DFW and there was no "cut-out" for the feet. I'm 5 foot 6 and was not able to completely stretch out my legs.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:42 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Warning for those booking QF107/108, they seem to be doing swaps on this to old config 747s. I am booked next week and from booking through to last night it was showing new config. This morning I got an ExpertFlyer seat alert that new seats opened up in the upper deck so I logged in to see that they had swapped in an old config

Good news is I was able to move to the upper deck. Bad news is with old config bird. This is for travel on QF108 LAX-SYD 16Apr. Seems to be hit or miss in April when I check the seatmap. Mostly new config but a few flights op'd by old interior birds (some with the F cabin). FWIW.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by dll
Warning for those booking QF107/108, they seem to be doing swaps on this to old config 747s. I am booked next week and from booking through to last night it was showing new config. This morning I got an ExpertFlyer seat alert that new seats opened up in the upper deck so I logged in to see that they had swapped in an old config

Good news is I was able to move to the upper deck. Bad news is with old config bird. This is for travel on QF108 LAX-SYD 16Apr. Seems to be hit or miss in April when I check the seatmap. Mostly new config but a few flights op'd by old interior birds (some with the F cabin). FWIW.
My flight QF15 (bne to lax) on April 16th has been changed to the old 747 too.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:28 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mole
My flight QF15 (bne to lax) on April 16th has been changed to the old 747 too.
They must be playing chess with the 747s in LAX. Your inbound BNE-LAX is old config and inbound SYD-LAX is new config that same day. That evening they turn and send old config (from BNE-LAX) to SYD, and send a new config bird to BNE. All decided today when seatmaps were updated, 4 days in advance. Interesting fleet planning!

Also interesting that we are flying onward on QF SYD-SIN some days later. Originally booked new config 747, later changed to old config 747, and recently to A333. Swap-o-rama.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:03 am

SYD - JNB on QF 63 usually with old or reconfigured 747?

Does anyone know if QF 63 to JNB is usually flown with old or new 747? Am considering of booking it next spring (April), but only if chances are high to get a reconfigured J Class for that long flight.

Does anyone have information when (/if) refurb off all 747 should be completed?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
All that are planned to be refurbed have been done.

There are now three configurations - 4 class with old F (3 Aircraft), 3 Class refurbed (6), 3 class with Skybed Mk 1 (2).

Check a seat map - if no row 4 then a refurb.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by dusber
Does anyone know if QF 63 to JNB is usually flown with old or new 747? Am considering of booking it next spring (April), but only if chances are high to get a reconfigured J Class for that long flight.

Does anyone have information when (/if) refurb off all 747 should be completed?
In my understanding, the longer range ERs are used for the DFW and SCL flights - leaving the standard shorter range versions for the rest (incl JNB). The ERs are the refurbed 6 aircraft. Therefore it seems about 50/50 that an old J config will be on the JNB run.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by og
In my understanding, the longer range ERs are used for the DFW and SCL flights - leaving the standard shorter range versions for the rest (incl JNB). The ERs are the refurbed 6 aircraft. Therefore it seems about 50/50 that an old J config will be on the JNB run.
Until 30 September.

DFW reverts to 6x weekly 380. So there will be more refurbed 744's flying around the network.

SIN is also taken off (or might already be off) so that leaves SCL, HKG, NRT, JNB and LAX with 744 service.

Originally Posted by serfty
There are now three configurations - 4 class with old F (3 Aircraft), 3 Class refurbed (6), 3 class with Skybed Mk 1 (2).
Not quite. There are 9 with 3 class refurbed not 6 being the 6x 744ER's and the -OJS, -OJT and -OJU 744s.

The 5 oddball aircraft (with old F or Skybed Mk1) are due for retirement by end of calendar year 2015.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
I flew to JNB 1 week ago and I'm due to fly out again on Oct 11th and both were/are (according to the seat maps) un-refurbished 747s.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: QF Gold
Am on QF 15 ex BNE 26.09. Usually prefer the upper deck but managed to reserve the single seat 5J. What are the chances that my flight gets switched to an old configuration 744 ? Hope they are slim as I am looking forward to having my single seat with no one next to me.

Cheers from Brisbane,

pswissoz
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by pswissoz
Am on QF 15 ex BNE 26.09. Usually prefer the upper deck but managed to reserve the single seat 5J. What are the chances that my flight gets switched to an old configuration 744 ? Hope they are slim as I am looking forward to having my single seat with no one next to me.

Cheers from Brisbane,

pswissoz
They usually won't swap it unless something somewhere goes tech. However, they have a total of 9 aircraft with this config so it's not really something I would worry about.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Lately they have confined the old config to JNB, NRT, HKG and SIN. On the LAX/JFK route you should be fine.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by madrooster
Lately they have confined the old config to JNB, NRT, HKG and SIN. On the LAX/JFK route you should be fine.
Lucky me I've got flights to JNB, NRT and HKG all in the next 3 months. It's like the old birds are following me...
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by madrooster
They use whatever 747 is available for those routes.

This is what 2 of the 744ERs have been doing for the past month:

VH-OEH SYD-JNB-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-BNE-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-SYD-SCL-SYD-LAX-BNE-LAX-JFK-LAX-BNE-LAX-SYD-NRT-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-NRT-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD

VH-OEI BNE-LAX-BNE-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-SCL-SYD-NRT-SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD-DFW-BNE-SYD-SCL-SYD-NRT-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-SCL-SYD-LAX-SYD-SCL-SYD-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD-JNB-SYD-NRT-SYD-SCL-SYD
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I was trying to find a seatmap for the YVR flights in January. Any guess what config this QF76 aircraft will be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.