Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by nonce

For me to switch back P1 will need to offer free valet parking or car transfers, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.......
How about a friendly hostie with some of that Ralph Fiennes treatment?

Old May 19, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by shillard
How about a friendly hostie with some of that Ralph Fiennes treatment?

only if she is attractive and one each, I am not interested in sharing...
Old May 19, 2011, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nonce
Dave, I think you are missing the point. First, let's imagine that it was actually possible to reach P1 by flying SYD-BNE on $120 red-e-deals. You would need 360 sectors to do this, or 180 return flights, or 1 flight a day for the entire year (minus 5 days to rest). Regardless of this minor detail your spend with QF will still be $43,200 a year. Are you saying that QF would be loosing money on this PAX over the whole year vs flying with that seat empty (given the probability of actually finding that many red-e-deals throughout the year, let alone one for the +1 as well)? If you +1 was with you on each flight that would be $86,400 a year to QF.
If someone is P1 , then there would no longer be any reason for that person to buy a $700 business class ticket to Brisbane. Encouraging the purchase of cheap fares is not a sensible business move imo. CLs are not a normal case; they can be those that themselves do little but have a lot of influence over spending

Also, the idea of offering free upgrades is a v bad idea imo and just leads to cabin devaluation ( other than mebe a cpl of oneway system upgrades a year ). Getting 3600 SCs is not that hard and have done it myself a couple of times due to having a cpl of US trips in a year and some domestic US travel
Old May 19, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by Austman
Yes but where is the notice for JQ StarClass/Business passengers?
If you have a booked ticket on JQ, then you'd still get the SCs/points per the conditions when you booked.

If you just have some vouchers, then the vouchers maintain the same dollar value. You just get a different set of benefits for your $500. This is no different to prices for flights that go up and down over time. If the price of the flight went up by $200, do you think Jetstar would need to give you 6 months notice of that? Not really.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
I think some of the suggestions made here about what P1 may offer are fanciful. QF won't be providing limousines and upgrades. Having a super-top tier doesn't mean free upgrades - just look at SQ and their PPS and Solitaire members. Many mention in the SQ forum that they have never received an upgrade.

I believe you will find that P1 offers many of the benefits offered by Lufthansa to its HON Circle members. Lufthansa has a similar revenue requiremment to the 3600 SC requirement of P1.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by og
+1. Keep that one a secret. I'm just finalising a trip to the EU on LH because their Biz fare is thousands less than QF. And since LH pays very well into the UA program, it'll get me over my UA status level again.
Sure this works vice versa. LH and QF even have quite good combined ticket fares... But for the same reason you get cheap LH tickets in Oz and I get cheap QF Tickets in Germany.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:56 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QF already do offer 'three complimentary Qantas Valet Parking or Chauffeured Transfer invitations++ or...' to WP with 2,400 SCs, so while it may be speculation, it's hardly fanciful.

With EK and EY offering limousine transfers for J and F pax, at almost half the cost, it may well be one of the new benefits.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Of course it is 600k status miles, not BIS miles. In theory one could get HON with less than 40k BIS miles if you just fly MUC-ZRH in J all the time.
MUC-ZRH-MXP is much cheaper...
Old May 19, 2011, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Definitely not a competitor. The opposite is true. QF and LH work quite well together, often exchanging ideas and offering a lot of joint fares.
True. LH removed the Any Time Access for SEN a bit earlier. But some "enhancements" are quite similar.
As QF is getting a HON-Tier I would love that LH will get a Lifetime-Tier.

The LH/QF fares are quite interesting.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:46 pm
Suspended

To throw in my tuppence worth:
  • As a WP, I don't see you've done anything to make the program any more attractive (whilst simultaneously devaluing my tier through addtional bonuses for lower ones)
  • Changes made to the loyalty bonus have also devalued this two-fold by both de-rewarding more frequent flyers and capping annual accrual of this benefit
  • No email to either me or the SO (also WP) informing us of these "enhancements", so your communications strategy stinks.
  • A big from this member.
Old May 19, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
To throw in my tuppence worth:
  • As a WP, I don't see you've done anything to make the program any more attractive (whilst simultaneously devaluing my tier through addtional bonuses for lower ones)
  • Changes made to the loyalty bonus have also devalued this two-fold by both de-rewarding more frequent flyers and capping annual accrual of this benefit
  • No email to either me or the SO (also WP) informing us of these "enhancements", so your communications strategy stinks.
  • A big from this member.
They may not have made it much more attractive to most platinum members but not taken much (if anything) away.

The loyalty bonus now pays out 8000 points per 500 SCs vs 5000 at 450 SCs. It is only those earning an avg of over 2880 SCs a year that are likely going to be worse off as Platinum members

Somone just attaining platinum (1400SCs) would be getting about 3 x 5000 a year but now gets 2 x 8000 so gets 16000 vs 15000

Somone just retaining platinum (1200SCs) would be getting about 2.3 x 5000 a year but now gets 2 x 8000 so gets 16000 vs 11500

Someone at the 2100 level ( old PG level) used to get about 4.7 x 5000 but now gets 4 x 8000 so gets 32000 vs 23500

Generally looks like a gain to me. There is a wilderness between 2880 avg a year to the 3600 mark where the old scheme would pay more and then does depend on what platinum one offers as to whether those at 3600 win

It does seem that QFF cannot win; there were complaints that there was nothing beyond the PG level at 2100 ( now 2400 ) level. Now that they have addressed this, there is complaints that this v small percentage of travellers are being officially recognised

It wasn't long ago that those who had no partner, gained no additional benefits post 1200; there is now the choice of benefits at 2400 which was a recent improvement. I do not recall Gold or Silver members getting any extras then.

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm
Old May 19, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It does seem that QFF cannot win; there were complaints that there was nothing beyond the PG level at 2100 ( now 2400 ) level. Now that they have addressed this, there is complaints that this v small percentage of travellers are being officially recognised
Bingo Dave.
I am happy with the changes. Won't really effect me except when l drop back to Gold next 'year', l will get 75% bonus points, instead of the 50% before the changes. Win for me.
Sure, there will be a people few stuck in 'no-mans-lands', but l guess this happens with every FF program. You can't please everyone. Look at the huge gap between LH Sen and LH Hon (as an example). WP1 was set high for a reason l think, much like LH HON and is attainable, unlike QF CL.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I have no problem with the new PO level, I really do not care if there are higher status members than me, eg. I dropped from NZ GE to NZ G as there really was little benefit to me to retain GE. I would not think of engineering my travels to try to go for it, I have beetter things to do with my time and money.
However QF devalued WP with the last changes, massive increase in fares for JQ (which I need to use in order to maintain status) and still no JQ acknowledgement of QF status.
Many of the additional earnings are not related to Status levels, WP travel economy or plenty of Zone 1 Business Class which has no additional benefits.
Without any increase in the value proposition of WP over SG I can see some WP dropping to SG and taking competitors instead, not something I thought QF would want. I will retain WP for my next membership year, will get LTS but I do wonder about retaining WP for the year after, my last EK Business Class trip a few months ago left me unimpressed but will still monitor their sales.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Oh yes, Qantas FF are going to win alright. The forced breakage in point liability for possibly millions of Loyal but infrequent travellers on December 1st is really gunna assist their bottom line.

Last edited by serfty; May 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm
Old May 19, 2011, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Oh yes, Qantas FF are going to win alright. The forced breakage in point liability for possibly millions of Loyal but infrequent travellers on December 1st is really gunna assist their bottom line.
You are taking the comment that was related to the Platinum level and then suggesting that it was designed to apply to all

Those with No status and many with silver have lost out on the accrual of status bonuses. This is irrelevent to the suggestion that Platinum members are losing out on benefits which I was replying to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.