Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Old May 17, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No it isn't ; they are getting what they got before; there is no dilution of benefits, just seems to be a sulk that others are getting something . Just that a Gold member gets a higher status bonus doesn't mean that the platinum member has lost something.

Then again... The sky is falling in! The sky is falling in !
I don't disagree with you Dave, however you have to accept that WP is no longer the sweet spot of the programme. Even you said you yourself above.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I don't disagree with you Dave, however you have to accept that WP is no longer the sweet spot of the programme. Even you said you yourself above.
I have never used such terms, nor would I say such about the platinum level; I have oft suggested that Gold is the most useful tier. Lounge access et al at gold is good; I don't think that platinum is that much better than gold in benefits.

For the general domestic travel I do with QF, I don't think that the tea tastes any better in the business lounge and both lounges have the same poor fruit juices and post mix drinks.

I am not that ecstatic about the 1st lounge at sydney , though does at least have nice orange juice.

I will continue to credit the odd flight that is ineligable for mileage elsewhere , there is nothing that would be an encouragement to credit to QFF

Dave
Old May 17, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I have never used such terms, nor would I say such about the platinum level; I have oft suggested that Gold is the most useful tier. Lounge access et al at gold is good; I don't think that platinum is that much better than gold in benefits.

For the general domestic travel I do with QF, I don't think that the tea tastes any better in the business lounge and both lounges have the same poor fruit juices and post mix drinks.

I am not that ecstatic about the 1st lounge at sydney , though does at least have nice orange juice.

I will continue to credit the odd flight that is ineligable for mileage elsewhere , there is nothing that would be an encouragement to credit to QFF

Dave
Even more to agree on, although I quite like the QF F lounges perhaps a little more than you. It's not enough to keep me loyal to them though (well in the short term thanks to LTG, but that party for me comes to an end shortly).
Old May 17, 2011, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Red Roo
In relation to the status and cabin bonus changes only applying to Qantas and Jetstar,
Well this is completely useless to me. I mostly fly Star Class on JQ, and now that the Irishman has removed any mileage/SC credits from such flights, I won't be booking any more.

How can that be a benefit to their bottom line?
Old May 17, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Grace B
Well this is completely useless to me. I mostly fly Star Class on JQ, and now that the Irishman has removed any mileage/SC credits from such flights, I won't be booking any more.

I agree that the changes to JQ have gotten to me. You now need to pay a lot extra to get the same product that you used to get and is it worth it? IMO, no, compared to what other airlines can offer. So JQ will lose revenue from me, either flying other airlines or from me purchasing cheaper fares.
Is WP worth me retaining? I am wondering about it but unlike Dave Noble I am still estatic but the First Lounge in SYD and MEL.
For WP we seem to be the forgotten tier, but like an earlier poster maybe ego has something to do with it here.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Grace B

Can you get business class or premium economy on the same route for a similar fare. The fares haven't gone up, just the mile earning removed

I suspect there are a lot of people who are more concerned about fares than about ff miles. If they can still sell seats , or get ppl to pay more for the refundable fare, they can come out ahead

For HNL-SYD that Im doing next month, I would still fly starclass if I hadnt yet booked, just would be holding out booking until 100% sure that won't need to cancel due to the lack of flexibility on the new fares or would book the expensive fare and then cancel/rebook to lower fare if still available when plans firm.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
As a QF NB, the changes are making the program even less useful. Mainly the expiry of the SC for "bonus" on the yearly anniversary and the additional costs to fly creditable Starclass on JQ. The latter simply means I will never fly JQ SYD-HNL, which was a potential option as budgets are reduced.

Perhaps the status bonuses for OW partners, if increased, would be a positive. I won't hold my breathe. There are far better OW fares ex SIN than ex SYD.

Wandering away still

Fred
Old May 17, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I agree that the changes to JQ have gotten to me. You now need to pay a lot extra to get the same product that you used to get and is it worth it? IMO, no, compared to what other airlines can offer. So JQ will lose revenue from me, either flying other airlines or from me purchasing cheaper fares.
Is WP worth me retaining? I am wondering about it but unlike Dave Noble I am still estatic but the First Lounge in SYD and MEL.
For WP we seem to be the forgotten tier, but like an earlier poster maybe ego has something to do with it here.
All very true, and have you seen their loads in Starclass MEL-SIN-MEL?

This route will surely be for the chop, especially as there will be less pax booking in the future.

BTW, I have 4 upcoming bookings MEL-SIN-MEL in Starclass, and the seatmaps don't suggest fullish flights.
Old May 17, 2011, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I do find it hard to see the fascination that some have in it; the food, imo, is not as good as I get at the cafe where I go for breakfast;

not drinking, I don't care what alcohol can be obtained at 8 in the morning and I have never been to , nor wanted to go to , the spa
Old May 17, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: QF Plat, GC Diamond
No it isn't ; they are getting what they got before; there is no dilution of benefits, just seems to be a sulk that others are getting something . Just that a Gold member gets a higher status bonus doesn't mean that the platinum member has lost something.
The use of the term dilution of benefits comes from the term dilution of equity in a company.

If a company is comprised of 1,000,000 shares and you get promised 10% of the company - you get 100,000 shares.

Then the company enters into a second round of captial raising and lists another 1,000,000 shares.

You have lost nothing, you still have your 100,000 shares.

Do you still own 10% of the company - NO!

This is why anti-dilution clauses exist in contracts...

Old May 17, 2011, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Princi
The use of the term dilution of benefits comes from the term dilution of equity in a company.

If a company is comprised of 1,000,000 shares and you get promised 10% of the company - you get 100,000 shares.

Then the company enters into a second round of captial raising and lists another 1,000,000 shares.

You have lost nothing, you still have your 100,000 shares.

Do you still own 10% of the company - NO!

This is why anti-dilution clauses exist in contracts...

Not even close to a relevent analogy

Everyone has what they currently have; redemption rates have stayed unchanged and the earning for a platinum member will be unchanged allowing for redemptions at the same rates

A FF member is not a shareholder in the company and has never been given equity; the number of FF miles in circulation is not a static fixed value; QFF hasn't just gone and given gold and silver members a large stack of miles, just that in the future, the gold member will have a better earning than currently and earn enough to earn a discounted ticket sooner ( used to be free tickets before fuel fines )

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 17, 2011 at 5:49 am
Old May 17, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: QF Plat, GC Diamond
Not even close to a relevent analogy

Everyone has what they currently have; redemption rates have stayed unchanged and the earning for a platinum member will be unchanged allowing for redemptions at the same rates

A FF member is not a shareholder in the company; QFF hasn't just gone and given gold and silver members a large stack of miles, just that in the future, the gold member will have a better earning than currently
That's OK - just because you can't get your head around the concept doesn't mean that it is wrong.

A FF member may not be a shareholder in the company - but they are definately a stakeholder. Qantas can ill afford to lose Platinum tier customers.

I'm already LTG - and as a Gold member, I'm now better off! I never have to fly with Qantas again and will still receive pretty decent benefits.

Can't say the same for Qantas, though - how does that help their bottom line?

That's it - I'm not interested in a rant back and forth...
Old May 17, 2011, 6:12 am

That's OK - just because you can't get your head around the concept doesn't mean that it is wrong.
There is a big difference between not understanding and not agreeing

A FF member may not be a shareholder in the company - but they are definately a stakeholder. Qantas can ill afford to lose Platinum tier customers.
They are only customers; no more a stakeholder than someone who regularly shops at Coles is a stakeholder in Coles. If Qantas thought that members were actually stakeholders they would have got buy in on the changes with the members before implementing
Old May 17, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
they are only a 'partner' as QF are want to claim.
Changes to JQ (a partner airline) business earning should still have at least 30 days notice.

3.2 Qantas will use best efforts to advise Members of material changes to these Terms and Conditions and, where such changes will limit Benefits:
(b) where the Benefit is provided by a third party, where possible give Members at least 30 days' notice.
Change your FF scheme if you must Qantas, but at least be honest in your methods and stick to your own published rules. Rules that you endlessly make US stick to!
Old May 17, 2011, 11:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Virgin Australia is suddenly looking a lot more compelling, particularly since my new accredditation will see me travelling a LOT more.

Will have to wait until I see the new detail of the Velocity plan though, but already QFF is looking very unattractive.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.