Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 1:28 am
Company Representative - Qantas Airways
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Airways
Originally Posted by serfty
That's good; however the Airline Earning Table in the T&C's really needs to be edited to clarify this.

Cabin bonus for BA and AA appears to listed in the "Up to 17 May" column with no entries listed for post 17 may.
Acknowledge your comments - I have requested this be clarified in the Airline Earning Table.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:38 am

Would it be that hard to extend the changes in terms of class bonuses to cover oneworld partners too - Virgin Australia does not discriminate with Etihad, Malaysian Airlines, Air New Zealand etc. Lufthansa does not discriminate with their Star Alliance partners

Another missed opportunity that just complicates the Frequent Flyer Program.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
well well!!

As a recent downgradee from platinum to gold, and with no starclass bookings my initial assessment of these changes is quite positive with respect to the increased mileage earnings!

i had transferred most of my business to star alliance, but this now makes QF look more attractive. ^ (or am I missing something??)
Old May 17, 2011, 1:41 am

Programs: QF Plat, GC Diamond
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
No change for Plats, whereas Gold looks to be the sweet spot again. How are you "rewarding our truly Frequent Flyers" when you are giving more benefits to those who fly less? In effect you have diluted Plat benefits - yet another QFF "enhancement".
Exactly what I thought - platinum benefits have been diluted - the WP's won't take this lying down. I expect a lot of defections.

Platinum is the new Gold.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well well!!

As a recent downgradee from platinum to gold, and with no starclass bookings my initial assessment of these changes is quite positive with respect to the increased mileage earnings!

i had transferred most of my business to star alliance, but this now makes QF look more attractive. ^ (or am I missing something??)
A slight increase in miles earning is more than offset by the recent increased in the level of fuel fine scams. $644 in fuel fines on a r/t to UK is just insane
Old May 17, 2011, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Princi
Exactly what I thought - platinum benefits have been diluted - the WP's won't take this lying down. I expect a lot of defections.

+1.

So after listening to the forums and the general FF Community, QF has (imho) diluted the WP status once again.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:46 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
The change to loyalty bonus is overall a degradation.

It is based on a membership year's earn. i.e. Earn 490 SC's in you year and you get nothing. You "loyalty" count is reset to zero just like your 'status' SC counts expire and you'll need to earn another 500 SC's to get the 8K bonus the next year.
I think the idea behind it is that you get 4 lots of 8000 points each up to 2000 SCs and once you reach the next 500 SCs you have crossed the 2400 SC threshold which makes you eligible for another 50,000 points (or other benefits).
Old May 17, 2011, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Princi

Platinum has had no change to it. There is no dilution of Platinum benefits that I can see up to the 2000 SC mark; there is a new level above Platinum with unknown benefits and, it seems to me, sour grapes that Golds and Silvers are getting some gains
Old May 17, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think the idea behind it is that you get 4 lots of 8000 points each up to 2000 SCs and once you reach the next 500 SCs you have crossed the 2400 SC threshold which makes you eligible for another 50,000 points (or other benefits).
or Partner (anyone) Gold, not both...

odd changes when VA/DJ is about to serve up a premium domestic product... nothing like choice.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: QF Plat, GC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Platinum has had no change to it. There is no dilution of Platinum benefits that I can see up to the 2000 SC mark; there is a new level above Platinum with unknown benefits and, it seems to me, sour grapes that Golds and Silvers are getting some gains
If everyone else receives increased benefits except the Plats, then it is an effective dilution of their benefits...
Old May 17, 2011, 1:53 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
Would it be that hard to extend the changes in terms of class bonuses to cover oneworld partners too - Virgin Australia does not discriminate with Etihad, Malaysian Airlines, Air New Zealand etc. Lufthansa does not discriminate with their Star Alliance partners

Another missed opportunity that just complicates the Frequent Flyer Program.
Agree, my initial thought (how careless) was that the cabin bonus would apply to all carriers. Very unfortunate that this is not the case.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
well well!!

No, you have not missed anything, for a Gold all those changes are positive. More cabin bonus, more loyalty bonus. But the removal of Star Class SCs is very negative.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Poor Red Roo,

He is hassled for not making an appearance here and then when he does, he may feel like he wished he hadn't.

Don't get me wrong, I also read these Enhancements with a little concern too.

My three thoughts are -
The positives are a bit bland.

The email says "including a dedicated team to look after your travel needs every step of the way. ". To be honset I thought I had that already with Qantas Premium Desk. If WP loses Qantas Premium help desk, you wont need the internet to hear the screams from WP. In reality it is the biggest perk over gold in terms of functional benefit (1st class lounge has no real function).

I don't like moving from your top tier (we can exclude CL as that is invite only) to your second tier (ie Platinum instead of Platinum 1). Q has offended my ego. And while it may be called a loyalty system it is really an ego system.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
One interesting question would be: if Plat is now the second to top tier, might we expect a new Lifetime Plat? Say, 28,000 SCs?

That may be worth putting a few miles to QF again.

The Plat+ benefits will have to be pretty compelling to lure us back from CX Diamond.

But do applaud the final realisation by QFF that Plat hasn't been cutting it for a while, and that an awful lot of people reach 1,200 SCs quite easily.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:38 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The indication of dedicated travel reps to me indicates something similar to Starwood Ambassador or Hyatt Gold Passport's Private Line Agent, i.e. you have a dedicated contact at Qantas. Unlike hotel programs, where the dedicated rep can handle special requests, I don't see this program would apply to airline travel.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
This was a big change to the earning of QFF points on JQ.

The JQ Business Class earning was significantly downgraded and seem to limit QFF benefit unless a MAX option is paid for.

Should not at least 30 days notice of the change been given as per the Qantas FF T&Cs?

I'm sitting on JQ vouchers that now have been seriously degraded (for me).

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump2

3. Changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer

3.1 Subject to clause 3.2, Qantas reserves the right to make any changes (whether material or otherwise) to Qantas Frequent Flyer, the Terms and Conditions, the Awards or Benefits offered and the Fee Schedule, including:
a) changes to:
- the ways in which Points are earned and redeemed;
- Point earning and redeeming rates and Eligible Flights;

3.2 Qantas will use best efforts to advise Members of material changes to these Terms and Conditions and, where such changes will limit Benefits:
(a) where the Benefit is provided by Qantas, to give Members at least 6 months' notice;
(b) where the Benefit is provided by a third party, where possible give Members at least 30 days' notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.