Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I have noticed the changes to COS were only for Qantas and Jetstar and assumed that other partners will not change.
The Status Bonus is also up only for Qantas and Jetstar flights and I assumed that AA and BA would remain the same not that they would disappear like other OW parnters.
I missed the loyalty bonus to be within membership year and limitations eg 4 times to be a major degradation.
to me the changes to JQ are the biggest negative news eg. Discount Star Class and price increasee have turned me off JQ.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
QF are sounding more like a government budget: give with one hand , take away with the other and to add insult to injury dress it up like we are all winners. Very patronizing I have to say.

Old May 17, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: QFWP1+LTG,TG-Silver, SQ-Silver,HHonors-Diamond,Marriott Rewards-Silver,SPG
Originally Posted by serfty
The change to loyalty bonus is overall a degradation.

It is based on a membership year's earn. i.e. Earn 490 SC's in you year and you get nothing. You "loyalty" count is reset to zero just like your 'status' SC counts expire and you'll need to earn another 500 SC's to get the 8K bonus the next year.

There may be a loss of Cabin bonus earn on AA and BA flights; the revised airline earning table does not indicate any cabin bonus on these carriers for bookings made after 17th May (this may be an oversight).
Degradation not just from the new annual reset but also it seems that the maximum earn is now 4 x 8000 points = 32,000???
If this is correct then last years 40,000 point earn in loyalty bonus's becomes only 32,000 this year without the carry over

The new WP+ tier will need to have significant benefits to fix the leakage from WP(lite)....these new enhancements seem a little hollow!!!

Perhaps I have misread the email...or the second page(with the real benifits) is missing?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
No great significance to any of these changes...
... now Red Roo if that was the good news, what is the bad news?

Is this going to be an opportunity to slip thru a miles-devaluation?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:03 am
Company Representative - Qantas Airways
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Airways
Originally Posted by Leumas
When will full details be published?

Can we call Platinum Ones, as QF W1? QF P1?
We'll be in a position to announce more details on Platinum One later this year - the final proposition is still being worked on.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brettmcg
Hopefully the processing times for Jetstar earns to QFF account posting will also be "enhanced". No use earning the points if it takes over 2 months for the points and status credits to post!
Qantas Frequent Flyer and Jetstar did a bit of work on this back in February and it seems to have improved posting times significantly. You might find this discussion of interest.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:10 am

Programs: QFWP1+LTG,TG-Silver, SQ-Silver,HHonors-Diamond,Marriott Rewards-Silver,SPG
Originally Posted by Red Roo
We'll be in a position to announce more details on Platinum One later this year - the final proposition is still being worked on.
Dilute the exisiting benifits, whilst the final proposition is still being work on.....I think not!
Old May 17, 2011, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by igel
Hi Red Roo,
I booked and ticketed a couple of Jetstar Starclass fares prior to 17th May but travel will be in the 2nd half of this year with the last ticketed flight to be taken in Dec. Some of these fares were the promotional fares with now fall under the "Business" category rather than "Business Max". I am QF Gold, will I get QF lounge access when I take these flights and more importantly, will I get the status credits?
Cheers, Gerald
Whilst I'm not an official representative of Jetstar, I think you'll find this page on the Jetstar website of interest.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
Qa

Red Roo

Thumbs up to Qantas for making changes in response to feedback. ^

I am intrigued to see what the "improved upgrade experience" actually means.

I also received an email last week with a frequent flyer survey which I filled out and in which I complained about the last round of changes. Just wondering what the point of that was, if these new changes were already well in the works?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:17 am

Qantas Frequent Flyer and Jetstar did a bit of work on this back in February and it seems to have improved posting times significantly. You might find this discussion of interest.
Well it hasn't worked. I've now had several phonecalls with both QF and JQ regarding points from a StarClass flight on 29MAR10 which have still to be credited to my account. I also submitted a missing points claim, which I was later told had, for some unknown reason, been removed from the system. It should not take longer than 2 months for points to post from Freq. Flyer partner airline which QF own!

EDIT: The phone agents also mentioned that JQ points seemed to be taking extraordinarily long times to post recently.

Last edited by Brettmcg; May 17, 2011 at 12:26 am
Old May 17, 2011, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
There may be a loss of Cabin bonus earn on AA and BA flights; the revised airline earning table does not indicate any cabin bonus on these carriers for bookings made after 17th May (this may be an oversight).
AA/BA continue to have the cabin bonus, this is unchanged.

The new increased cabin bonuses from 17 May 2011 apply to Qantas and Jetstar.

Essentially today's announcements on changes to cabin/status bonuses are for Qantas and Jetstar Airlines only.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Sent: Tuesday 17 May 2011
To: Subject: Exciting news about your membership

Dear Mr ….

At Qantas Frequent Flyer, we are committed to the continued improvement of the program and to responding to the needs of our members as we work to enhance your experience.

The following exciting changes are aimed at reflecting member feedback, with extra benefits and privileges available when you fly and bringing you new ways to earn points.

Flight benefits and changes

Increased Cabin bonuses
From 17 May 2011, we are increasing Cabin bonuses to give you even more points when you fly Qantas: your Cabin bonus will increase from 10% to 25% in Premium Economy, from 25% to 50% in Business and from 50% to 100% in First when you fly Qantas (with a QF flight number on your ticket).

Platinum One - Exclusive extra benefits for our most frequent flyers
Many of our members earn more than triple the Platinum retain level of 1,200 Status credits a year, which equates to many hours in the air. When airports and our aircraft are your second home, we want to do even more to ensure your journey is as smooth as possible. We'll soon introduce extra benefits for members who earn over 3,600 Status credits within their membership year, including a dedicated team to look after your travel needs every step of the way.

An improved upgrade experience
In late 2011 we plan to roll out a smoother, more convenient points upgrade request and notification process, including SMS confirmation of upgrade requests (for eligible Qantas flights with a QF flight number).

Changes to the Loyalty bonus
From December 2011, you will earn a Loyalty bonus of 8,000 points for every 500 Status credits you earn within a single membership year - up to a maximum of four Loyalty bonuses per membership year. This will replace the current bonus of 5,000 points for every 450 Status credits. For details visit qantas.com/latestnews.

Changes to using points for surcharges, fees and taxes
Due to ongoing volatility in fuel prices, from 1 July 2011, when using points for surcharges, fees and taxes on eligible Australia and New Zealand Domestic Classic Award flights, the points required will increase from 3,000 to 4,500 points per segment.

New ways to earn points

Earn points and Status credits on new Jetstar fares
From 17 May 2011, you can be rewarded every time you travel on an eligible Jetstar flight, with the option to add points, Status credits and other benefits to your base fare for an additional cost. Members who select to add a Plus or Max bundle to their Starter or Business fare on Jetstar will earn points and Status credits. For details visit qantas.com/jetstar

Optus to join Qantas Frequent Flyer
Optus and Qantas have announced plans to create a loyalty alliance that will allow Qantas Frequent Flyer members to earn points across Optus Consumer and Small Business services. The planned alliance, further details of which will be released in the coming months as agreements are finalised, is set for launch later in 2011 and unites two of Australia's most recognised brands. To register your interest and to be informed of any further developments - click here

epiQure by Qantas Frequent Flyer: New wine and food community exclusive to members
Coming soon: Enjoy the finest of wines, recipes from Neil Perry and another way to earn points. Qantas will shortly be launching epiQure by Qantas Frequent Flyer an online community for members passionate about food and wine.

For further details please visit qantas.com/latestnews. Thanks for joining us on our journey.

Kind regards,

Sid Gokani
Head of Loyalty Operations

* Saving does not apply to points or cash required for surcharges, fees and taxes. For selected travel dates between 18 July and 16 September 2011. Other conditions apply.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Overall it is a negative impact for me , since I do have plans to use JQ Starclass and the cost of refundability ( key requirement ) has increased. The removal of Status Credits on starclass basic fares does make sense though sicne I have never thought it makes sense to have, what I would class, a premium economy product which credits and markets as business class . Earning 140 SCs for a $1250 HNL-SYD hardly seems logical to me. I would have thought a PE earning and charging would be more appropriate

Since I will drop back to gold ( since I only now use QF generally for domestic travel and use other carriers for international travel ) the 75% bonus as LTG will reduce the impact of the drop for those flights I cannot credit to AA

Upping COS bonus for PE to 25% , business to 50% and 1st to 100% makes a small benefit, but overall seems to be changes that are neutral for most platinum members and beneficial to all gold and silver members
Old May 17, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
AA/BA continue to have the cabin bonus, this is unchanged.

The new increased cabin bonuses from 17 May 2011 apply to Qantas and Jetstar. ...
That's good; however the Airline Earning Table in the T&C's really needs to be edited to clarify this.

Cabin bonus for BA and AA appears to listed in the "Up to 17 May" column with no entries listed for post 17 may.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyhy
Degradation not just from the new annual reset but also it seems that the maximum earn is now 4 x 8000 points = 32,000???
If this is correct then last years 40,000 point earn in loyalty bonus's becomes only 32,000 this year without the carry over
It's worth noting that last year we introduced a set of benefits at 2400 Status credits, one of which was a 50,000 points option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.