Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Old May 22, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I disagree; a lifetime top tier status ceases to provide any encouragement to use the carrier much. LT Gold provides a reward for travel performed without removing any incentive to continue to earn the 1200 needed to renew. Once LT Plat status is achieved , then can just focus elsewhere safe in knowledge that always have top QF status
I don't disagree. But I would argue that even LTG removes a considerable impetus to ean/fly QF, and I know quite a few of the LTGs on this board would nod in agreement. How many have attained LTG and switched out of QF? More than one just in this thread. Most of them go on to OWE in another airline, so end up in the First class lounges anyhow.

At least LT Plat at a very high level (and I absolutely agree and support the notion of 10 years successive Plat as a pre-requisite a la LH Life SEN - and if you've been Plat since Plat started, you're there already this year) keeps those people attuned to flying QF for another 5 years (say) after LTG.

And you have to be at least 60 years old.
... for LH Lifetime SEN.

Yep, knew that, and actually don't really have a problem with it at all. Great - a Lifetime top tier for your retirement travel. Limits the liability. Win-win.
Old May 22, 2011, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MrsDrD
I don't disagree. But I would argue that even LTG removes a considerable impetus to ean/fly QF, and I know quite a few of the LTGs on this board would nod in agreement. How many have attained LTG and switched out of QF? More than one just in this thread. Most of them go on to OWE in another airline, so end up in the First class lounges anyhow..
I Stopped being overly fussed about getting SCs before I attained LTG and was just collecting points as I went; I took to choosing airlines based on schedule and quality well before attaining LTG and LTG just came along as it did. LTP wouldn't provide any encouragement for me to start using QF any more than I do nor to waste my miles by crediting to QFF
Old May 22, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Next year, I wonder if QF will provide centurion members free Plat+

Imagine the uproar
Old May 22, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by haydensydney
Next year, I wonder if QF will provide centurion members free Plat+

Imagine the uproar
Why? Centurion doesn't give Plat now - just one QC membership... and of course the new CX Diamond offer.
Old May 22, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
They don't provide Platinum. Why would they provide Platinum+?
Old May 22, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Lifetime status is great for QF when you are locking your FF's into traveling with you (or other OW airlines). I suspect it is not so great when after a few years there are thousands turning LTG. (An assumption on my part.)

You have to find a way to lock those FF's in again or they will use the benefit and fly with other airlines. Why continue with QF if there is nothing else to aim for and other airlines offer better earn and burn rates?

I'm sure QF must have done the maths......maybe!
Old May 22, 2011, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by TonyHancock
Lifetime status is great for QF when you are locking your FF's into traveling with you (or other OW airlines). I suspect it is not so great when after a few years there are thousands turning LTG. (An assumption on my part.)

You have to find a way to lock those FF[unwanted apostrophe removed ]s in again or they will use the benefit and fly with other airlines. Why continue with QF if there is nothing else to aim for and other airlines offer better earn and burn rates?
Oooh... they could improve their products so as to be an airline of 1st choice and improve their redemption rates

Trying to get customers based on quality of offerings rather than by trying to get people to stay for the promise of a pretty card in the future
Old May 22, 2011, 4:50 am

Oooh... they could improve their products so as to be an airline of 1st choice and improve their redemption rates

Trying to get customers based on quality of offerings rather than by trying to get people to stay for the promise of a pretty card in the future
No argument from me!...but we live in an age where the promise of a pretty card seems to carry more weight.

(I'll pop the apostrophe back though. When used with abbreviations I believe it is acceptable )
Old May 22, 2011, 5:00 am

No argument from me!...but we live in an age where the promise of a pretty card seems to carry more weight.

(I'll pop the apostrophe back though. When used with abbreviations I believe it is acceptable )
Well, mebe at some point , people will recognise the value of quality over a pretty card

It isn't acceptable to use an apostrophe when pluralising. "FF" is an abbreviation, "FFs" would be the plural of the abbreviated "FF" whilst "FF's" would be the possessive form of "FF" .

Dave
Old May 22, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: QF, HH
It isn't acceptable to use an apostrophe when pluralising. "FF" is an abbreviation, "FFs" would be the plural of the abbreviated "FF" whilst "FF's" would be the possessive form of "FF" .

Dave
Oh, thank GOD somebody knows the truth about when and where to use apostrophes! ^
Old May 22, 2011, 5:45 am

Well, mebe at some point , people will recognise the value of quality over a pretty card

Dave
Unfortunately I think the days of quality over pretty cards and all round cr*p are long gone. (Flying these days has lost the magic it used to have. For me anyway.)

(As for the apostrophe, the whole issue of possessive apostrophes has never been properly addressed. The Oxford Companion to the English Language is inconclusive when it comes to apostrophes. So I'll pop my back. I wonder if FF should actually be F.F.?)
Old May 22, 2011, 5:47 am

Yes, I agree that quality and a good earn/burn rate are better than a shiny card.

On the other matter:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
Old May 22, 2011, 5:50 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Complete agreement on this one.
Old May 22, 2011, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by og
Complete agreement on this one.
Is not

Isn't

Frequent Flyers

F. F's

Old May 22, 2011, 5:58 am

Unfortunately I think the days of quality over pretty cards and all round cr*p are long gone. (Flying these days has lost the magic it used to have. For me anyway.)
I disagree. There are some good airlines around which still offer good service

(As for the apostrophe, the whole issue of possessive apostrophes has never been properly addressed. The Oxford Companion to the English Language is inconclusive when it comes to apostrophes. So I'll pop my back. I wonder if FF should actually be F.F.?)
Nothing inconclusive or confusing. Apostrophes are used for 2 purposes; 1 use is for contraction and the other is for possession . They are never used for pluralisation. Where some do get confused is where to put the apostrophe when doing a possessive form

I would agree that F.F. would be an appropriate abbreviation , same as I would always tend to use e.g. and i.e. in a written document rather than the sloppier eg and ie form

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.