Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I have no problem with the new PO level, I really do not care if there are higher status members than me, eg. I dropped from NZ GE to NZ G as there really was little benefit to me to retain GE. I would not think of engineering my travels to try to go for it, I have beetter things to do with my time and money.
However QF devalued WP with the last changes, massive increase in fares for JQ (which I need to use in order to maintain status) and still no JQ acknowledgement of QF status.
Many of the additional earnings are not related to Status levels, WP travel economy or plenty of Zone 1 Business Class which has no additional benefits.
Without any increase in the value proposition of WP over SG I can see some WP dropping to SG and taking competitors instead, not something I thought QF would want. I will retain WP for my next membership year, will get LTS but I do wonder about retaining WP for the year after, my last EK Business Class trip a few months ago left me unimpressed but will still monitor their sales.
The unannounced ( and seemingly unnoticed ) rise in JQ fares is a big thing. the rises are pretty large and , to me, more newsworthy and of concern than the FF changes.

Dave
Old May 19, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I'm waiting for them to devalue points due to higher (cash) fare prices. Increased fuel costs aside (which they've already addressed with QFF), the points needed to redeem flights haven't really changed (or have I missed it).

I'm not sure the way they hand out points like there is no tomorrow (pun intended ) is sustainable. Surely there aren't many people who will spend 60000 points on something that only costs a couple of hundred bucks...?
Old May 19, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
My daughter who has taken 12 years to reach over 350 lifetime SC's and who's account is showing:... will have that change on December 1st to 500.

QFF are going reap a huge windfall through the forced "Breakage" of this benefit.

NB: It's obvious Qantas know this particular change is an overall material degradation to the Program for members - that's why they are giving the six months notice as per their T&C's.
I would say it is but not for all members. Some members will be better off, and some will be worse off. Everyone needs to work it out for their individual circumstance.

Someone that does 900 SC a year will be worse off, but someone that does 1000SC a year will be better off. For someone that is quite variable, then it is a bit harder to work out.
Old May 19, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are taking the comment that was related to the Platinum level and then suggesting that it was designed to apply to all

Those with No status and many with silver have lost out on the accrual of status bonuses. This is irrelevent to the suggestion that Platinum members are losing out on benefits which I was replying to
I was referring to the entire thread. Yes you were referring to Platinum members in your post - I guess I should not have quoted it. I was using it in reference to Qantas not winning overall. I have removed your quote.
Old May 19, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by perthite
I would say it is but not for all members. Some members will be better off, and some will be worse off. Everyone needs to work it out for their individual circumstance.

Someone that does 900 SC a year will be worse off, but someone that does 1000SC a year will be better off. For someone that is quite variable, then it is a bit harder to work out.
I think Qantas have done their sums and believe that, even taking out the the forced breakage, they consider they will continue to be better off with these changes on an annual basis.

It's not unlike Telcos changing from "per 30 second or part thereof" charging to "one minute or part thereof" charging. There will be exceptions but overall the company will have a better bottom line.

Consider the earning of 900 SC's in a "Year"; post Dec 1 against before.
Old May 19, 2011, 6:50 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The unannounced ( and seemingly unnoticed ) rise in JQ fares is a big thing. the rises are pretty large and , to me, more newsworthy and of concern than the FF changes.

Dave
I haven't look as I only fly JQ when necessary. How much have they increased?
Old May 19, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
I think Qantas have done their sums and believe that, even taking out the the forced breakage, they consider they will continue to be better off with these changes on an annual basis.
I don't doubt it - but I suspect a lot of that breakage will be coming from the once a year traveller that now has a QFF card courtesy of Woolworths.

From a point accounting perspective, I don't know if they are making a provision somewhere in the acounts as you gain SC's, but if they do, I imagine there is an awful lot that is set aside for the infrequent traveller.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I haven't look as I only fly JQ when necessary. How much have they increased?
I think Dave was referring to the fact that JQ Business fares (the cabin formerly known as * Class) will now cost $200 more per sector if you want to get any miles or SCs.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think Dave was referring to the fact that JQ Business fares (the cabin formerly known as * Class) will now cost $200 more per sector if you want to get any miles or SCs.
I don't just mean that. Previously, the normal Starclass fares were refundable. Now need to purchase a Business Max to get the same flexibility ( which is a much more important aspect tp me than miles ) . Before $1299 got a full flexible starclass HNL-SYD, now need to pay $1499

Fares which were jetflex have had a huge hike too. Jetflex SYD-MEL was $269, now $339 , so a 26% price rise

26% is a huge price hike imo

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 20, 2011 at 4:02 am
Old May 19, 2011, 11:49 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by perthite
And someone who earns 400 credits a year will be worse off, as instead of getting 10,000 points every 3 years they get nothing.

Would make this more of an elite bonus than a loyalty one as only (predominantly) SG & WP members will qualify
Old May 20, 2011, 3:46 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I don't just mean that. Previously, the normal Starclass fares were refundable. Now need to purchase a Business Max to get the same flexibility ( which is a much more important aspect tp me than miles ) . Before $1299 got a full flexible starclass HNL-SYD, now need to pay $1299

Fares which were jetflex have had a huge hike too. Jetflex SYD-MEL was $269, now $339 , so a 26% price rise

26% is a huge price hike imo
I agree with Dave Noble here. The JQ product has had a massive price increase for anything but the most cheapest fares. To get the same deal for JetFlex I see a minimum of 20% increases in NZ and also some Australian routes. I have not looked for flights with higher lead in fares but what I have seen is the following:
Base Fare Old: $60 JetFlex Old $200
Starter New: $65 Starter Max $240 with 20kg checked baggage $255.
Starter New: $80 Starter Max $240 with 20kg checked baggage $255.
So from some observation the add on cost is not fixed, there seems to be a price point for each of the add ons.
For me comparing prices with NZ I can get a better product for the same price most of the time.
Old May 20, 2011, 3:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MrsDrD
One interesting question would be: if Plat is now the second to top tier, might we expect a new Lifetime Plat? Say, 28,000 SCs?

That may be worth putting a few miles to QF again.

The Plat+ benefits will have to be pretty compelling to lure us back from CX Diamond.

But do applaud the final realisation by QFF that Plat hasn't been cutting it for a while, and that an awful lot of people reach 1,200 SCs quite easily.
Platinum One isn't a new tier but rather it is newly disclosed by QF.
Old May 20, 2011, 5:13 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
If people were wondering why QF doesn't know the number of P1s: One reason of course is that the number won't be published anyway but also that the qualification criteria is not yet clear.

While QF announced a requirement for 3600 SCs they have reported on AFF that there might also be requirements in terms of SCs obtained on QF flights.

So some people sitting at 3600 SCs now have their hopes up only to be disappointed when they find out in November that 2000 of the SCs needed to be on QF. Not a good PR strategy in my opinion going out to the world with a proposal which list the requirements but no benefits and even then to say that the published requirements are actually incomplete.

I am sitting at almost 2400 SCs for the year with 2/3 of my membership year still to come. Now do I book more QF flights hoping that I make P1 and that the benefits will be worth it or do I book flights on *A?

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; May 20, 2011 at 5:19 am
Old May 20, 2011, 5:14 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Aha welcome back, KF
Old May 20, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Thanks Kiwi Flyer I did not want to sa anything about how one came to discover this secret level, say flying in one year to get LTG
As was once written about being contacted out of the blue by QF about a new status, I do not remember the benefits but I think one was a special QF A380 flight in F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.