FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Help re: platinum qualification (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1208149-help-re-platinum-qualification.html)

styyyle Apr 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Help re: platinum qualification

Gurus,

I have 1140 status credits so far, and my status reassessment is due 31 May 2011, and am based in Sydney. I have a booked flight with Lan Chile to Auckland return in business class in early May, which I think is worth 160 status credits. That takes me to 1300.

I also have a qantas discount economy booking to Adelaide one way (the way back is jetstar), which I think is worth 15 status credits. That takes me to 1315.

Question is - can anyone advise the best/easiest/cheapest way to collect the last 85 status credits? Im thinking the Sydney-Canberra return in business class is good for 80 status credits for ~$800.

But that would leave me with 1395. Would qantas bump me up to platinum that close to the magic 1400? Or do I need to find a way to collect that last miserly 5 SCs? :confused:

FWIW, Im currently gold status but have been platinum before (back in 2007/8).

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers
styyyle

moa999 Apr 21, 2011 11:18 pm

They won't bump - you need to find a way to 1400

Can you upgrade the adelaide flight?
or look at some business class any-seat awards

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Apr 24, 2011 8:46 am

can you upgrade the jetstar ticket to jetflex? that will earn SCs for you.

trg2u Apr 29, 2014 5:43 pm

I am in a similar position to OP. 155 SP's to reach WP by 31 May 2014.
Had thought I would get back to Aust soon but my contract work has slowed up.
My dilemma is:
Just flag WP or do a Status run in J with LAN (AKL-SYD-AKL) & get 160 SPs.($800NZ). Unsure if the cost of $800 is worth going from SG to WP. Should remain SG next year but then with the changes to QFF who knows..
Your thoughts if it were you??

Dave Noble Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by trg2u (Post 22782422)
My dilemma is:
Just flag WP or do a Status run in J with LAN (AKL-SYD-AKL) & get 160 SPs.($800NZ). Unsure if the cost of $800 is worth going from SG to WP. Should remain SG next year but then with the changes to QFF who knows..

Are you actually going to get $800 value from platinun status? I would be inclined to use that for something worthwhile

Blackcloud Apr 30, 2014 3:43 am

Originally Posted by trg2u (Post 22782422)
My dilemma is:

I would do the LAN run as I believe it is worth to keep WP and better, if you fly QF and oneworld, to keep it than to try to earn it all over again, higher points to attain plus you are not getting the benefits of it to attain it.
Of course YMMV on how you value $800.

number_6 Apr 30, 2014 3:49 am

Pretty easy to get $800 benefit from WP over SG as long as you get to SYD/MEL frequently enough or fly enough sectors over the next year on Oneworld.

Dave Noble Apr 30, 2014 5:04 am

ermen May 2, 2014 7:14 am

Would look at the LAN or JASA as others have said...

justin_krusty May 3, 2014 2:49 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

I actually think Gold is the sweet spot in the program. I'm about to requal back up to WP but the last year at Gold has shown me how little extra value is there. If you're going to do a lot of Intl flying out of SYD/MEL then F lounge is cool the first few times, it does get blasé when you do it a lot however. Spending $800 on 1 or 2 really nice dinners with a partner would be much more memorable and a better use of money in my opinion. It could be worth it if you will need the soft landing next year though - basically guaranteeing 2 years of benefits instead of just 1.

trg2u May 4, 2014 5:04 am

Your thoughts Justin are very similar to my thinking. Gold I agree is the best value area in most programs. Maintaining G in Star A & OW suits my situation best. Gives me choice & a good spread of flight times & lounge access.
I had decided not to chase the last 155 SPs for Plat -however
an unexpected work call to Florida next week, will see some opportunity to achieve these.^