Wiki Posts
Search

QF SIN-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP, SQ PPS,QFLTG, EK Silver,SPG Gold, HH Diamond ,Amex Centurion
QF SIN-MEL

Why don't QF have a service that lands in the evening from SIN into MEL. At the moment Im having to fly SIN-SYD-MEL in order to leave SIN and get into MEL on the same day.

SQ do it, although I am sure it's something to do with leaving LHR. Anyone have any bright ideas as to why there is no service SIN-MEL that leaves during the day and isn't a night flight?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only QF flight (QF10) flight from SIN-MEL starts in London in the evening and so leaves SIN in the evening.

SQ are running flights from SIN-MEL with no inward connection and operate more flights on the route. Unfortunately even Jetstar's SIN-MEL is also overnight.

For a nonstop service to MEL by day, SQ do seem to be the way to go
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:13 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Clearly QF's strategy works, as you are willing to route SIN-SYD-MEL. Presumably QF judges that there is enough SIN-SYD traffic both O/D and hub, but not enough SIN-MEL traffic to warrant that extra flight. MEL-LHR goes via HKG instead Maybe the growth of JQ/3K will result in SIN-MEL service being added during the day, but QF is a bit short on fuel-efficient planes this year.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by number_6
MEL-LHR goes via HKG instead Maybe the growth of JQ/3K will result in SIN-MEL service being added during the day, but QF is a bit short on fuel-efficient planes this year.
There are two flights between MEL and LHR. QF9/10 via SIN and QF29/30 via HKG.

With the LHR time change of QF30, QF now has 3 of 4 LHR flights leaving London in the evening (Both Melbourne flights and the Bangkok/Sydney flight).

Only way the SIN-MEL flight can become a day flight is if it left LHR around lunch time. But that would leave both QF LHR-SIN flights departing around the same time.

James - If you're only doing same day flying, I assume you're getting QF32 out of SIN then connecting to one of the last 2 QF SYD-MEL flights of the day?

Have you tried SIN-PER-MEL? QF72 0905-1415 QF776 1805-2340 (There is also QF768, but it only leaves 80 mins for a connection from QF72, so may not be allowable).
Other then QF72 and QF32 all the QF flights from SIN into AU are overnight.

Last edited by Himeno; Apr 3, 2011 at 2:54 am
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
Other then QF72 and QF32 all the QF flights into AU are overnight.
All from Asia mebe, but not all QF flights into AU are overnight
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I corrected my post as you were posting. Though it is an interesting thought. Just how many flights does QF have coming into Australia overnight?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Himeno
There are two flights between MEL and LHR. QF9/10 via SIN and QF29/30 via HKG.

James - If you're only doing same day flying, I assume you're getting QF32 out of SIN then connecting to one of the last 2 QF SYD-MEL flights of the day?

Have you tried SIN-PER-MEL? QF72 0905-1415 QF776 1805-2340 (There is also QF768, but it only leaves 80 mins for a connection from QF72, so may not be allowable).
Other then QF72 and QF32 all the QF flights from SIN into AU are overnight.
Yes I am flying QF32 from SIN-SYD then catching the last flight from SYD-MEL, I might consider using another entry point into Australia eg Perth, however my business allows to me to fly F, so i'd really want to be utilising that rather than J.

I would prefer NOT to transfer through Sydney, as it's a nightmare, having to clear customs, immigration, go to the transfer desk, catch the bus etc etc, and especially if the plane is delayed. I suppose the other option is to crash (excuse the pun) in Sydney for the night. I really don't like overnight flights, as it plays havoc with my sleep pattern!

Thanks for your response though

Cheers

James
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by James King

I would prefer NOT to transfer through Sydney, as it's a nightmare, having to clear customs, immigration, go to the transfer desk, catch the bus etc etc, and especially if the plane is delayed. I suppose the other option is to crash (excuse the pun) in Sydney for the night. I really don't like overnight flights, as it plays havoc with my sleep pattern!
I'm with you on that, Night flights are awful. I used to like EK into MEL when they had a 3pm departure from SIN with a late night arrival into Melbourne; these days however their 3pmish service goes to BNE. If I was doing it with any frequency, I would take SQ non stop rather than have to connect in Sydney and downgrade to business even though they don't have suites on the daytime service
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Good point Dave!

I don't "need" First Class on day flights between Asia and Australia, however between London and Asia I certainly do need First (being 6ft 7inches tall!) After this return flight, I won't need to fly QF anymore till next year, as I've reached my 1200 status credits.

I like SQ much more than QF, and I used to like EK, however there is so much difference between their plane configs, that I don't want to be lumbered with a poor substitute between DXB and LHR. Maybe when all of their AC are fitted with a similar product I might use them.

Maybe I might look at some alternative carriers such as MH or CX, pref CX as it's oneworld. Qantas needs to start to worry when a domestic airline gets with *A.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Just checked.
With the exception of flights from New Zealand and NOU, there appears to be only 3 QF international flights that operate into Australia during the same day:
QF88 HKG-SYD
QF72 SIN-PER
QF32 LHR-SIN-SYD (LHR-SIN overnight, SIN-SYD day)

QF78, the other SIN-PER flight, arrives in PER just after midnight.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by James King
I like SQ much more than QF, and I used to like EK, however there is so much difference between their plane configs, that I don't want to be lumbered with a poor substitute between DXB and LHR. Maybe when all of their AC are fitted with a similar product I might use them.
Taking the 1 stop service to MEL from LGW , then will get suites on both sectors.

If wanting to start from LHR (*shudder*) then will get suites on the A380 and again suites on the 777 non stop DXB-MEL

Of the flights from DXB-MEL, the non stop and the service via Singapore have suites every day
Just do not book the DXB-KUL-MEL flight (0240 ex DXB) and will be fine at getting the top product.

If you havent used them for a while, def worth trying again

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 3, 2011 at 5:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.