Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 29

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by gezza48
Oi you lot of flounge lizards this was originally about business lounges, lololo..xgezza
Sorry It doesn't take much to drag us OT.

The worst aspect of the QF J Lounge at MEL is that is has no windows or natural light. As far as the product goes it had improved considerably last time I used it (June 2010).

Was greeted upon entry by a maitre'd type person and offered 'plate of the day' which wasn't that much (certainly not a meal) but still tasty and a nice touch. Frequent sevice in your chair of various hot finger foods/snacks.

Overall certainly not the F lounge but compared with other business lounges it stacks up pretty well (lack of windows, and the fact I have not been in there for 9 months notwithstanding).
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United mileage plus, qantas frequent flyer silver
Thank you very much for your advice and experience BD 1959. Re BUSINESS LOUNGE @ Melbourne & QF29 time scheduel etc. We hope to make good use of showers/beauty parlor for R&R, don't feel like the anxiety that skybussing into the city creates, any recommandations for beauty/facial/hair @ Melbourne airport?
Gez in Adelaide
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi Tuepekaster, we dont care about windows that much as we will be hopping out for cigarettes every now and then! Thank you very much for your insight into this place, what are the showers like & can we book a massage or facial? xGez
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Once airside it's rather difficult to be "hopping out" for a cigarette every now and then.

Where are you coming from that requires a 7 hours transit?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by BD1959
If transiting, there's a QF F Lounge - but a lot of regulars seem to prefer the CX F Lounges.

BD
OK I spent ~ 3 hours at HKIA a few weeks back. I visited:

The Wing F - As I wasn't in transit I had no need for the cabana which I have previously used. It was breakfast time and the food in the haven did not appeal to me and some of the food was cold / old / stale. I stayed there for 5 minutes.

The Wing J - I checked out the noodle bar. Maybe because it was breakfast but once again nothing appealed to me. Stayed for 2 mins.

QF F - My next and final stop. The food still wasn't great although the pork steam buns were fresher than the haven. A very limited selection of hot food but the ambience and views were good. I saw QF29 depart and QF30 arrive. There was plenty to read, good wifi etc. And they have ice cream!

I have previously visted the QF J lounge several times and actually prefer that lounge for the food but not the view and the crowds. Next time I'm probably go to the J lounge to eat and then the F lounge to relax.

I'd try the Wing again at a different time of the day but I wouldn't go out of my way on a short layover.

Last edited by bacook; Mar 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Hi Tuepekaster, we dont care about windows that much as we will be hopping out for cigarettes every now and then! Thank you very much for your insight into this place, what are the showers like & can we book a massage or facial? xGez
I never use the showers there (being from MEL no need) but if they're typical QF they should be fine. No massages/facials (only in F lounge).

And as serfty says once you're airside there is nowhere to (legally) have a smoke at MEL (as far as I know)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks alot BD! x
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I am happy to walk alot to get my nicotine fix tupekastar!! done it all over the world and in all sorts of places!!! since age 15 as a brit army brat via West Germany/Sing/Bahrain/Changi/Dubai/Oz etc!!! I need to keep busy and tend to shop/read alot whilst in transit..xgez:-)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Coming from Adelaide 1330 into Melb 1525hrs
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am happy to walk alot to get my nicotine fix ...
It's not so much the walk - it is just that there is nowhere to walk to ... there are NO airside smoking facilities at MEL.

And, once airside at T2, it is unlikely customs/emigration will allow you back landside merely to have a smoke.

Since you appear to be on an International Business class connection, might I suggest you employ the Qantas Domestic business class lounge at T1 until it closes when the last Qantas domestic departure commences boarding (~8:30pm).

You can pop in and out from there to your habit's content; although you have to resubmit to X-ray/security each time you re-enter.

After that you can then head around to international T2. Note that once you pass through security there, you have had your last legal smoke until HKG.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 25, 2011 at 4:57 am
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:55 am

I wld go for CX over QF F lounge. There's the Wing or the Pier. Depending on the time of day my preference would be the Pier - it's more clubby, although the library in the Wing is a cracker.
Old May 4, 2011, 8:07 pm

Hi folks, I will be flying on QF29 (MEL-HKG) in early October with my wife in F on our way to BKK. This is our first time in QF F (have flown J flights before) and MEL is our port of departure (coming in from AYQ/SYD the day before).

I was happy to grab two QF F seats on this flight as there were no availabilities with CX nor QF in business on most of the dates we wanted to travel out of SYD or MEL... until I found these two seats!

Based on my memory, QF provides pajamas even in J class. Will we get Pajamas (hopefully a better one) and amenity kits? If so, anyone have pictures?

Also, what should I expect on this flight in F? Food offerings, Champagne? Is there a turn-down service?

Lastly, it seems like we can also get Spa treatment. How early should we arrive to experience Spa treatment and are there decent food offerings in the F lounge before this late night departure?
Old May 4, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brahms77

Also, what should I expect on this flight in F? Food offerings, Champagne? Is there a turn-down service?

Lastly, it seems like we can also get Spa treatment. How early should we arrive to experience Spa treatment and are there decent food offerings in the F lounge before this late night departure?
6 hours should do it

They have an a la carte menu from which you order.

There are generally three or four types of Champagne to choose from.

See here for more:* Make sure your contact details are in the booking correctly. Since you are travelling in First class they should call you ther day before to book a spa treatment for a specific time.

Last edited by serfty; May 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm
Old May 4, 2011, 11:10 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
PJs will be issued, and they are certainly much better than the grey J PJs with the black 'roo on the front. The F amenity kit is also better than the J kit.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by serfty
6 hours should do it
Well noted... I am probably going to arrive by dinner time (say 8PM) and skip dinner in town. Last time I been to QF F lounge (SYD) everything was rushed (quick shower + and lunch) despite having arrived at the airport 3 and half hours before my LAN flight to SCL - I had problems with my DONE4 and had to deal with ticket issues. That took me almost 2 hours! So, I was really hoping for a re-visit for QF F lounge.

I may have to write a trip report on this journey - I am visiting LH F terminal, LX F lounge in ZRH, TG F lounge and Spa, QF F lounge in MEL, and CX F lounges in HKG all in the same trip (all within three weeks' time)!!! Best of the best lounges in the world - side by side comparision

I am looking forward to the LH F terminal and QF F lounge experience the most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.