Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Jetstar 3K402 Check-in at AKL and other stuff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG

hi everyone,
About to fly on 3K402 AKL to SIN in a couple of week's time in Starclass. Wonder if anyone here has already flown on that flight?
I would like to know whether Starclass check-in is in the QF/Oneworld enclosed premium check-in area, or perhaps a separate line next to the regular Jetstar check-in at AKL international terminal.
If you have flown Starclass on 3K402, did you get an express pass through AKL passport control and security? (I was given an express pass for JQ8 to go through MEL passport and customs on arrival.)
What is the meal service like in Starclass for AKL to SIN? I assume that would be one main meal (served with cheese and dessert from the trolley) and one light meal. Could one pick off any other item from the buy-on-board menu in between the meals for free if travelling in Starclass as per what is claimed on the JQ website?
I am trying to compare with my experience on JQ 8 SIN to MEL. Before take off from SIN and even before the main dinner is served, the FAs plied us with a lot of snacks eg nuts, chocolates, which we could hold on to for later consumption etc which appeared to be from the buy-on-board menu asthey serve the pre-departure drink on the ground. I quite like the hot breakfast served prior to landing as well, much nicer than the cold options only on QF 10 SIN to MEL.
Ironically I felt that I got more food and snacks on board Starclass on JQ8 than in business on board the equivalent QF 10 MEL to SIN.
Cheers, Gerald
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I'll wait for your report! I'm in Y on 3K402 in early May AKL-SIN and, as QP, has presumed the JQ checkin for QP members would be in the QF Premium Area.

I was pleased to see that QP pax travelling on 3K are now allowed to access the QP - a change from Oct/Nov last year IIRC.

Have a great flight, and hope you grabbed one of the launch 'special fares' - I did

Cheers, TK
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Flying on Friday but not in starclass, ill post what i see next week
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I would be surirsed if you could check in on 3K at the QF Premium Lobby. AFAIK QF cannot check you in for a JQ flight.
For NZ and AUS passport holders the passport kiosks/smartgate would be just as quick as the express service.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: QF, NZ, MH, Hilton
Are any of you that are on this flight in the upcoming weeks connecting onto KUL. I'd be curious to hear reports on the practicality of doing this.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:13 pm

Starclass lines are at the Jetstar check-in, there were 3 dedicated to Starclass, and yes you have access to the QANTAS Lounge at AKL Intl.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Rebound for the information. Good to know that there are 3 counters dedicated to Starclass. At SIN, before the SIN to AKL flight started operating, there was only 1 Starclass counter/line for the SIN to MEL flight, and many pax who were not in Starclass, eg, they were in the other line, tried to use the Starclass counter! Hopefully there will be more than one now since there is now also the SIN to AKL flight.
Is the Jetstar check-in to the right or to the left of the enclosed QF Premium Check-in room? Regular QF economy check-in for non-status pax is normally to the right from what I have observed when flying out of AKL.
Access to the Qantas International Lounge is a given since that is one of the benifits of flying Starclass.
Rebound, although you did not fly Starclass on this trip, could you observe what the Starclass service was like on your flight? eg how many meals were served in the Starclass cabin? Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:10 pm

When I passed Auckland the other day it was to the right of the QF Premium check in - but after Qantas Economy, and after some Royal Brunei counters.

I would say the service would be a meal then a refreshment item into Singapore - Same as flights to Japan and Thailand given the length of the flight.

Am surprised you say QF10 has less food than Jetstar. QF10 is one of the most over catered highest waste flights Qantas operates. Why would you want a hot breakfast 3 hours after dinner?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Well so far with my experience on two JQ8 SIN to MEL flights in Starclass, the first meal was served very quickly since there were only 10 pax in Starclass. Dessert (cake sliced up in front of you from the trolley), fruits and cheese - all three were offered and you do not have to choose from one of the three as on regular QF business class on QF10. Dinner was served/cleared within 1 hr 30 mins after take-off and then lights off.

The second meal was actually served about 45 mins prior to landing - they don't serve cereal and fruits for breakfast on JQ, but just a hot dish (Asian or Western), a packaged yoghurt and a roll. So to me it was nice to have a hot option. The Asian option was on both times a noodle dish. Western - an egg fritata dish with relish and sausage that is quite similar to the QF Trans-tasman Y hot breakfast offering. It does appear that because of the low pax numbers in Starclass, the hot dish could be heated up a little closer towards landing time. At least on one flight, the cabin crew waited for each passenger to wake up individually before offering the hot breakfast.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, prior to take-off with the take-off drinks, the cabin crew served the packaged nut-mix, chocolates, and other nibbles (which I believe is from the buy-on-board menu for regular JQ Y class) and encouraged us to take as much as possible for further consumption during the flight!

Because of the slower flying time of the A332 and perhaps JQ Starclass on SIN to MEL seems usually less than 1/2 empty, with the cabin crew being able to complete the dinner service much quickly compared to QF10, I actually felt that I had a longer rest time on the overnight JQ flight! Normally on QF 10, I would decline the breakfast to give myself more sleep time since the time taken to serve dinner and to clear up appears to take a bit longer than what I have experienced on JQ 8, although of course usually QF 10 is 100% full in J.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rebound
Starclass lines are at the Jetstar check-in, there were 3 dedicated to Starclass, and yes you have access to the QANTAS Lounge at AKL Intl.
Hmmmm, would QP members be able to check-in at the StarClass counter?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Hmmmm, would QP members be able to check-in at the StarClass counter?
Nup!

Unless you are CL, Starclass queues are for Starclass PAX.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by igel
Well so far with my experience on two JQ8 SIN to MEL flights in Starclass, the first meal was served very quickly since there were only 10 pax in Starclass. Dessert (cake sliced up in front of you from the trolley), fruits and cheese - all three were offered and you do not have to choose from one of the three as on regular QF business class on QF10. Dinner was served/cleared within 1 hr 30 mins after take-off and then lights off.

The second meal was actually served about 45 mins prior to landing - they don't serve cereal and fruits for breakfast on JQ, but just a hot dish (Asian or Western), a packaged yoghurt and a roll. So to me it was nice to have a hot option. The Asian option was on both times a noodle dish. Western - an egg fritata dish with relish and sausage that is quite similar to the QF Trans-tasman Y hot breakfast offering. It does appear that because of the low pax numbers in Starclass, the hot dish could be heated up a little closer towards landing time. At least on one flight, the cabin crew waited for each passenger to wake up individually before offering the hot breakfast.
I flew JQ8 last week, and it was very full on Star Class, 36 pax, to be exact. However, the timings of the meals were similar to the above. Dinner all done in less than 2 hours, and breakfast (refreshment) served 1 hour prior to landing. And yes, they waited for the pax to wake up before offering the breakfast, which I guess isn't too hard, since, after the first few serves, the noise is enough to wake up other pax.

I quite enjoyed the Baileys on ice with dessert though (with a pax taking multiple shots of those). Port was also available with dessert on JQ7.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
Nup!

Unless you are CL, Starclass queues are for Starclass PAX.
Thanks, I now know my non-StarClass statusless place !
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:01 pm

How about economy? I have booked to fly on 3K401/402 in Aug and have also pre-booked meals and comfort kits. How are the meals and comfort kit like on the flight? 2 hot meals on each flight served?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by igel
Thanks Rebound for the information. Good to know that there are 3 counters dedicated to Starclass. At SIN, before the SIN to AKL flight started operating, there was only 1 Starclass counter/line for the SIN to MEL flight, and many pax who were not in Starclass, eg, they were in the other line, tried to use the Starclass counter! Hopefully there will be more than one now since there is now also the SIN to AKL flight.
Is the Jetstar check-in to the right or to the left of the enclosed QF Premium Check-in room? Regular QF economy check-in for non-status pax is normally to the right from what I have observed when flying out of AKL.
Access to the Qantas International Lounge is a given since that is one of the benifits of flying Starclass.
Rebound, although you did not fly Starclass on this trip, could you observe what the Starclass service was like on your flight? eg how many meals were served in the Starclass cabin? Thanks.
My flight from AKL-SIN was unpleasant to start with, check-in was a zoo even though i was in early, it did not take long once i had checked in but its typical Jetstar passengers. Boarding was once again a zoo and the same went for when we were on board. They did not seem to be enforcing any carry on rules which i was surprised by, i saw passengers taking on average 2 bags each + duty free.

The A330-200 was pretty dirty, the tray tables were not clean, i had a lady behind me whos stomach touched the seat in front so i was asked not to recline, luckily i had a spare seat next to me so I swapped into that. Economy was around 70% full, StarClass had 3 passengers.

I purchased a meal + comfort kit - meal options were some sort of curry and rice, chicken and pasta or a vege option. Comfort kit was good, but the neck support is very uncomfortable.

The crew were excellent to some extent, the girl serving my side of the plane was good but once again passengers let their kids run around out of control for most the flight.

I sat in 24K (Window Seat) but i would recommend an aisle seat as the window seat has limited leg room.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.