FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   QF Gold members on CX flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1187543-qf-gold-members-cx-flights.html)

cyncynangel Feb 23, 2011 9:50 pm

QF Gold members on CX flights

Hi all

Just wondering how many of you are there who is a QFF members and had taken a CX flights with free upgrade?

A friend of mine who used to be macro polo gold and dropped down to silver, he still gets free upgrade for 8 of his 10 flights from sydney to hkg

cyncynangel Feb 23, 2011 10:15 pm

i mean out there

number_6 Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

CX overbooks Y by a considerable margin on many routes, making op-ups Y-J and J-F far more common than on QF for example. Certain routes, days of week, and even time of day are 10x more likely to get opup than other CX flights, so it all depends. As for upgrade priority, that is a topic of wide debate on the CX forum, with some claiming that CX will opup all of MPC members first before doing Oneworld status opups. While I have never personally had an opup from CX as I only fly F with them, have seen many AA EXP opup'ed in LAX. SYD-HKG might have a lot of WPs flying, so SG may not be high enough status for opup on CX, even ignoring the CX vs QF status distinction. I'd expect ADL-HKG or even MEL-HKG to have much better opup chances than SYD-HKG.

justin_krusty Feb 24, 2011 3:19 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Couple years ago I got opups MEL-HKG-MEL from Y-J as a SG, as did a couple others. It was Xmas time which always helps. I'd expect most WP to fly QF, and the CX MEL traffic is more leisure/family than business so less CX Diamonds. Not yet flown them since making WP.

I had also been doing a bit of long haul J travel with them just before then, CX do track how much spend you do with them, even if you credit to another program.

While the product is not as good as it used to be, I still enjoy them far more than QF, simply due to consistency.

QF Lad Feb 24, 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 15922254)
CX overbooks Y by a considerable margin on many routes, making op-ups Y-J and J-F far more common than on QF for example. Certain routes, days of week, and even time of day are 10x more likely to get opup than other CX flights, so it all depends. As for upgrade priority, that is a topic of wide debate on the CX forum, with some claiming that CX will opup all of MPC members first before doing Oneworld status opups. While I have never personally had an opup from CX as I only fly F with them, have seen many AA EXP opup'ed in LAX. SYD-HKG might have a lot of WPs flying, so SG may not be high enough status for opup on CX, even ignoring the CX vs QF status distinction. I'd expect ADL-HKG or even MEL-HKG to have much better opup chances than SYD-HKG.

I was on one of the last CX flights HKG-MEL to have F (I think around February 2009). I was the only passenger in F not to have been upgraded. I was the only passenger to have the In flight Supervisor come up to me, the only passenger to be offered more caviar, and the only passenger in F who really had attention lavished on them....

number_6 Feb 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Sounds like there were no opups on your flight, just staff flying in F. Were they all middle aged Aussie and Brit males in golfing clothes? :)

ajnz Feb 24, 2011 11:58 pm

I've been op-up'd on CX as a QF Gold, on my first CX sector ever no less. I've also found they generally treat QF Golds well, in that increased baggage allowances have been offered and priority tagging; and onboard I've been greeted and had my QF status acknowledged by the purser, who took my meal order, brought me a pre-departure drink, and a post-departure drink. In Y.

QF Lad Feb 25, 2011 4:12 am

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 15926713)
Sounds like there were no opups on your flight, just staff flying in F. Were they all middle aged Aussie and Brit males in golfing clothes? :)

Actually they were....all except of a teenage guy travelling by himself who knew but was not related to some of the other passengers...I know for sure they were upgrades because they were talking about having been upgraded.

So they could have been staff or relatives of staff.

QF WP Feb 26, 2011 6:39 am

I remember back when I was a QF Gold travelling CX SIN/HKG and BKK (& vv), I often got an upgrade at the Gate....weren't those the days!

I haven't flown CX in years, so no current data. Although we QF WP's are booked on CX257 HKG/LHR in J in late May, but doubt we'll be upgraded to F (2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant ;)).

moa999 Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

no ops on cx here as a plat, albeit a lot of my flights have been in 2-class planes in j.

Cedar Jet Feb 27, 2011 7:16 am

CX overall 9/10.

I just did CX SYD(HKG)DXB RTN in J. Unfortunately no F on A33B which does those sectors but I did have my bags tagged First Class each sector and purser did come up to me personally and introduce herself on each of 4 flights and come up to me and ask if all was OK on two sectors, even did my meal service on a couple of occasions.

I found the entire trip with CX faultless and very very pleasant. When the new J class is introduced I can only image it will be even better. Only down side was the food, I didn't think that was better than QF or their F lounge in HKG.

Until QF comes up with a new Middle East partner(if ever) it will be CX for me all the way.^

Mangi Nambis Mar 4, 2011 4:16 pm

I have found CX to be pretty good with the upgrades when I was G. My flights have been generally AKL-HKG-MNL-HKG-BKK-HKG-AKL, the only thing was that it wasnt the AKL flights that we upgraded, only all the others :-)

Princi Mar 7, 2011 11:44 pm

As a Qantas WP (and former CX DM), I always fly J with CX MEL-HKG so no chance of an op-up, but I know how the DM's are treated.

Normally, I go straight to sleep since I've already eaten better in the QF 1st lounge than I could expect to onboard CX in J.

The one time I actually had dinner on the flight, I received the little welcome card written by the FA's - as is usual for a DM. They even wrote: As a Diamond member, etc. etc.

Maybe they are all pre-written and they just added the name, but the fact that I'm not a DM any more and had checked-in using my QF WP FF number, I thought that was pretty special.

It also made me realise that Platinum / Diamond on QF or CX are pretty interchangable these days - so it's not worth the effort to try and maintain that level of status with both of them.

simongr Mar 8, 2011 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet (Post 15940757)
I found the entire trip with CX faultless and very very pleasant. When the new J class is introduced I can only image it will be even better. Only down side was the food, I didn't think that was better than QF or their F lounge in HKG.

Until QF comes up with a new Middle East partner(if ever) it will be CX for me all the way.^

I agree with the comments on CX - I like the crew and the seats but the food is currently putting me off flying with them- especially for personal rather than business flights. If I was paying cash for my own flights I would be very disappointed with what was being served on board.

Re the mid-east partner - what's wrong with RJ?

tallboy Mar 8, 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Princi (Post 15994386)
As a Qantas WP (and former CX DM), I always fly J with CX MEL-HKG so no chance of an op-up, but I know how the DM's are treated.

Normally, I go straight to sleep since I've already eaten better in the QF 1st lounge than I could expect to onboard CX in J.

The one time I actually had dinner on the flight, I received the little welcome card written by the FA's - as is usual for a DM. They even wrote: As a Diamond member, etc. etc.

Maybe they are all pre-written and they just added the name, but the fact that I'm not a DM any more and had checked-in using my QF WP FF number, I thought that was pretty special.

It also made me realise that Platinum / Diamond on QF or CX are pretty interchangable these days - so it's not worth the effort to try and maintain that level of status with both of them.

This is similar to the experience of myself and a colleague, also QF WP, over several years flying with CX (usually on AY or QF issued tickets) between Australia and Europe.

In my experience I have had several op-ups from J to F (probably 4 or 5 over the years, as has my colleague) on CX flights where F cabins have been available.

In fact it seemed to me that the crew did not really differentiate between me/us and a top-tier Cathay FFer ~ even though very few of the tickets we flew on were actually purchased through CX. They usually provided the hand-written welcome note and the purser personally welcomed me back with a "thanks for flying with us again".

Service in F has always been top-class, with generous offerings of all service items.

^