Wiki Posts
Search

Kids in Qantas J business lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Kids in Qantas J business lounge

Hi

I'm a father who has a 11 year old kid and i was wondering if he can go in the Qantas domestic J lounge? The Mrs, my kid and I will be flying from SYD-PER on J.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE), VA Plat, HH DMD, Accor Plat
Yes of course - he just has to wait for a couple of years before he can go to the bar
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The QF lounges even have kids' play areas, so they are encouraging children (or trying to keep them from being underfoot in the whole lounge). Normal guest rules apply, if not flying J and having their own status based access (I think someone posted that their infant -- under 2 yo -- had earned Emerald status on AA so kids having their own lounge access rights is not that unusual I suppose).
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Qantas88
Hi

I'm a father who has a 11 year old kid and i was wondering if he can go in the Qantas domestic J lounge? The Mrs, my kid and I will be flying from SYD-PER on J.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Qantas88
As all passengers flying in Business Class on Qantas are entitled to use the Business Lougne you should have not problems with your family getting in.
I believe the only restriction for your son is that he goes to the food and beverage area with an adult, of course laws regarding against the supply of alcohol to minors is in place as well.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
As all passengers flying in Business Class on Qantas are entitled to use the Business Lougne you should have not problems with your family getting in.
I believe the only restriction for your son is that he goes to the food and beverage area with an adult, of course laws regarding against the supply of alcohol to minors is in place as well.
Although all are entitled, minors have to be accompanied. I have seen the issue of a 14 y/o travelling alone in business being refused admission

Dave
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for helping me
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Although all are entitled, minors have to be accompanied. I have seen the issue of a 14 y/o travelling alone in business being refused admission

Dave
Where did they send him/her - downstairs with the masses?! My goodness... Surely the teen would have been safer in the lounge?

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Where did they send him/her - downstairs with the masses?! My goodness... Surely the teen would have been safer in the lounge?
Anywhere where people without lounge access go. Don't see how he would be any safer in the lounge
Old Jan 26, 2011, 4:29 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
The QF lounges even have kids' play areas, so they are encouraging children (or trying to keep them from being underfoot in the whole lounge). Normal guest rules apply, if not flying J and having their own status based access (I think someone posted that their infant -- under 2 yo -- had earned Emerald status on AA so kids having their own lounge access rights is not that unusual I suppose).
Actually, I find the lack of kids play areas to be a big downside with QF lounges. Most don't have any. SYD T2 has one but SYD T3 and T1 don't. Oh, and while not oneworld status, MicroDUF could enter lounges when flying on *A.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:39 am

Anywhere where people without lounge access go. Don't see how he would be any safer in the lounge
I disagree, it is a much smaller space and there are staff all around... I have been in so many other lounges and seen teenagers walk up and help themselves to food without being 'shadowed' by an adult. QF - take note.

If the 14 y/o is flying in C, he/she should be allowed to access the lounge... How very age-ist, if not the case. It appears that the airline is wiping their hands of underage pax in lounges, IMHO.

Absolutely wrong.

Cheers,

Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
What are the restrictions?

I remember that prior to my AA PLT membership that I was denied access to the Qantas Club on purely domestic hops (SYD-MEL and SYD-PER were the ones).
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:27 am

I disagree, it is a much smaller space and there are staff all around... I have been in so many other lounges and seen teenagers walk up and help themselves to food without being 'shadowed' by an adult. QF - take note.

The passenger is travelling unaccompanied and is no different to taking a bus or taking a train. This idea that everywhere is dangerous is risible. I would not class an airport as particularly dangerous

Due to licensing restrictions, no minors allowed in without an adult. Since licensing restrictions are ageist, then it is ageist
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by weero
What are the restrictions?

I remember that prior to my AA PLT membership that I was denied access to the Qantas Club on purely domestic hops (SYD-MEL and SYD-PER were the ones).
Depends on when this was. At one time Qantas did not grant lounge access to passengers travelling business class domestically and so OW Sapphire status or higher was needed. With the introduction of business lounges, QF started allowing passengers in based on class of travel
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:21 pm

The passenger is travelling unaccompanied and is no different to taking a bus or taking a train. This idea that everywhere is dangerous is risible. I would not class an airport as particularly dangerous

Due to licensing restrictions, no minors allowed in without an adult. Since licensing restrictions are ageist, then it is ageist
If this pax was on a business class tix - I feel they should be allowed to access the lounge... The age restriction seems ridiculous to me.

Cheers,

Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:09 pm

If this pax was on a business class tix - I feel they should be allowed to access the lounge... The age restriction seems ridiculous to me.
It's annoying but apparantly it is soley to do with licensing regulations and not a deliberately ageist policy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.